You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

Tier 10 choice?

20 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Members
553 posts
5,979 battles

So I started 2 months ago, I've been putting most of my efforts into the German BB line, currently using a Bismarck with a secondary build. 

My worry as I move up to tier 9 and 10 is that the German line isn't going to work well in tier 10 since it sounds like it's a stand off and snipe game. 

Should I stick with the German BB line, or  switch to something else for my adventures into tier 9 and 10?

Edited by Capt_h2o
English from pig english

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles

switch to CV they are a lot off fun and you get to upset people, i had to get it in before people told you anything but CV

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,599 posts
25,771 battles

I'd wait til you reach the FDG. If you do well, you will probably do well in GK. GK is a powerful ship, and leads T10 BBs in several categories. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
25,833 posts
11,141 battles

Try the German BB in the end tiers still if you think they are your cup of tea if not go for something that does stand off and snipe like Republique or Yamato, Montana too to a considerable degree or any other t10 cruisers except for the Des Moines or Minotaur.

Henri IV is my fav cruiser and she does stand off and snipe very well with a good combination range that's 2nd to the Moskva but has the mobility to stand off alot quicker.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
11 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

So I started 2 months ago, I've been putting most of my efforts into the German BB line, currently using a Bismarck with a secondary build. 

My worry as I move up to tier 9 and 10 is that the German line isn't going to work well in tier 10 since it sounds like it's a stand off and snipe game. 

Should I stick with the German BB line, or  switch to something else for my adventures into tier 9 and 10?

It doesn't have to be a stand back and snipe game and good GK owners know they have to move up to use their guns and secondaries 

My advice is, once you have 1 line to T8, start another one, don't be in a rush to T10, even tho at T8 you will face them.

You will gain more experience in how to deal with different BB as you play them, and tactics that work for that BB, then when your shooting them, you know what to expect.

People seem pretty happy with the French line of BB, maybe give them a whirl, Or the USN line, it's up to you.

Before you get locked into another BB line consider DD as well, as knowing how to play a DD well, will make you a better BB capt, in avoiding torps

I won't comment on CA as I hardly play them, same as CV

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[NOBS]
Members
553 posts
5,979 battles
1 hour ago, ausanimal said:

switch to CV they are a lot off fun and you get to upset people, i had to get it in before people told you anything but CV

Play CV, definitely not the line I'm taking as my first tier 10, lol

Think I will keep at the German BB line, but will start playing CA lines as a backup.  I'm not a DD captain, too fast for my old brain and fingers, lol

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles
11 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

Play CV, definitely not the line I'm taking as my first tier 10, lol

Think I will keep at the German BB line, but will start playing CA lines as a backup.  I'm not a DD captain, too fast for my old brain and fingers, lol

CV is a fun class to play but a lot to learn but worth it when you 1 shot ships, just had to get it in before everyone said not to play it

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

The T10 German BB is a very capable ship.

The ship is not commonly seen in competitive play however as the typical role for B.B. in that environment is to delete cruisers, and stay just enough out of the close action that your not constantly being lit up by HE.  The GK is not the best mid range cruiser deterrent, but it can do the job.

In other ways though the GK is really well suited to the kind of play style that most people want to see from a B.B., which includes playing closer to the caps supporting map control, flushing cruisers from entrenched positions with mid range flanking.

Few other ships can bully as effectively as the GK if part of a coordinated force, the coordination part is where things fall apart in any random MM game play.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

A comment on this common meme that tier IX-X battles are "boring", full of cautious play involving stand-off and shoot (or hide).

There is more of a tendency for that at high tiers; players have invested a lot getting there, it's expensive to run ships there, and there is the knowledge that mistakes made will be punished hard by experienced players. But it is just a tendency and you get this behaviour at lower tiers as well, just not as often.

Apart from that some of the most compelling battles I have had are tier IX-X (and I do the poorest re WR there btw). One would expect this with the most evolved ships and some of the best players appearing. I will stick around in a battle once I I am out of it far more in these tiers than any other, just to watch talented players do their thing. Especially useful when they are on a ship you have  yourself. Watch and learn.

Edit: almost forgot to answer the OPs query: definitely Grosser Kurfürst as a powerful all-round battleship. She has everything and is a monster at her tier if the guns are handled well.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[NOBS]
Members
553 posts
5,979 battles
30 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

A comment on this common meme that tier IX-X battles are "boring", full of cautious play involving stand-off and shoot (or hide).

There is more of a tendency for that at high tiers; players have invested a lot getting there, it's expensive to run ships there, and there is the knowledge that mistakes made will be punished hard by experienced players. But it is just a tendency and you get this behaviour at lower tiers as well, just not as often.

Apart from that some of the most compelling battles I have had are tier IX-X (and I do the poorest re WR there btw). One would expect this with the most evolved ships and some of the best players appearing. I will stick around in a battle once I I am out of it far more in these tiers than any other, just to watch talented players do their thing. Especially useful when they are on a ship you have  yourself. Watch and learn.

Edit: almost forgot to answer the OPs query: definitely Grosser Kurfürst as a powerful all-round battleship. She has everything and is a monster at her tier if the guns are handled well.

I almost always stay and watch till the end of a battle, I've learned a lot that way

[INTEL]
Members
6,675 posts
25,826 battles

I did not care for FDG that much, though it is a good ship. GK on the other hand, is excellent. I like it way better than Yamato, and somewhat more than Montana and Conqueror. I do like République better though.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,885 posts
11,604 battles

I found the KMS BB peaked at t8 with Bismarck. The t9/10 take the line in a different direction, not to say they are bad, but I am not a fan of playing them and I think there are better BBs at those tiers. But, everyone has different opinions, I would just stick with the Germans and see what you think. The game is what you make of it and any ship is good in the right hands, most important is you enjoy playing it.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

I'm not a DD captain, too fast for my old brain and fingers, lol

I find playing DDs is the most relaxing.  Yes there are times of intense panic, but mostly you operate in the duality of undetected or running away/smoking up.  Cruisers on the other hand you can't actually control whether you are detected or not and you always must be aware of all enemy BBs.  That's a lot more mentally taxing.   I don't want to discourage you from playing cruisers but its certainly easier to play DDs.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles

FDG is a Mehbote, but the GK is fantastic. Those 128mm secondaries just wreck stuff. You will get to use the secondary built just fine. Just know when and where to push and when to hang back for the right moment. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
6 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

if you like german BB play style, I'd stick with what you know and like.

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

Yamato takes the high ground! Burry Honabru! Burry powerfurr. Good choice.

yamato.thumb.jpg.17db7edbe63a94c8d51736a9244ba3e0.jpg

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles
1 hour ago, Praxz said:

Yamato takes the high ground! Burry Honabru! Burry powerfurr. Good choice.

yamato.thumb.jpg.17db7edbe63a94c8d51736a9244ba3e0.jpg

I remember that bug. It was the best or worst thing ever, depending on your perspective. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles
43 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I remember that bug. It was the best or worst thing ever, depending on your perspective. 

I guess that was the bug also we’re your ship when sunk would jump out of the water do a 180 and then sink  .. very wierd

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles
18 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I guess that was the bug also we’re your ship when sunk would jump out of the water do a 180 and then sink  .. very wierd

Breakdance-Botes :cap_cool:

[SIDE]
Members
1,443 posts
10 hours ago, Visidious said:

The T10 German BB is a very capable ship.

The ship is not commonly seen in competitive play however as the typical role for B.B. in that environment is to delete cruisers, and stay just enough out of the close action that your not constantly being lit up by HE.  The GK is not the best mid range cruiser deterrent, but it can do the job.

In other ways though the GK is really well suited to the kind of play style that most people want to see from a B.B., which includes playing closer to the caps supporting map control, flushing cruisers from entrenched positions with mid range flanking.

Few other ships can bully as effectively as the GK if part of a coordinated force, the coordination part is where things fall apart in any random MM game play.

Boom. Glad I read rest of posts first because I was gonna say the exact same thing. This ship bleeds a lot of hp to HE but she can because she has so much of it and she thrives in the 11-15km environment. Very careful timing and use of repair consumables is a skill you will need to learn. Also, She is a barge so don’t go alone and avoid tight places. It’s one of my favorite tier 10’s

Edited by thebigblue