Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

Just finished writing my fifth book

12 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

... not that I ever expect to see it published. But still, 130k words is nothing to sniff at. After my friend was so badly injured in March (and may never recover), I vowed to try to do something positive in her name, even though I am completely without means. So, after almost three years of putting it off due to depression, I finally sat down over the last week and slashed through the remaining four chapters - I penned the final two tonight.

I know it's not really that great an achievement, and it certainly doesn't help her in any way, but I didn't really have anyone else to share the news with.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 4

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,886 battles

What topic(s)? Assuming something maritime...

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
6 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

What topic(s)? Assuming something maritime...

No, it's a historical fiction and story about native American lore set during the Alaskan Goldrush.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
28 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I know it's not really that great an achievement, and it certainly doesn't help her in any way, but I didn't really have anyone else to share the news with.

You really do seem lonely (not sarcasm), have you considered finding a book appreciation club, people that write for others to read and sit and discuss, it might help

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,886 battles
11 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

No, it's a historical fiction and story about native American lore set during the Alaskan Goldrush.

A number of years ago, I took an interest in mining, read a little on the goldrush, and actually looked at property for sale in Alaska in regards to panning for gold. Then I realized the amount of hard work involved. It's a tough life now; must have been really rough back in the day.

1,542 posts
26 battles

That's amazing! Way to go! I'm still on my first novel, trying to motivate myself to write the final two chapters, so I can appreciate how difficult it is. Would love to read it! 

1,266 posts
13 battles

That's amazing! You should be very proud of your hard work. I'd also love the chance to read it one day. Congrats!

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,583 posts

Hey could you mail some of that writing ability to me? I've hit a writers block

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles
20 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

This sounds interesting. Are you waiting for a book deal or might you publish it on one of the many web publishing sites?

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles
20 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

A number of years ago, I took an interest in mining, read a little on the goldrush, and actually looked at property for sale in Alaska in regards to panning for gold. Then I realized the amount of hard work involved. It's a tough life now; must have been really rough back in the day.

Reminds me of the Marshall Tucker song:

We were digging and shifting from five to five
Selling everything we found just to stay alive

I went "gold mining" once out in Oregon. After a week of freezing myself to death panning gravel in ice cold streams I obtained one flake of something that might be gold. I think it's still folded up in a piece of paper in a book I was reading at the time but I can't recall where the book is now. I think my panning technique was adequate because I found a bunch of lead shot and sinkers, just no gold. I probably wasn't in the right place. 

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

This sounds interesting. Are you waiting for a book deal or might you publish it on one of the many web publishing sites?

I don't really believe in e-publishing. Yes, there are people who have success with it, but largely it's a place where ideas go to die. I've come fairly close to having a previous book published on a few occasions, and I feel that this one is a lot more marketable. So once I have bounced it off a few test readers and cleaned it up a bit, I'll go agent hunting again...

... one of the most supremely difficult and tedious things a human can do :P.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand

1,266 posts
13 battles

I definitely understand what you mean about the e-publishing. A neighbor of mine has been pretty successful with it though, it's gotten a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. Good luck with whatever choice you make. I, along with @WolfofWarship would love to be test readers! 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this