Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Skinned up the paint on my shiny new Varyag today

13 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

The review by LWM on the Varyag had me wondering if it would be a ship I would keep even if it was free.  Well, I'm no expert like her at this game, so what I like may be different than someone who has a better feel for ship performance.

That said, I had a blast driving the Varyag.  It seems like a fast St Louis to me, and deals out great damage.  Since I often get myself too far forward, I found the speed and fast rudder to be very beneficial for making up for my mistakes.  LOL!

I played some Co-op at first then moved up to Random and played 4 games in her.  My team won 2 and lost 2, and 50% always makes me happy.  I sunk 6 ships and averaged 21,948 in damage during the four games.  For me, that is good performance from a fun little ship that WG provided for free for just playing the game.  

Has anybody else had time to drive it yet?

• Cool 1

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

I can only assume the ship was buffed after LWM's review but pre launch because the varyag I used is an absolute beast, maybe even overpowered I cant imagine anyone could actually think its a bad ship.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,895 posts
1,338 battles
8 minutes ago, manon45 said:

I can only assume the ship was buffed after LWM's review but pre launch because the varyag I used is an absolute beast, maybe even overpowered I cant imagine anyone could actually think its a bad ship.

It *is* a Russian premium, after all...

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles

She's good fun, but I have been too busy concentrating on other priorities to do her justice. I will be keeping her, though.

[ICE9]
Members
854 posts

I think the Varyag is fun, especially for a freebie. Looks good, too. Seems to be a little more nimble and a better shooter (but not as tanky) as Oleg or Bogatyr.

Gud bote!

Members
17 posts
1,619 battles

It's fun to play but it doesn't seem to have anything special about it. The St. Louis is better in every way except speed. I feel like it could have had a cool x-factor, like short range torpedoes or good secondaries, or something else to set it apart. It also has no AA. I mean t3 AA is petty awful in general, but the Varyag doesn't even have that. I'm keeping it though, I like the alternative white and gold camo instead of the green, looks sharp. It's also my only Russian ship at the moment, so maybe it will inspire me to start the Russian cruiser line after I finally get my Des Moines. 3/5 stars. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,549 battles
1 hour ago, manon45 said:

The ship might have crappy stats, but it just seems to work. I've taken mine into Co-Op once, and it just seemed to work.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

Well, after I posted this I went back and played three more battles in her.  Lost all three with not very good damage or kill numbers.  This game that I love to play does not often send love back my way.  LOL!

It was not the ships fault, however, as in all three battles the red team had divisioned up clan mates.  Our teams did not,  and I always find it's hard to beat the enemy when they have a cancer division.  

There were a lot of Veryag's playing tonight, so I suppose we'll get a good sample size of her soon.

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

Varyag doesn't deserve the bad rep she's been getting from many in the community, including one or two CCs.  It is just a tier III protected cruiser, after all.  Not sure what these people were expecting.

I've noticed that when the guns do connect they do a surprising amount of damage.  More than I expected.

Also, as I've said in other threads, the Varyag is arguably the most beautifully detailed ship in the game now.  Absolutely gorgeous.  It is obvious that some in Russia care very deeply about this boat.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

Had a good win in her tonight 44k and 7 fires. I like the way the guns feel, if that makes any sense at all. 

I think she is fun..... not Clemson level fun... but fun none the less.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
3 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

is arguably the most beautifully detailed ship in the game now.  Absolutely gorgeous.  It is obvious that some in Russia care very deeply about this boat.

I concur. She is a real beauty.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

OK, revisiting this, as I am having a blast in this ship.

Lost my first three games, and could not figure out what I needed to do. Decided to try playing it like I play a Cleveland, keep my distance, and just keep shooting. Bingo, that was the right choice. Won 4 out of the next 5, and the damage was way up. 

The hidden super-power of the Varyag is that she is "...a nimble little minx". She can dance away from the floaty shells of most of the Tier III cruisers. Allowing her to deal more damage than she gets in return. She is quick enough to dodge BB salvos if you are watching closely enough.

The guns are really accurate once you get the lead down. BBs are easy to hit at your max stock range (11k). She lights fires, and can slam DDs for half their HP in one salvo.

Got into a Pre-Dread fight with a Diana. It was Epic. Finally knocked her engine out and smothered her in HE as she coasted to a stop. Glorious Boom!:fish_viking:

She is too fragile to be truly beasty, but man is this a fun boat! :cap_rambo:

Sign in to follow this