You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Ranked as a sales tactic

21 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

Several seasons ago, Ranked was tier 7 ships.  Belfast was for sale and proved to be OP.  I am sure Belfast's flew off the virtual shelves as players saw it as a possible way to speed their climb in ranks.

When Ranked was tier 6, I think Arizona was for sale.  I'm sure they sold a BUNCH of them.

This season, Loyang is for sale.  At first I saw a few here and there.  Now I see them in nearly every Ranked game.  They must be selling well, too.  I bought one with the doubloons from the Steam bundles.  I bought Leningrad first because it was the #1 available ship I wanted.  Loyang was #2.  Now that I am playing Ranked, however, I will admit I am getting some use out of that new purchase.  Alabama and HSF Harekaze are two more ships I have seen an increase of since the first few days of this Ranked season.

Sometimes the Ranked meta can vary from predictions, but I'm betting WG has a pretty darned good idea what ships to have available when a Ranked season starts.  I have no doubt they get a nice sales spike from it.  Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Edited by desmo_2

[WSU]
[WSU]
Members
20 posts
7,008 battles

I bought a Harekaze to try in ranked. Talk about pissing money away... I regret buying it. My Kagero is just as good, and I earned it free.

• Funny 1

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

Well Loyang was for sale last season and it was pretty popular then too. Mainly because the hydro can easily win caps.

Harekaze is a fun little ship you just have to have a great captain and play it differently than most.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,585 battles
27 minutes ago, Thamelas said:

I bought a Harekaze to try in ranked. Talk about pissing money away... I regret buying it. My Kagero is just as good, and I earned it free.

Harekaze is awesome Kagero is not as gud lool

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
29 minutes ago, Thamelas said:

Harekaze is an awesome ship and if you were able to afford to get one then just figure it out.

I have seen players use it very well so many times. It has the power of Kagero and Akizuki combined into 1 DD.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,839 posts
1,327 battles

Pretty smart sales tactic, actually.  Not sure why people blame the company for selling stuff.   If you don't like the ships, ffs, don't buy them...why's that so difficult for people to understand?

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles
12 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Pretty smart sales tactic, actually.  Not sure why people blame the company for selling stuff.   If you don't like the ships, ffs, don't buy them...why's that so difficult for people to understand?

Did you gather from my post that I was blaming them for selling stuff?

Members
1,327 posts
501 battles

KIEV....... pretty much all you need really...
MAYBE the LY is good cause of radar... but KIEV with 17 pt cap can pretty much beat any DD head to head and annoy the living crapout of any BB....
Moving from 14 to 11 mostly with it, like last season is fun... and very easy if you know how to Kiev.... it is fast.... turns fast and hits like Lucille....(TWD watchers know what Lucille is)

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

Lo Yang was a popular ship for some time. That they gave her German T10 hydro range didn't hurt her. But honestly I do better with the Akizuki.

[RLGN]
Members
8,247 posts
17,264 battles
24 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

If you like Russian destroyers? Otherwise, not so much.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,839 posts
1,327 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Did you gather from my post that I was blaming them for selling stuff?

Nah, not really, but it always seems like someone does. :cap_cool:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
12 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

This season, Loyang is for sale.  At first I saw a few here and there.  Now I see them in nearly every Ranked game. 

It's not a new thing. The message I got through watching a lot of YouTube replays from last season of Ranked is that all else being equal, you cannot go too far wrong if you bring a Lo Yang to Ranked as your choice of destroyer.

[POP]
Members
855 posts
9,759 battles

I think it was the right thing to do, I'm glad wargaming had Ranked bundles for players to choose from.

Even the LoYang is for sale!

This lets newer players experience ranked for a little cash.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,330 battles
12 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

MAYBE the LY is good cause of radar... but KIEV with 17 pt cap can pretty much beat any DD head to head and annoy the living crapout of any BB....
Moving from 14 to 11 mostly with it, like last season is fun... and very easy if you know how to Kiev.... it is fast.... turns fast and hits like Lucille....(TWD watchers know what Lucille is)

I've been using Kiev and Loyang in ranked.  Kiev is a fun DD hunter and I haven't lost a single engagement with another DD in Kiev in ranked.  Can't say the same for cruisers though...  In the 2nd league DDs would spot me and their cruiser friend would light me up.

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
8,602 battles
13 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

When you haven't attacked someone on the forum for 5 minutes. 

14358899.jpg

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
14 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Several seasons ago, Ranked was tier 7 ships.  Belfast was for sale and proved to be OP.  I am sure Belfast's flew off the virtual shelves as players saw it as a possible way to speed their climb in ranks.

When Ranked was tier 6, I think Arizona was for sale.  I'm sure they sold a BUNCH of them.

This season, Loyang is for sale.  At first I saw a few here and there.  Now I see them in nearly every Ranked game.  They must be selling well, too.  I bought one with the doubloons from the Steam bundles.  I bought Leningrad first because it was the #1 available ship I wanted.  Loyang was #2.  Now that I am playing Ranked, however, I will admit I am getting some use out of that new purchase.  Alabama and HSF Harekaze are two more ships I have seen an increase of since the first few days of this Ranked season.

Sometimes the Ranked meta can vary from predictions, but I'm betting WG has a pretty darned good idea what ships to have available when a Ranked season starts.  I have no doubt they get a nice sales spike from it.  Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Not only that but it’s pretty much a given that the buying of consumables goes up for rank battles... ranked is a money maker

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
15 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Nope...WoWs is clearly a Play For Free Game.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,784 battles
13 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

American paranoia, about being ripped off , by a foreign entity. LOL :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_popcorn::etc_swear::Smile_sceptic:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
16 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Nope...WoWs is clearly a Play For Free Game.

That it is; that it is. A little bit of cash judiciously applied can help (e.g. premium camo to boost XP earnings for grinds or free XP generation). But ultimately victory = ship + captain + team, and the tastiest salt is that of people who spend big on the first and don't put effort into developing the second or working with the third. It's no good having all the flags and camo in the world loaded on if you get yourself blown up in the first five minutes and end up on the bottom of the losing team.

[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,341 battles
14 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Harekaze is an awesome ship and if you were able to afford to get one then just figure it out.

I have seen players use it very well so many times. It has the power of Kagero and Akizuki combined into 1 DD.

It has less HP than both, worse torps than the the Kagero, and and 25% less firepower than the Akizuki, It's a fun ship to mess around with in randoms, but I don't think it's a good choice at all for competitive.

[PSP]
Members
6,254 posts
8,892 battles

If I were running WOWS I'd put Premium ships on sale for use in Ranked; it's just good business practice. Nothing wrong with putting ships up for sale if you don't have to use them. Now, if they required a purchased Premium to play a certain game type that would be another story. However, WOWS goes the other way -- look at how they gave everyone tier 10 loaners for use in clan battles.

Edited by Snargfargle