Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Questions about the German Tier X GK

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

Just bought this beauty for the first time today and wanted to know what the best build for it? From people who have it what is your recommendations for upgrades and cpt points. How good of a ship is she. TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,811 posts
9,887 battles

Did you first use google, youtube and "search" function ?? before asking question

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

GK is a monster.  I'm currently running it with a full secondary build.  Of my 3 times breaking 200K, 2 of those were in Kurfurst.

Priority Target/Preventative Maintenance,

Expert Marksman

BFT

AFT/IFHE/Manual Secondaries

 

Secondary Modifications 2 and 3

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

I use a hybrid secondary/main build with man secs and the main batt disp mod.  Then of course priority target, adrenaline rush, fire prevention.  I don't bother with concealment on it, they can see me and be scared. BFT AFT Superintendent and the dual fighter for the leftover point.  Also I run the mod to protect the secondaries and AA mounts from being blown away.

Forgot the rudder shift mod; I'm a dodger and regularly avoid mega salvos even in the GK.  Think I have the main batt reload mod also.  Those things are a delete button so I like em to shoot as fast as possible.

Edited by BullHalsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
40 posts
4,323 battles
7 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

GK is a monster.  I'm currently running it with a full secondary build.  Of my 3 times breaking 200K, 2 of those were in Kurfurst.

Priority Target/Preventative Maintenance,

Expert Marksman

BFT

AFT/IFHE/Manual Secondaries

 

Secondary Modifications 2 and 3

 

 

Second this. The other main question is just how close you want to fight at. That will affect the choice of gun caliber on the mains. The 420s are a little better at range, but the 406's rate of fire is more important when you're muzzle to muzzle with someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
1 minute ago, andarragh21 said:

Second this. The other main question is just how close you want to fight at. That will affect the choice of gun caliber on the mains. The 420s are a little better at range, but the 406's rate of fire is more important when you're muzzle to muzzle with someone.

I'm kinda half-and-half on that.  What I've found (anecdotally, in my own humble experience) is that the 420s provide more reliable penetration at medium to long ranges.  Typically, I'll take that added reliability over the reload disadvantage.  After all, it only takes a couple of all-bounce salvos to negate that faster reload entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
5 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

I'm kinda half-and-half on that.  What I've found (anecdotally, in my own humble experience) is that the 420s provide more reliable penetration at medium to long ranges.  Typically, I'll take that added reliability over the reload disadvantage.  After all, it only takes a couple of all-bounce salvos to negate that faster reload entirely.

Yeah I use the 420s for the pen at range; also I don't worry about being too anal in that aspect.  Its still a game; gimme the big guns and the rest will take care of itself, hopefully with a resounding explosion.  Not only that, but you can generally count on AR being a factor by the time you're close in.

Edited by BullHalsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
9 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Yeah I use the 420s for the pen at range; also I don't worry about being too anal in that aspect.  Its still a game; gimme the big guns and the rest will take care of itself, hopefully with a resounding explosion.  Not only that, but you can generally count on AR being a factor by the time you're close in.

Failing that, Kurfurst makes a hell of a torpedo if you drive it down a bow-in Yamato's throat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
1 minute ago, DerKrampus said:

Failing that, Kurfurst makes a hell of a torpedo if you drive it down a bow-in Yamato's throat.

Ever bow tank a Yammy in a Moskva?  Watched Flamu do it and did the same on my 1st try.  Really blew the guy's mind, then he finally turned to RUN from me and I horseblasted the rest of him with AP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
26 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Ever bow tank a Yammy in a Moskva?  Watched Flamu do it and did the same on my 1st try.  Really blew the guy's mind, then he finally turned to RUN from me and I horseblasted the rest of him with AP.

I really haven't gotten the moskva figured out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
14 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

I really haven't gotten the moskva figured out yet.

As a niche thing, you can bow on a Yammy with it.  Show some broadside and bait him to fire, then turn back to about a 15 deg angle the moment he fires...shells glance off the belt armor.  All the while HE burning him in the face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

As for the Kurfurst, I JUST finished uploading the video of my last battle in it.  I think its strengths and weaknesses alike were nicely put on display.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Played plenty of matches with the 420's...  The GK is much better with the smaller caliber guns.. at least for me.

The small guns give me 25.5 second reload, 39.0 sec 180 turret turn, 268 max dispersion w/40% fire chance HE. Max range of 20.6 with 810 m/s initial velocity.

The big guns would give 28.2 second reload (+2.7 sec longer reload), same turret rotation, with slight increases in damage (200 HE, 800AP). 

For me, the determining factor for the small guns was faster reload and believe it or not, accuracy and the number of citadels I could get with them. You may want to try both... but the bigger guns are 2.5M creds, slower to reload. 

Commander is:

1. PT
2. EM, AR
3. BFT, DE
4. MFC for secondaries, AFT

Mike Yankee Soxisix for 5% range increase on secondaries. ALWAYS. 
India Delta +20% HP recovery. ALWAYS. 
Rest of flags up to you. 

Works for me - but remember I'm just an average player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
475 posts
5,729 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Just bought this beauty for the first time today and wanted to know what the best build for it? From people who have it what is your recommendations for upgrades and cpt points. How good of a ship is she. TIA

PT, AR, BFT,AFT, MFC, FP, PM 

Edited by _no_one_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,833
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,155 posts
14,555 battles

Secondary Build can still work for GK but it requires quite a bit of patience.

I remember experimenting in the first month or two that I got GK when the German BB Line was new, by going with a Main Battery - Stealth Build.  It was alright, but I already had IJN & USN BB Lines based around their Main Batteries, so I went back to Secondaries Build on GK.

 

Secondary - Stealth or IFHE Secondaries Build

19pt Capt

PT & PM

AR

BFT

Manual Secondaries & AFT & CE

Upgrades: AAM1, DCSM1, SBM2, DCSM2 (very important IMO since you're not taking BoS, FP in this build), CSM1, MBM3 or SBM3

Note:  This regular Secondaries Build still maintains a Stealth Build.  There is also the ultra specialist Secondaries Build with IFHE.  Basically give up CE to have IFHE.  I have been on the receiving end of these ultra-rare IFHE Secondary GK Builds and it is not pleasant.  But giving up CE for IFHE and making a Secondaries Build, which is already expensive, even more expensive in Captain Points, may be too much for most out there.

 

Main Battery - Survival - Stealth Build

19pt Capt

PT or PM

AR

BoS & SI

FP & CE

Upgrades:  MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, DCSM2, CSM1, MBM3

Note:  Maximum building against the threat of Fires, and still maintaining a Stealth Build, which is right there with Montana.

 

So which one?  I still use a Secondaries Build on GK.  Some still do.  But you will also come across German BB players that say they are struggling with Secondary Builds in Tier IX-X.  OP, I'm not sure how you did with Bismarck / Tirpitz, FDG when fighting in a Tier VIII-X match while using a Secondaries Build.  If you were struggling with that build then I suggest doing the Main Battery - Survival - Stealth Build.  If you were still kicking butt in a Secondaries Build, then GK built in such a way will still work out very well.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
6 hours ago, DerKrampus said:

GK is a monster.  I'm currently running it with a full secondary build.  Of my 3 times breaking 200K, 2 of those were in Kurfurst.

Priority Target/Preventative Maintenance,

Expert Marksman

BFT

AFT/IFHE/Manual Secondaries

 

Secondary Modifications 2 and 3

 

 

That ^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2 posts
4,923 battles

Preventative Maintenance/Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

BFT

AFT/IFHE/Manual Secondaries

 

406mm Guns

 

Target acquisition mod/secondary mods 1&2/damacon 1&2 

 

Consumable reload / secondary booster / increased repair party flags

 

Strat - sail towards enemy at angles, use trollbow and belt to shatter and bounce long range trash. Spotter plane / hydro to see dds, push corners + cruisers hard

 

If you come upon a bowtanking bb (yam/iowa etc) target secondaries and use mains for something else. At 8km your ifhe popguns will disintegrate a full hp iowa or yam in like 2 minutes, if that. 

 

You will always be spotted in open water, plan your moves ahead and use cover to get close to enemy ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×