You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LukeV

Calling all Des Moines Captains.

25 comments in this topic

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,672 battles

Like many people, I have always ran the module that increases rudder shift on the Des Moines, as well as on many (if not all) other cruisers.

However, I find the optimal game-play of the Des Moines is finding island cover close to a cap (for radar), and stealth firing over the island cover. The rudder shift seems somewhat wasted on this game play. I know Flamu runs Damage Control on his, but I do not feel this would fit my playstyle.

Has anyone had experience running the Propulsion Mod on the Des Moines, and can you recommend it? I find myself floating sometimes in and out of cover at inconvenient times, usually because I misjudged my throttle.

I would like to hear your builds and experiences.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I run Propulsion Modification. 

Someone with way too much time on there hands did a motion study of WOW ships outfitted with various modules.  They posted their results on reddit months ago.  Their conclusions were that the rudder shift upgrade - with only a very small handful of exceptions -- is almost a throw away upgrade.  It resulted in very little in-game benefit.  

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,683 battles

The propulsion module has its uses for island camping. It also increases the speed at which you accelerate if you shift your throttle up and down a lot. It doesn't help you slow down faster though.

I still use the steering gear mod since I've grown used to how my ship handles with the mod installed. If I take it off, the Des Moines feels more sluggish, and I constantly find myself over steering because of it. I personally prefer the more responsive rudder over a stronger engine. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,230 battles

I use propulsion in most of my cruisers/dds.

[NUWES]
Members
1,664 posts
5,598 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Someone with way too much time on there hands did a motion study of WOW ships outfitted with various modules.  They posted their results on reddit months ago.  Their conclusions were that the rudder shift upgrade - with only a very small handful of exceptions -- is almost a throw away upgrade.  It resulted in very little in-game benefit.  

I don't suppose you have a link to that? I would love to see his results. I run rudder shift, but I was starting to suspect that and that propulsion might be better. I've had far more instances where I got killed because I couldn't accelerate from stop fast enough than ones where a couple of more degrees of rudder shift would've saved me. 

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I would love to see the link too. I was actually getting ready to change a few ships to steering, because i am not finding some responsive enough to dodge incoming.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Someone with way too much time on there hands did a motion study of WOW ships outfitted with various modules.

I'm pretty sure that "someone" was @LittleWhiteMouse, whom I guarantee you does NOT have "way too much time on her hands."

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
30 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I don't suppose you have a link to that? I would love to see his results

You can probably PM LWM or post on one of her posts. She is very good at answering others questions.

7 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I would love to see the link too.

Ditto here, too!

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,759 battles

well that modules does not help with decelerating, so i dont know how much that's gonna help des moines....

i find that most of the time i am stuck in awkward situations because i cant slow down in time, not that i cant speed up fast enough

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,645 battles

If you are travelling at high speeds often and wasd alot you have the right mod installed.... If you are island camping or a smoke shooting DD or cruiser the engine boost is better for sure just ask yourself do I need to get moving faster to get outa trouble with my playstyle or am I already moving full speed during my attacks ( engine boost does nothing for you if that's the case)

Edited by GuntherPrein

[WOLF1]
Members
2,031 posts

i don't have DM yet, but from my exp with USN cruisers their best advantage is being agile and can evade shells like no other can, especially at t8+, tell me if i am wrong.

i was about to buy the Moskva but now i want to get the DM instead, and rudder shift is a must have, i don't hide behind island i think that's sitting duck

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
4,804 battles
27 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I'm pretty sure that "someone" was @LittleWhiteMouse, whom I guarantee you does NOT have "way too much time on her hands."

I believe I recall that article as well and it made several good points. And your most assuredly correct about LWM! 

[LUCK]
Members
1,312 posts
19,643 battles

This is my suggestion for an Atlanta buff given the island hugging. Of course I get shouted down "Atlanta is fine, git gud!"

Seems like a reasonable thing for USN - RN ships have good acceleration. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,050 posts
3 hours ago, LukeV said:

Like many people, I have always ran the module that increases rudder shift on the Des Moines, as well as on many (if not all) other cruisers.

However, I find the optimal game-play of the Des Moines is finding island cover close to a cap (for radar), and stealth firing over the island cover. The rudder shift seems somewhat wasted on this game play. I know Flamu runs Damage Control on his, but I do not feel this would fit my playstyle.

Has anyone had experience running the Propulsion Mod on the Des Moines, and can you recommend it? I find myself floating sometimes in and out of cover at inconvenient times, usually because I misjudged my throttle.

I would like to hear your builds and experiences.

56 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I would love to see the link too. I was actually getting ready to change a few ships to steering, because i am not finding some responsive enough to dodge incoming.

Aw crap it didn't  work sorry

47 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You can probably PM LWM or post on one of her posts. She is very good at answering others questions.

Ditto here, too!

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments68ja3m/recommend            

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,738 battles

I run propulsion in many ships. The maps are so choked with islands I find it to be super useful. But I can see why Flamu runs damage, the HE environment in the high tiers is absurd. 

I had so much fun in DM in Space Battles I bought it it back to try it again. First time I played it I didn't really get how to play it. So this thread is very timely for me.

[UEFN]
Members
389 posts
11,796 battles

DM has very slow acceleration comparing to other cruisers, i use Propulsion Mod and it helped a great deal as a support role to parked near the cap to support and radar for our DD.  The propulsion mod saved me a few times when i had to get out of the hiding spot quickly to dodge incoming torpedoes.   Personally i get more use out of Propulsion module than rudder shift in general.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,011 posts
9,077 battles
18 hours ago, Umikami said:

Yeah but she probably needs to get a real job. Her WOWS play testing is really great, but it’s not a long term career. 

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,292 battles

I still use rudder shift because I do not spend much time Camping behind islands or sitting still needing to accelerate quickly.

I am an open water DesMoines player the majority of time in randoms so i need any help i can get to dodge incoming shells.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,126 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

Yeah but she probably needs to get a real job. Her WOWS play testing is really great, but it’s not a long term career. 

Seems like a pretty silly assumption you are making about someone you don't know

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

. . . aaaannnnnd. . . . this is why I never play my Des Moines.  She's built to island-camp.  I hate island camping, and usually try and flank and hunt these people down.

It's not their fault really.  It's because WG doesn't make cruisers survivable enough.  The result is poor gameplay especially at the upper tiers.

Finally, with Prinz Eugen we have a cruiser tough enough to be played as a normal ship, not a stationary platform.

/rant

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,851 posts
13,070 battles

LOL, I've been running DM for a long time.  TBH...I don't know what I spec'd.  But I'll check tonight.  Of course, not remembering what I spec, and the fact I didn't speck anything other than what I can't remember, I doubt I can provide a good answer for OP's query.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles
22 hours ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I am at a point now that more and more of my higher tier BBs are running DCSM2 instead of SGM2.  Yamato was my first and it has only spread among my Tier IX-X BBs.  I haven't done this yet on my Cruisers but it may be time to do so.  High Tier USN Cruisers are very static in their fighting, so SGM2 is pretty pointless.

19 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I run propulsion in many ships. The maps are so choked with islands I find it to be super useful. But I can see why Flamu runs damage, the HE environment in the high tiers is absurd. 

I had so much fun in DM in Space Battles I bought it it back to try it again. First time I played it I didn't really get how to play it. So this thread is very timely for me.

I had a lot of problems with DM at first, she was my first Tier X Cruiser.  It took me having a lot more experience with the game and coming back to her that I learned to really make her shine.  She is now my favorite and I feel, most effective Tier X Cruiser to sway things towards a victory.

What made things different for me using DM?  It's how I fundamentally played.  I tried using her like a "normal" open water, gun spamming Cruiser.  She's actually the worst for that kind of job, Hindenburg, Zao, Henri IV, Moskva are far better in that capacity.  Where DM really shines is contesting the caps and knowing when to push, harass, kill Destroyers.  That's how she wins matches, at least for me, and I love her for that.

2xjWglz.jpg

OKDYWG8.gif

DM for me is my lowest Damage Average Tier X Cruiser by a significant margin, yet I do the most winning and have a good XP Average with her.

I'm going to love Worcester when she comes out, I intend to play her similarly.  However, 2 things about Worcester do concern me.  She doesn't have the 27mm bow of DM and relying on 152mm guns stresses the build to integrate IFHE.  DM's 203mm shells don't need no stinking IFHE bullsh*t and they shoot fast, and are punishing shells.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,362 battles

I like propulsion mod on any corner-play cruiser

Edited by driedjello

Members
1,936 posts
23 hours ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Nevermind

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad