You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Drifter_X

Any Theorys Of CV Gameplay Changes?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
59 posts
4,620 battles

I would like to hear from the hive mind about what is expected in the way CV gameplay will change. A few things I would like to mention is that the way fighters behave in the first place is like they are on rails, and truly only just animated representations to make it look like their are aircraft in the game. There is no altitude axis to climb, the attack animations are entirely scripted, and quite frankly the visuals of aircraft, AA, and dogfights are almost unnoticeable boring. Based on the way the game is designed, I don't see anything very pleasing coming that would be dynamic enough to fit in.

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

I would think Wargaming will have to massively upgrade their servers and game code if the CV aircraft were to be changed and become fair more complex in how their move and fight. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
59 posts
4,620 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would think Wargaming will have to massively upgrade their servers and game code if the CV aircraft were to be changed and become fair more complex in how their move and fight. 

Given this, its possible the reworks may not change the core mechanics significantly. therefore the question would be whether they are going to change carrier play in a significant way. I say no. I would love to have some data where they are pouring their resources. This would give us an idea of whats going on.

Edited by Drifter_X

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles
4 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

Given this, its possible the reworks may not change the core mechanics significantly. therefore the question would be whether they are going to change carrier play in a significant way. I say no. I would love to have some data where they are pouring their resources. This would give us an idea of whats going on.

I have played other games where you have carriers that function like those in Wows and Carriers that allow far great control over their units and they are totally different and require a lot of changes in game structure apparently.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,809 posts
15,355 battles

Fighters will be removed completely. Manual drops will be removed completely, Squadron loadouts will be standardized so they are the same for every ship, both in numbers per squadron and in DBs/Torp squadrons per CV tier. All planes flown off a CV will be the same tier as the CV. Any other changes you're looking for?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

My thoughts are that the player will be removed from the cockpit with alt attacks being removed. Load out choices will be limited or removed altogether. I would like to see two attack options for both torpedo & dive bombers, a close in attack with a high hit probability but with AA having increase effect and a farther out and far less effective attack with reduced AA effect.

Members
2,515 posts
5,500 battles

My thinking is that WOW CV gameplay wil be more like World of Airplanes.  Instead of being a Captain you will be a Pilot. You would fly each squadron as a leader and attack a enemy target. Depending on the loadout you have you could torp, bomb or strafe your enemies.  Your squad would mirror what you do.  Once done you can  spawn on your CV and take another squad out. In the meanwhile you should have a option to program your returning squad you were in as to HOW to get back.

Could be safest - (avoiding enemy ships) or shortest distance but getting near enemy ships or you program way points paths on the map.

Just to clairify when i said "FLY" I mean it literally as in you would probably need a joystick for best results. to fly your plane.  

The CV would be manual controlled as it is now.  

With airplanes being totally controlled by the player it would be good to have ships themselves have manual AA to counter the CV Pilots.  

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,192 battles
2 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

I would like to hear from the hive mind about what is expected in the way CV gameplay will change. A few things I would like to mention is that the way fighters behave in the first place is like they are on rails, and truly only just animated representations to make it look like their are aircraft in the game. There is no altitude axis to climb, the attack animations are entirely scripted, and quite frankly the visuals of aircraft, AA, and dogfights are almost unnoticeable boring. Based on the way the game is designed, I don't see anything very pleasing coming that would be dynamic enough to fit in.

Based on the description from one CC at the Wargaming CC summit we are looking at a system that is similar to Battlestations;  Pacific. Which I find very exciting.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
735 posts
11,979 battles

Some wild-xxx guesses, in no particular order:

- Reduced alpha-strike damage potential
- Removal of manual drops, perhaps with multiple auto-drop formations selectable at time of attack
- Removal of strafe mechanic
- Standardized number of planes per ship and planes per attack group across all nations
- Standardized load-out options across all nations
- Increased XP rewards for: spotting and damage on spotting
- "Kill Assist" rewards for ships destroyed as a direct result of spotting from planes
- Improved secondary armament

But really... who knows? I imagine they have to make some dramatic changes, though, if we are to have carriers being played consistently going forward. It seems the skill gap between experienced and inexperienced CV captains is a pretty big factor in team win/loss, so I am guessing there will be efforts made to even the playing field a bit between the impact a unicum and average players can have with a CV in each game.

I really liked playing CVs when I was playing them. Stopped when WG announced late 2016 that 2017 would be "The Year of the CV" in anticipation of game-play changes. But even then I was really noticing the gap between experienced and less experienced CV captains their ability to influence a game.

Respects,

Am

[WOLF7]
Members
128 posts
3,275 battles

I heard u Will be able to strafe small ships and do kamikaze attacks. If u play japanese CV u Will hear ur pilots screaming=Banzai!! 

• Cool 1

Members
1,617 posts
3,582 battles

Well what we have heard so far is that you will only control one squadron at a time but will be able to designate where on the target ship you want to land your ordinance.  This probably means drop indicators for bombs and drop lines for torpedoes.  From what I am hearing?  Its going to be relatively easy in comparison to current CV mechanics.

So if I had to wager?  You won't control your altitude or anything like that ((The goal is to bring them more in line with ships,  and ships can't change depth)) but you'll control attack vector and  drop timing.  My HOPE is that you can give general orders to your other squadrons so you can still have attack waves and so we don't just send in one squadron at a time.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles
7 hours ago, Palladia said:

Well what we have heard so far is that you will only control one squadron at a time but will be able to designate where on the target ship you want to land your ordinance.  This probably means drop indicators for bombs and drop lines for torpedoes.  From what I am hearing?  Its going to be relatively easy in comparison to current CV mechanics.

So if I had to wager?  You won't control your altitude or anything like that ((The goal is to bring them more in line with ships,  and ships can't change depth)) but you'll control attack vector and  drop timing.  My HOPE is that you can give general orders to your other squadrons so you can still have attack waves and so we don't just send in one squadron at a time.

also captain skills for CV are going to be changed come the rework as some we have now won't matter as much or do anything come it

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
259 posts
2,199 battles

Like the KanColle archers where you shoot your planes like ordinance?  Concentrate on air-to-ship strikes with dogfighting minimized.  Nothing like a flight simulator, or everyone would lag out of the game every time an airstrike launches from a carrier.  It might be like battleships, except with a much, much longer range.  

Anyway, that's my ideas if WG is trying to unify the playing mechanics between the ship classes.  Other than that, I have no clue.