You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

Salt Potatoes

21 comments in this topic

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles

It occurred to me that two very common words on the forum are salt and potato. Well guess what? They're a real thing, from Central New York - Syracuse.

Now don't run off to the store and buy some small potatoes and boil them salt, they don't taste the same. The soil and specific potatoes grown in that area are much tastier than elsewhere.

If you're ever in the Syracuse area, I suggest when it's summer, try some.

Unfortunately, Syracuse only has two seasons: Winter and the 4th of July hence my relocation to a warmer climate.

Useless info as a pause to the Ranked season threads.

Carry on.

Salt Potatoes

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,614 posts
9,004 battles

The recipe will work if you grow your own, you need young potatoes.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

The link gives the potato::salt ratio, but what about the initial water::salt ratio?  I'm assuming it is pretty extreme.  Anyway, could be fun to try; one may be missing the exclusive terroir of Syracuse but other new or fingerling potatoes should work.

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
2 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

The link gives the potato::salt ratio, but what about the initial water::salt ratio?  I'm assuming it is pretty extreme.  Anyway, could be fun to try; one may be missing the exclusive terroir of Syracuse but other new or fingerling potatoes should work.

I've tried, they're aren't the same.

Members
4,547 posts
6,445 battles

American was made great by the potato. Staple. Cheap. Easy to cook in many different ways. My Mom's mashed potatoes with chicken gravy were the BEST growing up back on the farm. The best, and don't dare argue with me bout that or I will get mad and hold my breath till I turn blue....or pink. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I'm surprised we haven't branched off to more specific types of potatoes. Would a ship that poorly manages damage control/repair party and burns down be a baked potato, or a fry?

I assume someone who lets a low health ship sink them with a ram is a mashed potato.

Those who make themselves easy targets for torpedoes are potato soup.

What else?

• Funny 3

Members
4,547 posts
6,445 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

I'm surprised we haven't branched off to more specific types of potatoes. Would a ship that poorly manages damage control/repair party and burns down be a baked potato, or a fry?

I assume someone who lets a low health ship sink them with a ram is a mashed potato.

What else?

Burns down?  That's a fry. If you drive a ship named after any Southern state or town you are a "tater". 

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

What else?

If you are embarrassed by an Alsace - i.e., cheesed off by the creme-de-la-creme of tier 9 battleships - you are a potato au gratin.

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

It occurred to me that two very common words on the forum are salt and potato. Well guess what? They're a real thing, from Central New York - Syracuse.

need cheese and bacon

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
12 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I made an Alsace into a French fry the other day. Got an arsonist too.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

need cheese and bacon

Heresy. Just butter, melted and lots of it.

Maybe a side of Crestor but nothing else.

[PVE]
Members
1,603 posts
6,757 battles
18 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Burns down?  That's a fry. If you drive a ship named after any Southern state or town you are a "tater". 

and their children are 'tater tots'? LOL

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

not heresy -- this is scientifically proven.  I believe there is a study by the University of Saskatchewan that will support my bacon and cheese statement.  

• Funny 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
13 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

not heresy -- this is scientifically proven.  I believe there is a study by the University of Saskatchewan that will support my bacon and cheese statement.  

Wisconsin would have been more believable.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,601 posts
4,025 battles
56 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I'd have said roasted...

Members
411 posts

I use that term for players in Ranked who get bitter at other players, even though their own performance lacked.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
8 minutes ago, KonigstigerVII said:

I use that term for players in Ranked who get bitter at other players, even though their own performance lacked.

good definition for the wiki

360 posts
194 battles

Net result of this thread, I now really wish they still made those Beer and Brats potato chips. The ones a friend described as "tasting like hot dog water."

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

America was made great by the potato. 

Make Potatoes Great Again?