You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog-ST Unique Commanders/Brothers

41 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,580 battles

ST. Unique commanders.

German unique commanders Franz von Jütland and Reinhard von Jütland are added to the game. They will have the following improved skills:

Vigilance
+35% to acquisition range of torpedoes (instead of 25%)

Jack of All Trades
-10% to reload time of all mounted consumables (instead of -5%)

"Brothers" of several other unique commanders are also added to the game. They will have the same improved skills as their "siblings". Their names are: Vasily Znamensky, Bert Dunkirk and Charles-Henri Honoré.

92B38470-362B-4FB2-A957-40227A1B7BFB.jpeg

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles

So this is in addition to the special German commander with these skills available from the May 18 campaign?

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,994 battles

Sounds like a good fit for KM CA/DD CO's.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles

So they are just doubling up commanders for each specific nation.  I'm assuming this is to appease those who missed out on the originals the first time.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,233 posts
12,772 battles

They're not even trying to be historical with these anymore, are they.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,053 battles
9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

So they are just doubling up commanders for each specific nation.  I'm assuming this is to appease those who missed out on the originals the first time.

After the Seagal missions ended they said that there would opportunities to get him again. I guess since his issues they are doing this instead.

6 minutes ago, Lert said:

No they are not but these are much better than John Doe.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
7,100 battles

All these boys, all these fictional w.., m... captains/ And still not even a fictional fem... in sight, not a single sister, no Jane Dunkirk. Classy Wargaming, so very classy. And with all these new commanders, not a single one with a cv skill. (extra winge)

• Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Waiting patiently for Isoroku's little brother:  Yamamoto Bob.

-R

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts

Unleash the battle brothers. Now if only we had them during the spess battles.

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Honestly, I'm really puzzled by this.  It's not even to create artificial scarcity.  If so, why announce the German brothers arriving at the same time?  I imagine they'll no longer be available at about the same time as well.  

Odd.

-R

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nope, just loading them up with gimmicks, throwing them against the wall, and seeing which ones stick ...

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
7,100 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

So unique commanders are no longer unique...

How long before we start seeing them in the premium shop?

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,580 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

So this is in addition to the special German commander with these skills available from the May 18 campaign?

Yes, this is in addition to.

Members
711 posts
23 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

So unique commanders are no longer unique...

twins can still be unique, some can even be very hard to tell apart even at a genetic DNA level. 

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles
1 hour ago, renegadestatuz said:

Please note, that Mr. Schiffmann will not make it into the game, as he became Franz von Jütland.

There will be two German Commanders; the brothers von Jütland.  No more Shipman.

-R

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
58 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well... I mean it depends on the portrait, but Franz and Reinhard may be very historical; I know you know that it's clearly referencing Franz Hipper and Reinhard Scheer, but, it's an old European Nobility thing, but had Germany won WWI, almost *certainty* at least one of these two men (probably Scheer) would have been titled by the Kaiser as 'von Jutland' as was a common trend at that time. It's alternative history, but it's not totally without a historical element and very plausible.

The others, not so much, no "Bert" Dunkirk.

That all said, I am curious; can you *earn* these brothers? Cause I could go for a second RN Commander with an EM Upgrade.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,811 posts
10,336 battles

A bit silly.

A German clanmate just pointed out that Jutland is the Danish word, and then used by the British as the name of the battle. The German name is 'Skagerrak' or for the battle 'Skagerrakschlacht'.  It makes no sense to name a German commander after the British name for something when a German term exists.

This is also generally lazy. Instead of Unique commanders connected to historic events through campaigns (in the case of Jack Dunkirk) or at least to concepts, it's just ctrl-c, ctrl-v.

Finally, could WG perhaps give some attention to allowing you to 'upgrade' an existing captain to be the 'unique' one. It's a complete pain in the neck when you have 19pt skippers, play T10 or otherwise competitively and then you get a crummy 10pt captain to re-grind up to 19pts. Giving out 19pt-ers I understand would be too much, but allowing me to trade my 19-pt Republique or Henri skipper for JJ-Honore would have been vastly more useful, and the same for Jack Dunkirk.

• Cool 1

Members
2,127 posts

Useless skill upgrades for me... They should have done a more universal upgrade. Like... Adrenalin Rush. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles
16 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Well... I mean it depends on the portrait, but Franz and Reinhard may be very historical; I know you know that it's clearly referencing Franz Hipper and Reinhard Scheer, but, it's an old European Nobility thing, but had Germany won WWI, almost *certainty* at least one of these two men (probably Scheer) would have been titled by the Kaiser as 'von Jutland' as was a common trend at that time. It's alternative history, but it's not totally without a historical element and very plausible.

The others, not so much, no "Bert" Dunkirk.

That all said, I am curious; can you *earn* these brothers? Cause I could go for a second RN Commander with an EM Upgrade.

I feel they just decided that as a wargaming company, maybe their time is best spent NOT chasing down rights to the names and likenesses of historical people for a minor part of the game.  Instead, they are just choosing names that are "you know who we mean."

Probably a wise choice.

I love these skill bonuses!

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
5 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

Useless skill upgrades for me... They should have done a more universal upgrade. Like... Adrenalin Rush. 

-10% JoAT's isn't bad and is pretty universal in application.

Members
2,127 posts
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

-10% JoAT's isn't bad and is pretty universal in application.

I rarely have times where I need a cool down to be faster. I have better skills to buy with 2 points.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I feel they just decided that as a wargaming company, maybe their time is best spent NOT chasing down rights to the names and likenesses of historical people for a minor part of the game.  Instead, they are just choosing names that are "you know who we mean."

Probably a wise choice.

What confuses me is that they need permission/rights to use the name likeness of historical figures. I assume this is more region based, as in both the UK and the US you can use names and likenesses of historical figures freely, even slanderous, at times (see: James Cameron's use of Murdock in Titanic, he had to apologize, but suffered no legal/monetary repercussions), so long as they are 'common knowledge.'

Edited by _RC1138

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

I rarely have times where I need a cool down to be faster. I have better skills to buy with 2 points.

Play more High Tier Cruisers. Shaving 20 seconds off of a Radar's cooldown can be a BIG difference.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles
5 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

You don't need faster cool downs??  What game are you playing?