You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Asahio Torpedo Reload Booster

49 comments in this topic

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles

I was in a tier 8 battle where the enemy had three Asahio and our team had none. It was non stop torpedo spamming.

I'm not sure if that booster was such a great idea along with the smoke generator. Players are not using their skills but instead creating torpedo soup against tier 6 and 7 ships. It looks like it will become the lazy DD player's ship of choice to sit in the back spam. Even with three of them they didn't manage to hit very much and we still won the battle.

This isn't a complaint as much as questioning the logic behind promoting laziness. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Not wrong, though it is very useful for the BBs sitting in the back and going in a straight line.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,714 battles

If it didn't have access to both consumables why would anyone bother with it when they can get the Kagero for free?

As for play style it is anything but lazy.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, Camo68 said:

If it didn't have access to both consumables why would anyone bother with it when they can get the Kagero for free?

Up to the player but yes.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

I think it's exactly because it can't spam torps against DDs and cruisers.

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
4 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

I disagree. There are plenty of lazy players who bought it because they thought they could sit back and spam 16 fish from extended distances hoping that they will hit something. 

I think Kagero is a better DD regardless. If you play it properly it forces you to use your stealth and sharpen your skills. I would never give up multi-purpose torpedoes in exchange for having both smoke and torp booster. Better to learn how to conserve your torps till yo need them and be able to defend yourself against cruisers and gunboats. 
This is just my playstyle and opinion as I often play DDs.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,122 battles
36 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Same reasoning goes for why anyone would buy Prinz Eugen over Hipper (before heal addition), Marblehead over Omaha, or Oleg over Bogatyr.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
763 posts
5,973 battles
35 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I disagree. There are plenty of lazy players who bought it because they thought they could sit back and spam 16 fish from extended distances hoping that they will hit something

What they can hit is limited to BBs and CVs. I purchased the Asashio and in my first battle, there was only 2 BBs on the other side, no CVs. If I simply spammed my torps, I would have lost any benefit of the torps' stealth because it would more than likely pass near or under an opposing DD or CA/CL. I had to really work hard in order to position myself into an advantageous position before launching my torps. It was by no means lazy.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,195 battles

How is the Asashio using TRB any different than Kagero or Yugumo or Shiratsuyu 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles

The opposing team had 3 Asashios and none of your DDs went for them?  If they were staying far away doing long range torp spam, then the caps should have easily been yours.  If the 3 Asashios were close to the caps, then your DDs could have pushed them with very little reprisal.  I mean, Asashio cannot torp DDs...

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
28 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Same reasoning goes for why anyone would buy Prinz Eugen over Hipper (before heal addition), Marblehead over Omaha, or Oleg over Bogatyr.

I think Hipper is the better one now. Only US and IJN BBs can hurt them easily. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
56 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I disagree. There are plenty of lazy players who bought it because they thought they could sit back and spam 16 fish from extended distances hoping that they will hit something. 

That's like saying every BB player bought a BB so they could sit at the back and spam volleys at everyone. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
21 minutes ago, Bronco said:

What they can hit is limited to BBs and CVs. I purchased the Asashio and in my first battle, there was only 2 BBs on the other side, no CVs. If I simply spammed my torps, I would have lost any benefit of the torps' stealth because it would more than likely pass near or under an opposing DD or CA/CL. I had to really work hard in order to position myself into an advantageous position before launching my torps. It was by no means lazy.

I'm not saying that there are good players who will use it wisely but from what I have seen thus far it's been more long range spamming.
I think many inexperienced players read all about it's magical super status as a BB killer and have jumped to buy one. My point is that  they way the marketed this ship is attracting the lazy players.
As I had said before. In one battle alone I witnessed 30 torps spammed at one group of BBs and only one actually hit them.  I think it's an overrated DD.

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
8 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

That's like saying every BB player bought a BB so they could sit at the back and spam volleys at everyone. :Smile_smile:

Ummm no. Don't put words in my mouth. There are good players but it's attracting more of those who aren't experienced IJN or stealth DD captains but want a prem DD with 5.4 concealment that can spam 16 torps from a distance. Most with Kagero worked their way up the IJN line and know how to play these ships.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[NGA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,272 posts
3,472 battles
20 minutes ago, Destroyer_ShimakazeChan said:

Because assasino does not have to trade smoke for it. That ship gets them both.

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
22 minutes ago, Destroyer_ShimakazeChan said:

For one thing, I could approach a Asashio with a Kagero or Yugumo at close range and torp it and there's nothing it can do about it. 

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,195 battles
2 minutes ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Because assasino does not have to trade smoke for it. That ship gets them both.

So? If people are playing as the OP describes (16km torp spam) then they’re hardly ever going to use their smoke to the point they might as well not have it

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Ummm no. Don't put words in my mouth. There are good players but it's attracting more of those who aren't experienced IJN or stealth DD captains but want a prem DD with 5.4 concealment that can spam 16 torps from a distance. Most with Kagero worked their way up the IJN line and know how to play these ships.

I didn't put anything in your mouth; stop dreaming!

I merely stated what I thought your description mirrored another type ship and how that ship is also played by many in regards to spamming from a distance. If it's good for one all these years, why not the another?

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
11 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I didn't put anything in your mouth; stop dreaming!

I merely stated what I thought your description mirrored another type ship and how that ship is also played by many in regards to spamming from a distance. If it's good for one all these years, why not the another?

I really don't understand your point. You can generalise just about anything but we are talking about one specific ship, not all destroyers. There no other DDs that can fire 16 torps almost simultaneously in tiers 6-8 while sitting in smoke. 
If you bothered to read my post it also said it was not a complaint about the ship but the type of players that are rushing to buy it. 

The BB you were referring to is Conqueror. It's not a premium ship. Perhaps if it was a tier 8 prem you would have a point.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
12 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I really don't understand your point. You can generalise just about anything but we are talking about one specific ship, not all destroyers. There no other DDs that can fire 16 torps almost simultaneously in tiers 6-8 while sitting in smoke. 
If you bothered to read my post it also said it was not a complaint about the ship but the type of players that are rushing to buy it. 

The BB you were referring to is Conqueror. It's not a premium ship. Perhaps if it was a tier 8 prem you would have a point.

And if you read my post you would see I am equating those players to the exact same ones that rush out and buy BBs for the same reason - and to agree with you, not all BB players are like that, just like not all DD players are like that.

But whether we like it or not there will always be players that will play ships that way - but just like we shouldn't take away BB range just because of the few, we should not consider changing the Asashio for the same reason.

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

And if you read my post you would see I am equating those players to the exact same ones that rush out and buy BBs for the same reason - and to agree with you, not all BB players are like that, just like not all DD players are like that.

But whether we like it or not there will always be players that will play ships that way - but just like we shouldn't take away BB range just because of the few, we should not consider changing the Asashio for the same reason.

I guess you don't know the difference between a premium ship that can be purchased by someone who's only played a dozen battles with a tier 10 non-premium BB that someone has spent weeks or months grinding to get. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

The only Asashio I've seen played up close (I'm usually too busy doing my own thing). . . was an absolute [edited] who went to the edge of the map, did nothing for most of the game, only to come sailing back in at the last 2 minutes of the game, and proceed to ignore all advice to spam torps from stealth against a wounded enemy battleship, choosing instead (with 500 hp left) to engage in a gun duel. . . with predictable results.  Costing us the game.

This occurred in a ranked battle.

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
9 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I guess you don't know the difference between a premium ship that can be purchased by someone who's only played a dozen battles with a tier 10 non-premium BB that someone has spent weeks or months grinding to get. 

So there are no Tier 8 Premium BBs people went out and bought before grinding? :Smile_teethhappy:

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,822 battles

Not all of us Asashio owners are lazy, I worked my butt off in this game and was the only one of the 4 or so ships left alive at the end that went back to try and defend our base.  The ship offers a slightly different play style than the other IJN DD's.

shot-18.05.03_12.29.59-0163.jpg

shot-18.05.03_12.30.05-0444.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,733 posts
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I was in a tier 8 battle where the enemy had three Asahio and our team had none. It was non stop torpedo spamming.

I'm not sure if that booster was such a great idea along with the smoke generator. Players are not using their skills but instead creating torpedo soup against tier 6 and 7 ships. It looks like it will become the lazy DD player's ship of choice to sit in the back spam. Even with three of them they didn't manage to hit very much and we still won the battle.

This isn't a complaint as much as questioning the logic behind promoting laziness. 

The answer is for your destroyer and cruiser players to put on their big boy pants and wreck the Asashios.