You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Plague of Kamikaze and Yolos

23 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,821 posts
7,100 battles

As the title suggests, I am seeing a huge spike in the number of yolos and kamikaze players this week in random battles (since patch). Is it related to ranked? It is very demoralizing to watch it happen, helpless from my CV top down view. These are not genuine mistakes by new players, but often enough, t8+ players. Anyone else notice the same?

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
1 minute ago, DarthZeppelin said:

As the title suggests, I am seeing a huge spike in the number of yolos and kamikaze players this week in random battles (since patch). Is it related to ranked? It is very demoralizing to watch it happen, helpless from my CV top down view. These are not genuine mistakes by new players, but often enough, t8+ players. Anyone else notice the same?

No real spike IMHO. Maybe you are just noticing it more now? Not saying your wrong just that in my opinion there is no real difference.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,821 posts
7,100 battles
Just now, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

No real spike IMHO. Maybe you are just noticing it more now? Not saying your wrong just that in my opinion there is no real difference.

If I am noticing it more now, it is because there are more now, at least in my own battles. 

[SPTR]
Members
25,806 posts
11,120 battles

I see it occasionally like 1 in every 3 or 5 random battle matches I see someone thats t8 plus especially in a cruiser, so much in a rush to their deaths eary game. /;°_\\

And Im like: "wh-why you do that...?"

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
Just now, DarthZeppelin said:

If I am noticing it more now, it is because there are more now, at least in my own battles. 

Personal observation = X = a trend.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
8 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

These are not genuine mistakes by new players, but often enough, t8+ players.

The two are not always mutually exclusive, so I am assuming you've noticed it from non-premium ships.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,821 posts
7,100 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The two are not always mutually exclusive, so I am assuming you've noticed it from non-premium ships.

yup, plenty of tech tree ship drivers

edit : (often enough players with 1000s of battles, and members of clans that have done quite well in CB)

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
6 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

often enough players with 1000s of battles, and members of clans that have done quite well in CB

Maybe their cautiousness reserve just ran out that night and they said ":etc_swear: it, I'm going in hard. Do or die." Or their OH threatened them with mayhem if they didn't come to bed in the next five minutes (there are more important things than World of Warships).

[POP]
Beta Testers
291 posts
10,516 battles

I have notice a slight increase in yolo's myself. But the increase of team lemming trains are even worse. Had a team yesterday that 95% of us spawned near b/c and the ENTIRE team, with the exception of me went to A, clear across the map. By the time the train arrived in A, it was already capped, as were C, by a DD and 3/4's of the enemy team were at B. It was a t 10-8 match and I was in my Bismarck. That battle was just 2 much.

Members
1,640 posts
7,476 battles

Not noticed any difference at all. Same old same old for me.

My guess is that people just don't want to fight in CV battles.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,821 posts
7,100 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Maybe their cautiousness reserve just ran out that night and they said ":etc_swear: it, I'm going in hard. Do or die." Or their OH threatened them with mayhem if they didn't come to bed in the next five minutes (there are more important things than World of Warships).

I have had a few say in chat, just before kamikazing, "oh :etc_swear:. it!"

That makes me think it might be related to the new afk sanctions, the patch backfiring (because a live afker is worth more points to your own team, than a kamikaze who does zero dmg and dies, giving points away, but a live afker gets sanctioned by the auto pink sys, while a kamikaze gets rewarded at the battles end.) Other acts of self ship harm may be related to a need to farm detonation flags? (Showing a full broadside with zero effort at evasion, even stopping, when a cv drops a torp spread, for example.) FInal reason maybe (?), many 'good' players prefer to stick to ranked this week, meaning the average player ability level in randoms has declined, temporarily. A combination of all the above/

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
6 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

Other acts of self ship harm may be related to a need to farm detonation flags?

No need to throw your expensive-to-run Tier VIII ship away for that. Take a Kuma or similar low-tier cruiser into randoms and fling broadsides at enemy battleships, and sooner or later the farm will start producing!!

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

I'm currently basking in the glory of t10 ranked (I do genuinely enjoy it quite a bit) so haven't really played any randoms

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,821 posts
7,100 battles
21 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

I'm currently basking in the glory of t10 ranked (I do genuinely enjoy it quite a bit) so haven't really played any randoms

people like you mean people like me are left without quality carry players :( Can't wait for ranked to end, we miss you in randoms:Smile_sad:

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles
7 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

people like you mean people like me are left without quality carry players :( Can't wait for ranked to end, we miss you in randoms:Smile_sad:

Rip

[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,930 battles
1 hour ago, DarthZeppelin said:

I have definitely, noticed this happening in Ranked though it seems to be getting better now that we are leaving that first weekend behind.  I haven't noticed much change in Random though.  Yolo's and lack of team play are sort of halmarks of Random battles. 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
5 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I have definitely, noticed this happening in Ranked though it seems to be getting better now that we are leaving that first weekend behind.  I haven't noticed much change in Random though.  Yolo's and lack of team play are sort of halmarks of Random battles. 

Two data points:

1. The majority of players playing in random battles don't have rank stars right now.

2. The players in ranked battles are making the same mistakes (Yolos, no camo, no flags) that you would see in randoms.

Hypothesis: A good portion of the player base decided to play at ranked battles. That would includes the skilled, the lucky, the determined and the spuds.

Leaving the rest of the player base below baseline skill level. The spuds are treating ranked as just another set of random battles. They will either stall out between 11-15 and then decide to call it a day. They will return back to random when they fell they've gotten all they can.

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles

Are you referring to Kamikaze the DD or the type of player that goes off to die alone?

[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,930 battles
29 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Two data points:

1. The majority of players playing in random battles don't have rank stars right now.

2. The players in ranked battles are making the same mistakes (Yolos, no camo, no flags) that you would see in randoms.

Hypothesis: A good portion of the player base decided to play at ranked battles. That would includes the skilled, the lucky, the determined and the spuds.

Leaving the rest of the player base below baseline skill level. The spuds are treating ranked as just another set of random battles. They will either stall out between 11-15 and then decide to call it a day. They will return back to random when they fell they've gotten all they can.

That might explain a few things as well as how so many yolos are appearing after Rank 15.  Normally the true spuds don't make it that far but if we have a lot of players with marginal skills in the mix and all the lower ranks 23-16 are filled players who think play fighting in  Ranked should be the same as Randoms then an increasing number will make it into 2nd League play at rank 15 than would normally be the case.   You'd think the Tier VIII requirement to play in this season's ranked would keep most of the Spuds away but apparently that isn't happening this time around. 

As I said, the quality of play has upticked considerably since the end of the first weekend.  Most of the teams I've fought on recently have some organization and a plan that at least most of the players will follow (there almost always seems to be at least one yolo in the group)

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
12 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

That might explain a few things as well as how so many yolos are appearing after Rank 15.  Normally the true spuds don't make it that far but if we have a lot of players with marginal skills in the mix and all the lower ranks 23-16 are filled players who think play fighting in  Ranked should be the same as Randoms then an increasing number will make it into 2nd League play at rank 15 than would normally be the case.   You'd think the Tier VIII requirement to play in this season's ranked would keep most of the Spuds away but apparently that isn't happening this time around. 

As I said, the quality of play has upticked considerably since the end of the first weekend.  Most of the teams I've fought on recently have some organization and a plan that at least most of the players will follow (there almost always seems to be at least one yolo in the group)

I believe it was around R18 previously that the gate was set. You need 3 stars to advance rather than 15.  16-23 has the setup where you don't fall back and you gain an extra star when advancing. So you can rise up to 15 just by sheer grinding. You can also rise to 10  that way. Now the fun part is going to be going up now from 10.  I have no idea how far I'm going up now, but I plan is the following:

1. Warmup 1-2 battles in Random

2. Play 5 Ranked matches, maybe up to 6

3. If I get 2 defeats in a row, take a break, then resume and finish 5-6 battles.

4, Have some fun beating up on seals after playing ranked.

[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,930 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I believe it was around R18 previously that the gate was set. You need 3 stars to advance rather than 15.  16-23 has the setup where you don't fall back and you gain an extra star when advancing. So you can rise up to 15 just by sheer grinding. You can also rise to 10  that way. Now the fun part is going to be going up now from 10.  I have no idea how far I'm going up now, but I plan is the following:

1. Warmup 1-2 battles in Random

2. Play 5 Ranked matches, maybe up to 6

3. If I get 2 defeats in a row, take a break, then resume and finish 5-6 battles.

4, Have some fun beating up on seals after playing ranked.

I think the way it's currently structured is that it takes one star to advance from 23-20 then two stars from 19 - 16.  all of the ranks between 23 and 17 are permanent once achieved.  After than you need three stars between 15 and 11, four stars between 10 and 6 and 5 stars thereafter.  

I've seen pretty average players stall out between around 17 or 16 and the level of play increase dramatically starting at 15 and then stepping up even further at higher levels.  This led me to believe that the truly poor players or the dedicated yolos were just not able to string enough victories together for most of them to reach 15 so that, for the most part, players at 15 or higher were not just those with better skills, but also were committed to more of a team play idea and willing to work within a team than players who were stuck short of R15.  

Like I said, this year it looks as if a much higher percentage of yolo's and non-team oriented players are making it to 15 than has been the case since I've been playing ranked (season 6).

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles

Well, I'm seeing some atrocious play at R10. Must be a few who got carried to past  11. I  got a maximum of  222 games to run through. We'll see how it pans out.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,367 battles

Its people that want out of a battle that are no longer allowed to just leave instantly without penalty.  When I have something come up mid game, i used to just be able to leave.  Now I have to yolo out so i don't get penalized.  Perhaps its not all, but as was said, i think you can blame the uptick in this  behavior directly on the poor pink rules that just came out.