You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jenska

Anomaly in Ranked awards

6 comments in this topic

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,217 battles

I noticed that in ranked, it states that losses AND draws cause you to lose a star. I know that losses are rare, but does that really mean that 12 players will lose a star for a draw??

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,182 battles

Of all the games I’ve played only about 2-4 iirv have been draws. They are extremely rare and very, very, VERY unlikely to happen in Randoms, let alone Ranked. So given that my answer is that its far too rare to even really consider the possibility 

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,733 battles

Draws are very rare, it it counts as defeats for both sides. Sorry for this misfortune.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,217 battles

I know its very rare, I have 7, I don't expect a change, but it seemed a strange outcome to me. I guess its easier to code "WIN" get a star, "NOT A WIN" so you don't get a star, than "NOT a Loss Either" so you don't lose one.

Edited by Jenska
speeling

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles
16 minutes ago, Jenska said:

I noticed that in ranked, it states that losses AND draws cause you to lose a star. I know that losses are rare, but does that really mean that 12 players will lose a star for a draw??

Yes, it does, though perhaps the top base XP earners on each team might not lose a star.

Regardless, the entire point behind the draw equals a loss is to incentivize playing to win, rather than just playing not to lose.  But as ShimakazeChan points out, draws are exceptionally rare these days. 

Back during Open Beta, draws were very common in standard mode, because there were no points awarded for sinking enemy ships, which meant that  when time ran out, if you hadn't sunk every single enemy ship, it was a draw, which caused many players on trailing teams when they were the last ship left to run and hide.  But it could also penalize leading teams because there'd always be some schmuck who would leave the cap he was certain to be able to capture to go run after that last enemy ship, and when he couldn't get said enemy ship sunk (or even found), the leading team would end up in a draw.  IIRC, about 20% of all Standard mode battles ended in draws back then, which is why WG added in points for sunk ships, etc. to standard mode to make it vastly more difficult to end in a draw.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

If all the humans leave a Co-Op match, it becomes a draw..  

Doesn't matter if I had 5 kills and we were winning by 600 points.

Learned that one the hard way -- Co-Op battle : all bots except me.. 

Only ship left was the enemy bot CV and our bot CV, both out of planes.  My team held all 3 caps.  Score 920:120

Figured I'd set up the next boat while this one ended...   and immediately when I exited -- Battle Result:  DRAW.

Won't be doing that again.