You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Asahio - Has The BB culling begun

Asahio - Has the Great BB Culling begun?  

46 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Has the introduction of Asashio brought down the number of BB's on either side in a match?

• Yes- BB groupies wails
    • No - DD mafia gnashes teeth
    • No idea - Don't worry. Be Happy

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2018 at 04:00 PM

24 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles

There were doom and gloom predictions the the BB's were going to be culled with the introduction of the Asashio. Is it happening? Will it happen?

• Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,161 battles

All that’s happened so far is a nice increase is salt flow

• Funny 1

Members
687 posts
4,371 battles
32 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

There were doom and gloom predictions the the BB's were going to be culled with the introduction of the Asashio. Is it happening? Will it happen?

I don't think anyone worth listening to seriously predicted this. One premium ship can only have so much of an impact. If anything the battleship cull would have occurred when the PA DDs came out. If it didn't happen then it's not going to happen now. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

What's "Asashio?"

[SPTR]
Members
3,472 posts
5,731 battles

So far the only Asashios I saw were in Ranked for some reason. They didn't fair very well against ranked veterans like Loyang and Akizuki.

Beta Testers
1,461 posts
3,211 battles

I dont think so, good players know how to counter Asashio and bad players, well lets face it. Nothing phases them. They are ignorant to everything and dead set in their ways

[NUWES]
Members
1,654 posts
5,551 battles
4 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

So far the only Asashios I saw were in Ranked for some reason. They didn't fair very well against ranked veterans like Loyang and Akizuki.

I actually got one on my team in ranked yesterday that did reasonably well. He lucked out and got a 3 BB matchup and the enemy BBs grouped up broadside in the middle to cover their own DD. He got quite a few hits and sent them running. I have no delusions that will be a common thing with Asashio in ranked though. He seriously lucked out with that many BBs grouped up like that. I must admit it was hysterical watching their Atago panic and frantically try to turn away when two Ashashio torps caught him almost broadside. I can almost imagine his wth moment when they passed right under him. (Also the pissed off look of the Asashio captain who would've had a clean kill in any other DD.) lol. 

[FOG]
Members
326 posts
4,831 battles

I have only seen a few (and only one per game) in Coop battles and they did not do very well as all, although there were at least of a couple of BBs. The Asashio bots were nice to see when in a Kutuzov or Graf Spee given the absence of useful torps....

[SIM]
Members
2,525 posts
4,179 battles

Yes, it appears to have curtailed the Tier VI + population slightly. It didn’t drive all of the BBs out of those tiers, but games with more than four BBs per side have become rarer, in my experience.

Members
2,376 posts
7,664 battles

A single ship wont reduce the BB population. 

Also, most of the Asashios i see are spamming torps out of max range, which reduce their efficiency at killing BBs. 

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Nope. Although I did enjoy a weekend/half week now of causing buyers remorse. Kinda as I predicted: this DD is more or less worthless in most matches; farms some damage but the moment a cruiser worth a damn knows where it is, that's the end of its game. Gunboat DD's too; my Kidd has been eating Asahios in ranked all week.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I probably shoot my guns more than I do torpedo because I am a decoy and I am using the "hype" to my advantage because she is not a good ship. She is not a bad ship either. 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Nope. Although I did enjoy a weekend/half week now of causing buyers remorse. Kinda as I predicted: this DD is more or less worthless in most matches; farms some damage but the moment a cruiser worth a damn knows where it is, that's the end of its game. Gunboat DD's too; my Kidd has been eating Asahios in ranked all week.

I had fun yesterday doing a Metal Gear Solid imitation on the Asashio. A Tak  was hunting me for 5 minutes. He got to within 5.6 km of me before I was able to evade him. 

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Beta Testers
1,834 posts
10,762 battles

A whole line of DWT DDs didn't even put a slight dent on BB population. Nothing will change that fact that this is still:

5aeb1f2ec712f_0_0_900_0_70__News_World_of_Battleships_Logocopy.thumb.jpg.84e84cde8cb369eb790eb4d1d5ba5b56.jpg

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
37 posts

i have not run into many asashio's, but whenever a destroyer gets within my range, i target my secondarys at 'em.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
19 minutes ago, Yuki_Ika7 said:

i have not run into many asashio's, but whenever a destroyer gets within my range, i target my secondarys at 'em.

I found that at the proper range, Asashio has good "anti-dispersion"

Beta Testers
299 posts
1,803 battles

I've played mine a few times and done OK with it.  I scout, cap if safe (don't fight other DDs) then try to get in behind or on a flank to take out BBs.  Usually at the longer ranges the torps have spread so I don't get so many kills, but still lots of hits.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
2 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

1st of all; Bias poll is biased. 

2nd of all; the answer is no. Like @LittleWhiteMouse said Asashio is not the end of BBs in WoWs, she just punishes idiots.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,000 posts
13,665 battles

Asashio is a fantastic little ship and no sane BB will push against it, but it won't change the meta.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles
5 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

1st of all; Bias poll is biased. 

2nd of all; the answer is no. Like @LittleWhiteMouse said Asashio is not the end of BBs in WoWs, she just punishes idiots.

I primarily play CA's, so I got no bone in the fight. Asashio play style needs at least 5 BB's on the opposite side to make it work well. One thing I had noted is the knowledge there is one in the vicinity is enough for BB's to stop huddling and get moving. Like a Corgi herding sheep. 

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

I have only played two games in her so far.

The first game I worked the B Cap on North. Never took the cap, but two Red DDs and both the Red radar cruisers died in the Cap, trying desperately to kill me. I was well supported.  I fired torps at their BBs in support, but only landed one hit that flooded for a bit. Got killed by the second Red DD, who died a few seconds after I did. My team then took the vacant B Cap. We won the game.

The second game was on Two Brothers. I spawned in the South on the D side.... right next to Noster in an Akizuki.... no pressure...he was there to hunt Red Asahios. We tried to Cap D and got lit up. Everyone fired at me, no one fired at him. I got out with about 20% health. We moved to thwart their push down the East side of the map. When they turned back I returned to D and took the Cap. While there I send a double salvo of torps at one of the BBs hovering near D. I fired one salvo ahead and one behind. The BB ended up turning right into the second batch and eating three torps. 

Meanwhile our A side group collapsed like a wet paper bag, and before long we were dealing with Reds in front and behind. A Gearing behind me polished me off as I was shooting at a  cruiser. Noster was already dead by that point. We lost. I was on top of the leader board for our team. Noster was second.

She is a classic IJN stealth DD with Long Lance range. The torpedoes are gimped to keep it from breaking the game. I will wait till the hysteria dies down, and then put her in the rotation. 

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
763 posts
5,956 battles
2 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

LOL, played a rank battle a few days ago with no BBs just CA/CLs and DDs. What's funny was that the other team had 2 Asashios. 

Members
1,858 posts
8,785 battles
3 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I don't recall seeing any predictions about a raduction in BBs. There were predictions that BBs would play even more conservative than they did already.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
2,155 battles

Unless WG introduces weird stuff like omnidirectional Tesla coils that insta-delete any BB that comes with sensor range, people will still drive boats with the biggest guns. 

In any case, I'm going to put my Asashio through more trials in the upcoming days.  I've gotten used to driving an AA-specced  HSF Harekaze, so it'll take a while to get rid of some old habits.