You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

Ranked Request

28 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles

I get that rank 10 and below are only tier 10 this season and I understand I don’t have a tier 10 so I won’t complain about that. I know some people don’t think ranked is enjoyable and that it is just a grind but personally I like the smaller and more tactical battles. I feel like it is a nice change of play style from 12v12 and even though some people rage in chat, I liked ranking to 10. Well now that I am rank 10, I can’t play ranked anymore. This brings me to my request. It is kind of specific and I feel like it would not do much to anyone other than a specific small group of players. 

Could we have a system that allowed a rank 10 to remain rank 10 while still playing tier 8 in the ranked bracket? In other words you have reached rank 10 and as long as you do not play a tier 10 in ranked you can pretty much be an irrevocable rank 11 with 3 stars. If you play a tier 10 in ranked you can no longer play tier 8. I just want to be able to change it up and play ranked every now and then but I haven’t been able to since Sunday (I think it was Sunday I hit rank 10). Honestly I wouldn’t even mind losing stars on a loss. I just enjoyed the change in play. 

• Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,410 posts
3,583 battles

6 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

An interesting idea, I see the worth of your request because it would be nice to continue playing ranked in a certain bracket without having to go up.  Maybe have a prompt at 11 2/3 stars saying "Are you ready for the next bracket?" click no to stay in Tier 8 and yes to move on. 

I think this is an interesting suggestion op. It may take a while to implement though but I hope you get what you want at some point. 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles

If you've ranked up that far, you should be able to Free XP to T10.

Should be close enough on the Montana and Des Moines.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
Just now, AVR_Project said:

If you've ranked up that far, you should be able to Free XP to T10.

Should be close enough on the Montana and Des Moines.

I can’t look in game but I have about 40k XP on a stock Iowa and 15k on a mostly upgraded Baltimore. I’m not interested in wasting 200k+ free XP to skip 2 decent ships. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles
5 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I can’t look in game but I have about 40k XP on a stock Iowa and 15k on a mostly upgraded Baltimore. I’m not interested in wasting 200k+ free XP to skip 2 decent ships. 

Too bad you don't have a completed Amagi...   The IJN T9 BB is the all time 'PAYWALL' dog that most folks simply Free XP past to get the Yamato.

Also keep in mind the T10s don't need any additional research.  You buy it and you are done.

Des Moines works well in Clan Battles.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
26 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Too bad you don't have a completed Amagi...   The IJN T9 BB is the all time 'PAYWALL' dog that most folks simply Free XP past to get the Yamato.

Also keep in mind the T10s don't need any additional research.  You buy it and you are done.

Yeah I guess if it was a tough grind I’d be much more inclined to Free XP. Might end up just slapping the XP camos and flags on. Yeah the Des looks great just wish I had the radar mod.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I'm a bit surprised they rent out Tier X for the most competitive game mode in the series but won't for ranked where literally anyone in the previous 8 seasons could participate with in tier premiums. 

I mean... don't get me wrong I like that there's a measure of exclusivity in Ranked this season with the tier Xs... but its excluding the wrong type of people for the wrong reasons (IMO).

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles
1 minute ago, Gascan75 said:

I'm a bit surprised they rent out Tier X for the most competitive game mode in the series but won't for ranked where literally anyone in the previous 8 seasons could participate with in tier premiums. 

Yeah..  Like make the rental option a Rank 10 award...

• Cool 2

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
4 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Actually... I like that idea a lot. That might be worth bugging @Pigeon_of_War about. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
59 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Some do, like the Shimmy, Grozovoi, Conqueror, and GK, IIRC.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Some do, like the Shimmy, Grozovoi, Conqueror, and GK, IIRC.

True... Torpedo varieties specific to speed and or distance in the former and gun caliber and / or  number in the latter two.  And the XP requirement is no joke for some since it's an additional 30k XP and 2.5mil credits per option. 

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,084 posts
9,006 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Ya skipping the Tier 9 teaches you nothing but most do it.

[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
13 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

True... Torpedo varieties specific to speed and or distance in the former and gun caliber and / or  number in the latter two.  And the XP requirement is no joke for some since it's an additional 30k XP and 2.5mil credits per option. 

With the 2 BBs, the "upgrades" are simply not necessary.  But with the two DDs, they seem to be.  Hell, with the Conqueror, I doubt that many people even see the 18" guns as an upgrade at all.

With the Grozovoi, the stock torps are only 8 km, which IMO, should just be removed and the 10 km ones be the only torps.  The good thing here is that the Grozovoi is capable of having good games even without her torps, so grinding out the XP for the 10 km torps isn't that difficult.

With the Shimmy, the 3 torp options are viable on some level, with the 12 km ones being generally thought to be the best, IIRC.  And in the shimmy's case, IMO, they should make the 12 km torps the stock torps, so that the 20 km and 8 km torps become seen as more along the lines of optional upgrades rather than the current situation where the 20 km torps are the stock ones and the 12 km torp upgrade feels necessary.  But unlike the Grozovoi where it's not that painful to grind the torp upgrades, with the Shimmy, you're stuck having to use those painful 20 km torps to do the grind or free XP to the 12 km ones.

[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
7 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

The downside of skipping a tier is that you lose a lot of commander's XP grinding time and probably won't have your captain all the way up to 19 points.  And I can tell you from experience that when you powergrind a higher tier ship, like a tier 8 or 9, using a high grade premium camo like the Frosty Fir, combined with all the economic flags, you can grind XP and commander's XP (as well as Free XP) in a real hurry.  If you have a very good game with all those XP, Co-XP, and FreeXP camo and flags mounted, you can earn well over 10k+ XP and 30+k Commander's XP per game.  And that's a lot of great grinding potential lost when you free XP over a ship.  Of course, once you've gotten the captain to 19 points, I can see someone with Free XP to spare and the lack of desire to play a given tier 9 ship wanting to skip to the tier 10.  I've done it before myself.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
1 hour ago, Cobraclutch said:

An interesting idea, I see the worth of your request because it would be nice to continue playing ranked in a certain bracket without having to go up.  Maybe have a prompt at 11 2/3 stars saying "Are you ready for the next bracket?" click no to stay in Tier 8 and yes to move on. 

I think this is an interesting suggestion op. It may take a while to implement though but I hope you get what you want at some point. 

Yeah something like once you hit 11 and get 3 stars a message pops up and says “you can continue to play tier 8 and remain below rank 10 or you may play a tier 10 for the irrevocable rank 10. Once you join the next bracket you will no longer be able to play in the tier 8 bracket”

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The downside of skipping a tier is that you lose a lot of commander's XP grinding time and probably won't have your captain all the way up to 19 points.  And I can tell you from experience that when you powergrind a higher tier ship, like a tier 8 or 9, using a high grade premium camo like the Frosty Fir, combined with all the economic flags, you can grind XP and commander's XP (as well as Free XP) in a real hurry.  If you have a very good game with all those XP, Co-XP, and FreeXP camo and flags mounted, you can earn well over 10k+ XP and 30+k Commander's XP per game.  And that's a lot of great grinding potential lost when you free XP over a ship.  Of course, once you've gotten the captain to 19 points, I can see someone with Free XP to spare and the lack of desire to play a given tier 9 ship wanting to skip to the tier 10.  I've done it before myself.

I don’t have a 19 point captain yet. Almost to 17 but with 200% wins last weekend I ended up with 60k+ commander xp one game. Should’ve taken a screenshot of it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles
1 hour ago, Nachoo31 said:

My first T10 was the Montana where I completely ground through the Iowa.  Sold the Iowa and bought perm camo for the Montana.  Have Missouri.

Then I free-XP'd from completing the Amagi to the Yamato and saved a bundle of credits by skipping that.... ....  ship.

Completed the Baltimore (actually enjoyed that one - but record is not stellar) and got the Des Moines.

Ran these three extensively in Clan Battles..   Have 3) 19 point captains.

Recently, I free-XP'd the remainder of the Roon (about 50%) to the Hindenburg to use with Clan Battles.  Now I have 3 battleships and a machine-gun at T10.

I always say the Hindenburg is a Scharnhorst with an extra turret.

I also have 680K Captain XP and 870K Free XP saved up.  I could get the Musashi, but I don't feel so inclined.   I could get the Nelson..  meh. Have Hood/DoY..

I could make 3-4 more 19 point captains....  OK..  Someday.

Currently, I use the Capt XP to move captains.  First, pay the 200K credits for half, play through all the premium ships for a couple days - then Capt XP the rest.

This may get used up when I continue deploying all those ARP ladies into IJN grinders.

BUT THE SUBJECT HERE IS GETTING T10 SHIPS FOR RANKED.

My advise is if you need a T10 now, then now is what you've been saving that Free XP for.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,398 posts
4,293 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

How would you expect this to work? Your pick of ships, or a statistically well performing ship in each class of CV, BB, CA/CL or DD given you (as it is in Clan Battles)?

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

If you have a very good game with all those XP, Co-XP, and FreeXP camo and flags mounted, you can earn well over 10k+ XP and 30+k Commander's XP per game. 

But if you don't...

(I have oodles of high-XP camos and I am afraid to use them in case I waste them on a lousy game, LOL. Clearly I need to win a lot more.)

[SALVO]
Members
17,117 posts
17,794 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But if you don't...

(I have oodles of high-XP camos and I am afraid to use them in case I waste them on a lousy game, LOL. Clearly I need to win a lot more.)

And even in so so games, you can earn a very healthy amount of XP, etc.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,398 posts
4,293 battles

I'll do it when I've got to grind for something in a hurry (ship-winning missions) and time is at a premium, but most of my rushed grinding is done with now; there's little or no point in blowing camos on something I have forever to do.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How would you expect this to work? Your pick of ships, or a statistically well performing ship in each class of CV, BB, CA/CL or DD given you (as it is in Clan Battles)?

Well my point was I think you should be able to stay on the tier 8 bracket and keep playing (with no benefit of ranking higher than 10) because I do not see them putting in rental ships due to the difference in clan wars vs ranked. But if they did do rentals I would assume it would be like clan wars. Maybe just give you 3 tier 10s to choose from and keep rotating them. 

I still don’t know that rental ships should be given out for ranked. I do believe that we should have a way to keep playing even if it doesn’t benefit us instead of just locking you out once you hit 10 and have no tier 10s.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
4 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I get that rank 10 and below are only tier 10 this season and I understand I don’t have a tier 10 so I won’t complain about that. I know some people don’t think ranked is enjoyable and that it is just a grind but personally I like the smaller and more tactical battles. I feel like it is a nice change of play style from 12v12 and even though some people rage in chat, I liked ranking to 10. Well now that I am rank 10, I can’t play ranked anymore. This brings me to my request. It is kind of specific and I feel like it would not do much to anyone other than a specific small group of players. 

Could we have a system that allowed a rank 10 to remain rank 10 while still playing tier 8 in the ranked bracket? In other words you have reached rank 10 and as long as you do not play a tier 10 in ranked you can pretty much be an irrevocable rank 11 with 3 stars. If you play a tier 10 in ranked you can no longer play tier 8. I just want to be able to change it up and play ranked every now and then but I haven’t been able to since Sunday (I think it was Sunday I hit rank 10). Honestly I wouldn’t even mind losing stars on a loss. I just enjoyed the change in play. 

sounds like a positive suggestion...that's pretty weird for this forum.  are you sure you are in the right place?

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
8 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

sounds like a positive suggestion...that's pretty weird for this forum.  are you sure you are in the right place?

Thanks haha. I always try to think of positive suggestions. Now we can just hope someone important sees it.

Members
1,085 posts
6,023 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How would you expect this to work? 

I wouldn't expect it to work...well, I don't expect WG to go for it:

If T10s were to be rentals for Ranked as well as for Clan Battles, then T10s would be rentable for some 80% of the year, if current Ranked/clan battle scheduleing patterns hold, which would greatly disincentivise the grinding for and buying of T10s. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,398 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I do believe that we should have a way to keep playing even if it doesn’t benefit us instead of just locking you out once you hit 10 and have no tier 10s.

I would prefer them not to do staggered tiers again, unless it was perhaps 5 and 7 or 6 and 8. (Yeah, I know, we're not going to see Tier 5 ranked any time soon, and Tier 7 means Belfasts and Atlantas will burn everything else to a crisp. Can't wait to see what the Rank 1 battles are like.)