You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

Playing Khab in ranked, anyone have suggestions?

24 comments in this topic

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

Kiev got me to rank 10 in no time flat, but I'm stuck ant rank 9 with khab, which is my favorite boat. Usually I have a pretty good winrate in it in random, but I'm stuck. These ranked maps are baffling me. Any suggestions on positioning and strategy? 

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,332 battles

Check out notser's video, he has a couple of suggestions for it

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,767 battles

Khab in Ranked? Um, no.

You want concealment, and capping capabilities. Not Khab.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Best advice I can give you is to NOT use it.

It's not a good choice for ranked, and you'll struggle to be viable.

It's more of a light Cruiser than a DD, and you're basically hamstringing your team by taking a DDs spot.

• Cool 3

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles

3 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Khab in Ranked? Um, no.

You want concealment, and capping capabilities. Not Khab.

3 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Best advice I can give you is to NOT use it.

It's not a good choice for ranked, and you'll struggle to be viable.

It's more of a light Cruiser than a DD, and you're basically hamstringing your team by taking a DDs spot.

You guys are such party poopers, lol.

I have personally been pretty lazy for ranked so far and haven't reached the tier 10 brackets yet. I do plan to use the Khabarovsk. If you want to continue using the Khabarovsk, there are likely some changes you need to make for your modules and captain skills. I am willing to do an in depth talk on reconfiguring your ship and tactics and strategies to use.

I have talked to or taught 5-6 people already in some degree on how to play Russian destroyers more intelligently, not just as simply a support, second line, long distance gunboat, and they have been really happy with what I taught them. Send me a message if you are interested. I have not reached rank 10 yet, but that is more out of laziness and doing elite captain experience farming in Scenarios. I will likely put up some replay videos on Youtube later for Kiev, and for Khab when I get there.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles

I've started off T10 ranked using Yueyang and Khaba.  

I can see where Yueyang would be the better choice in a match with only 1 or 2 DDs per team.  That is because the team really needs just the traditional DD role.  Concealment, caps, spotting, etc...

But I've seen several matches where there are 3 or 4 DDs per team.  In that scenario Khaba would beast and be a DD killer.  So far every time I've used Khaba there's been at least 3 DDs per team so it was ideal for me.  

Probably the most fun ranked match I've had was in a T8 match.  There were 5 DDs, 1 cruiser, and 1 BB per team.  The BB and cruisers were cursing match maker.  Because of the number of DDs I suggested that all 5 of our DDs stay together because if one DD got caught by 3-5 DDs they would be done for.  So all 5 of us went as a wolf pack towards C cap.  Then we bump into the enemy DDs who had the same idea!  That mean we had a 10 DD brawl in the middle of the map.  I've never seen so many shells flying all over the place.  Torps everywhere.  I got first kill but mainly because the DD I was shooting at didn't know where the shots were coming from in the fray.  It was crazy.  But also a blast. 

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,987 battles

I'm starting to enjoy the Khabarovsk in ranked. I find it requires a bit of patience, though. Oh, and smoke. It definitelyworks better with smoke instead of heal. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
55 minutes ago, legozer said:

I'm starting to enjoy the Khabarovsk in ranked. I find it requires a bit of patience, though. Oh, and smoke. It definitelyworks better with smoke instead of heal. 

Hmm, I kinda gave up on smoke because of all the radar around.   I use radar on Yueyang and heal on Khaba.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles

Everybody says Khaba is bad for ranked.  Knock on wood but I currently have a 69% WR in Khaba which is #2 in NA.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/season/ship/ranking/id,9,4179506640,Khabarovsk/

Here's my captain build:

image.thumb.png.f247fb34cc25bcaa83c3ee1f832e172e.png

I'm finding RPF to be very useful for ranked.  Especially for DD hunting.

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

I've often wondered about RPF for my khab to even the odds on detection. One of the main thing that gets me is a DM or Mino ambush. RPF might be nice. Giving up vigilance would be tough, though. That saves me daily.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
6 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

I've often wondered about RPF for my khab to even the odds on detection. One of the main thing that gets me is a DM or Mino ambush. RPF might be nice. Giving up vigilance would be tough, though. That saves me daily.

If you give up vigilance just add target acquisition mod.  That increases torp spotting.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles

Oh my gawd, I think that was the hardest game of my life and the hardest I've ever carried a team to victory.  

I defended base cap and sent the rest of the team to contested cap.  Enemy Khaba and Shimi came to fight me.  I dueled the enemy Khaba and won then chased down the Shimi and killed him.  Meanwhile my ENTIRE TEAM WAS KILLED at the contested cap and had 0 kills.  I ended up with 2 caps and after killing the 2 DDs defended one cap from a Hindenburg with 24 defended ribbons lol.  In the end it was 5 vs 1 and we I won on points.

32378529_10212788522041984_4135699506253529088_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=bee85c64e8d27c0a1f95d892a0d05894&oe=5B9151CB

qiT7Ubm.jpg

Oh and not a single compliment from the team I carried...  :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

THAT is bad-a$$.  Esp considering they had a moskva and Hindi. Good dodging, bro. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
3 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

THAT is bad-a$$.  Esp considering they had a moskva and Hindi. Good dodging, bro. 

Never saw the Moskva but the Hindy was after me the last few minutes of the match.  The Moskva was busy kicking my team's [edited] at the main contested cap.  After my last ally died he was a long way away from me.  

Members
727 posts

Don't listen to these guys. The Khabarovsk is working for me at Rank #3...

I passed up my Z-52... which constantly does less damage and just gets radared to death. Even if you're on a fail team you have a better chance of saving your star with a Khaba. It's not uncommon to get anywhere from 100k - 200k damage with a couple kills and a capture. Do not set it up for stealth. Set it up for maximum tank, heals, speed, and firing range.

Other people want you to use other destroyers because they expect DD's to be their spotting guinea pig... and they get pissed off if you don't go in for the ritual slaughter. They believe you're their minion, and you will do as commanded.

In a radar heavy arena the Khabarovsk, in the right hands, actually has turned out to be a positive addition to a team with it's raw DPS, harassing, fast capping, fast relocating abilities, and it annihilates all other DD's on field.

• Cool 1

Members
727 posts

Update: I just ranked out this season. I played my last game in a Khaba. I used it probably 50% of the time in conjunction with a Z-52.

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

Congrats! I ranked out in my khab today as well. A good feeling. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles

I'm retiring my Khaba at rank 7 for the season.  I started late and from the beginning in ranked so it was a long climb.  And starting late the quality of teammates has dropped until it's pretty horrible now in some games.  

Tonight I had a game where each team had 3 DDs.  I killed 2 and severely injured the 3rd.  The rest of my team?  0 kills and all died.  I had 2 DDs and a cruiser tied up for most of the match while my other 6 teammates only had to deal with 3-4 ships.  And they got slaughtered...

Yesterday the DM on my team sails right out in the open into the middle of the cap at the beginning of the match.  Ya he was deleted quickly and there went our radar...   The sad part is the team was good enough to pull off the win if we still had the DM but the loss of the DM killed us.

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

Khab is definitely challenging in ranked. Congrats on getting to 7 in it. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
15 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Khab is definitely challenging in ranked. Congrats on getting to 7 in it. 

I did better in my Khab than my Yueyang so I think Khab is a good ship in ranked.  The quality of teammates in 10-6 towards the end of ranked is just awful in some cases though.  One bad apple can kill your team.

Another odd thing...  I expected DMs, Minotaurs, and Moskvas to be the biggest problem for me in ranked.  But I found that as long as I kept my distance from them I was fine.  The biggest problem?  Chasing down Shimakazes with RPF.  They could see me but I couldn't see them and by the time I got close there was an almost unavoidable torp wall waiting for me.  It was almost impossible not to eat at least one torp which takes the majority of Khaba HP.  And where was the Shimi running?  To his teammates of course.  There would sometimes be a cruiser or even a GK or something to finish me off.  

Gearings?  Z-52s?  Yueyangs?  Groz?  No problem.  I hunted them down and murdered them with ease.  It's those frigging Shimi torps walls that gave me grief.

[ICBM]
Members
339 posts
5,104 battles

I had to learn to be careful of minotaur ambush. Cruisers weren't too much of a problem unless I was really close. I'd say my biggest challenge was avoiding eating 50% hp damage from BB AP.  Cruisers could peck away at me, but the BBs would wreck me with one good salvo. 

Strongly recommend vigilance as a captain skill on khab. Once I picked up vigilance I almost never got torped. Unless it is point blank, you can usually avoid it.  I always was very careful chasing shimis for the very reason you stated. I try to randomly change directions about ever 10 seconds or so. Sometimes, though, you eat torps and theres no way around it.