You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Fun Artifact Find: Clock from the Soviet battleship Marat

8 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,956 battles

IMG_0160.thumb.jpg.4f11a4dd3a4ca61f6ae380e3256656f1.jpg

I thought this would be a fun post to put here since this is warships...and I do enjoy collecting militaria from the war.  To be honest, I'm quite elated I found this because I always wanted to collect an object from one of the WW2 Soviet vessels.

A couple of notes about the artifact:

-According to the seller, the Slava clock in the middle is from the 1980s.

-He found it in a market in Ukraine.

-The artifact is very sturdy, so it could be made of cast iron or a cast alloy.

-I originally thought that the clock was trench art (objects made with spare materials by military personnel). However, some of my more savvy militaria friends pointed out that the design is quite elaborate for trench art. They concluded that this could've been a special souvenir commemorating the ship.  DIT: To clarify this point, they meant that its a souvenir that possibly could've been sold on the ship. Marat was already famous...even before the war since she participated in a fleet review in 1937. This clock is similar to other items you could buy on American and European vessels as mementos for sailors or guests.

-He concluded that the artifact was from Marat because of the wording. Furthermore, the KBF at the bottom is the wording for the Baltic Fleet. This was the fleet that the Marat served in during the war.

-The flag in the background could be in reference to the Order of the Red Banner - an award that was given to the Baltic Fleet twice.

-Marat was the name of the battleship from 1921-1943. The seller said that the artifact is from 1940 though...

Wargaming actually made a good video about this specific battleship:

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

You know France is awesome when even the Russians start naming Battleships after Frenchmen.

• Cool 2

5,336 posts
3,956 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

You know France is awesome when even the Russians start naming Battleships after Frenchmen.

That also includes the other Gangut-class battleship: Parizhskaya Kommuna - the Paris Commune :cap_cool:.

Members
238 posts
11 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

However, some of my more savvy militaria friends pointed out that the design is quite elaborate for trench art.

Some trench stuff can be rather elaborate, though I'd associate it perhaps more with woodwork in that case. Nice find though.

On the subject of Marat, here's the (empty) loading sequence of one of its 305 mm guns. Though this from a Finnish coastal fortification and probably does not correspond exactly to how it was setup on the Russian battleships. Especially as the gun in the video is in a dual turret initially intended to house 356 mm guns according to jaegerplatoon.net.

• Cool 3

5,336 posts
3,956 battles
6 hours ago, Snowyskies said:

Some trench stuff can be rather elaborate, though I'd associate it perhaps more with woodwork in that case. Nice find though.

On the subject of Marat, here's the (empty) loading sequence of one of its 305 mm guns. Though this from a Finnish coastal fortification and probably does not correspond exactly to how it was setup on the Russian battleships. Especially as the gun in the video is in a dual turret initially intended to house 356 mm guns according to jaegerplatoon.net.

Man...those are big guns :cap_fainting:

If nothing else, the artifact is associated with the Marat in some fashion.  It bears the name of the ship as well as KBF, which is an abbreviation for Краснознамённый Балтийский Флот ( Red-Banner Baltic Fleet — the name of Baltic Fleet between 1935—1965 ).

2 hours ago, MS406france1940 said:

That is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my livetime:cap_wander:

Thanks for stopping by!

This was an exciting item to add to my collection because it seems that the Russians didn't make many objects commemorating their ships during WW2.  It's especially gleeful because its for one of their big-gun battleships, which is always nice to show off :cap_haloween:.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles
19 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

IMG_0160.thumb.jpg.4f11a4dd3a4ca61f6ae380e3256656f1.jpg

I thought this would be a fun post to put here since this is warships...and I do enjoy collecting militaria from the war.  To be honest, I'm quite elated I found this because I always wanted to collect an object from one of the WW2 Soviet vessels.

A couple of notes about the artifact:

-According to the seller, the Slava clock in the middle is from the 1980s.

-He found it in a market in Ukraine.

-The artifact is very sturdy, so it could be made of cast iron or a cast alloy.

-I originally thought that the clock was trench art (objects made with spare materials by military personnel). However, some of my more savvy militaria friends pointed out that the design is quite elaborate for trench art. They concluded that this could've been a special souvenir commemorating the ship.  DIT: To clarify this point, they meant that its a souvenir that possibly could've been sold on the ship. Marat was already famous...even before the war since she participated in a fleet review in 1937. This clock is similar to other items you could buy on American and European vessels as mementos for sailors or guests.

-He concluded that the artifact was from Marat because of the wording. Furthermore, the KBF at the bottom is the wording for the Baltic Fleet. This was the fleet that the Marat served in during the war.

-The flag in the background could be in reference to the Order of the Red Banner - an award that was given to the Baltic Fleet twice.

-Marat was the name of the battleship from 1921-1943. The seller said that the artifact is from 1940 though...

Wargaming actually made a good video about this specific battleship:

Could be related to the "Winter War" with Finland which ended 13 March 1940. Marat was one of the two largest Soviet ship's in the Baltic, and did participate if only in a minimal capacity.

• Cool 1

5,336 posts
3,956 battles
42 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Could be related to the "Winter War" with Finland which ended 13 March 1940. Marat was one of the two largest Soviet ship's in the Baltic, and did participate if only in a minimal capacity.

That also is a good point.