You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Prinz Eugen 0.7.4

59 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,003 posts
16,211 battles

Thanks Mouser; another great review!

[-BRS-]
Members
1,337 posts
8,944 battles

Like the direction your going with the visuals, keep up the great work.

• Cool 1

Members
411 posts

I’m early to a Mouse review. Inconcievable!

Prinz Eugen is my favorite historical ship, I hope to acquire her one day when money isn’t an issue (-_-).

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,013 battles

Nice review update. 

Gotta say from personal experience, Prinz Eugen is very quickly becoming one of my favorite ships. It plays very much like a diet Battleship.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,457 battles

Great and entertaining review as always LWM. Love this pic too BTW.

QLbHWwJ.jpg

Now if only we can get her with the next part of the Azure Lane collaboration. Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge Wargaming. 

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

You have out done your self with this Review. Great Job interesting take on  this Ship. I learned a whole lot from you this time.

W1GxtdV.gif

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,586 posts

What do you think of IFHE for Prinz Eugen, doubling down on her HE pen to try to make it more effective?

I’ve been running it for a little while and it seems to be helping quite a bit.  The AP is still where it’s at, but early game when you’re trying to just support and not be targeted, it seems to make an HE strategy more effective.

I’ve found if you keep her alive until things thin out, she can be a close combat monster in the mid to late game.

I also found that with the changes in 7.4, Prinz Eugen and Hindenburg feel very similar.  When I play Hindenburg as a giant Prinz Eugen, I do very well with her.

Great review as always @LittleWhiteMouse!

Can’twait to see your take on the new and improved Massachusetts!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,457 battles
29 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Like the direction your going with the visuals, keep up the great work.

You should thank the Soup Chibi @Chobittsu he gave LWM the charecters, she just added to her normal review style. Still sad @Lert did not appear, he hasn't the past few. Is he sulking in his box?

M8EWm0X.png

[WOLF3]
Members
20,372 posts
18,644 battles

The mediocre HE shells is a problem for the German Cruiser Line.  They all have poor Fire Chance, poor HE shell damage.  This is only rectified with certain ships of this line:

Fast firing CLs like K-/N-Berg.

Roon & Hindenburg with 10 second base reload times, and MBM3 taking that down to 8.8 seconds.  That reload time is the only reason why Hindenburg does high damage.  Individually, Hindy's HE shells are sh*t.  But 12 of those guns firing at 10 or 8.8 second intervals, that damage racks up and the fires start happening.

The problem for the German CAs Admiral Hipper, Prinz Eugen, Yorck, is that they don't have the faster gun options of Roon, Hindenburg, nor that ROF of K-/N-Berg.

So when LWM says you got choices to make to cause damage with Prinz, she's not joking.  AP is your best, highest impact shell, but there will be times when it simply isn't a good option and may have to settle for HE.  If stay on HE, then your damage is going to tank badly.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,759 posts
6,239 battles

Thank you for the review Mouse. I'm glad that I have Eugen in port, and glad that I have Atago in battle.

Edited by SkaerKrow

[WOLF8]
Members
4,795 posts
4,626 battles

Thanks for the marvelous review, Miss Maus.

Mebbe I should dust off my chubby 'lil bote and take her out for a spin again. x)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,147 posts
8,465 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

So when LWM says you got choices to make to cause damage with Prinz, she's not joking.  AP is your best, highest impact shell, but there will be times when it simply isn't a good option and may have to settle for HE.  If stay on HE, then your damage is going to tank badly.

1qRHmN6.png

This is why.  Each penetrating hit with AP is worth 2.36 times as many hits with HE.  The only balance changer in is this fires, but Prinz Eugen does not stack fires well.  Note:  HE cannot overpenetrate, thus her saturated hit is listed again merely to compare the low-end damage it can dispense.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles

Great review! I love my Hipper and I'm sure I'd like Prinz Eugen too, I just know that my wallet won't. Need to wait and see how next paycheck goes.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,805 posts
6,113 battles

For the people who love her, I am glad she was improved. For me, personally, she will likely remain a port queen. If I am going to face down the brutal torments of tier 8 matchmatching, I can't see any reason to choose Eugen over Tirpitz.

[WOLF8]
Members
4,795 posts
4,626 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

1qRHmN6.png

This is why.  Each penetrating hit with AP is worth 2.36 times as many hits with HE.  The only balance changer in is this fires, but Prinz Eugen does not stack fires well.  Note:  HE cannot overpenetrate, thus her saturated hit is listed again merely to compare the low-end damage it can dispense.

Maybe it's just me, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't even bother with the HE shells on Prinzcess Chubby Pudding, even with the Special German HE Penetration (tm), because of how low their damage is and how hard it is to start fire with them. I know there are times when you have to scrummage into your pocket and pull out those HE shells... but I rather just fire the Supreme German AP Shells (tm) at the superstructure and be done with it... or not fire at all and retain my concealment if I'm far away (while looking for a better position to shoot), or just use the Glorious Deutschland Torpedoes (tm) if I'm close.

I donno, I guess it's just me. I was surprised and disappointed when I first found out how anemic her HE shells were...

[HINON]
Supertester
20,967 posts
14,594 battles

Why you gotta post these when I'm asleep?

Anyways, reaction gif. Reaction gif, hmmmmm .... Oh! I got it:

2n8H5ki.gif

1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

QLbHWwJ.jpg

Huh, settled on Gudbote after all?

For everyone else: Mouse and me spent perhaps way too much time debating on the final rating. She was initially going to give it a Mehbote rating, until we started really thinking about which ship we'd rather see on our team and comparing Eugen to basically all other T8 CL and CA.

14 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Maybe it's just me, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't even bother with the HE shells on Prinzcess Chubby Pudding, even with the Special German HE Penetration (tm), because of how low their damage is and how hard it is to start fire with them.

HE pens will do more damage than AP overpens and splash damage will still take out AA mounts and torpedoes. Against broadside destroyers where AP will just overpen and there's no citadel to hit HE is the shell of choice.

1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Won't play here, says 'not available'. So how about this one, with english subtitles and subject appropriate footage?

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,730 posts
11,063 battles
13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Maybe it's just me, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't even bother with the HE shells on Prinzcess Chubby Pudding, even with the Special German HE Penetration (tm), because of how low their damage is and how hard it is to start fire with them. I know there are times when you have to scrummage into your pocket and pull out those HE shells... but I rather just fire the Supreme German AP Shells (tm) at the superstructure and be done with it... or not fire at all and retain my concealment if I'm far away (while looking for a better position to shoot), or just use the Glorious Deutschland Torpedoes (tm) if I'm close.

I donno, I guess it's just me. I was surprised and disappointed when I first found out how anemic her HE shells were...

If you know you'll shoot at something angled (let's say a Yamato), just stick with HE as long as it is angled. Yes AP will overpen the superstructure and probably deal more damage per shell but you still has a chance to cause fire. Fire damage is based on % max HP of a ship, you will eventually deal more damage by starting fire.

But if for some reason the ennemi starts showing broadside or you can flank him then yes just stick with AP 

Oh and nice review, I see Eugen, I press like 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[WOLF3]
Members
20,372 posts
18,644 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

I thank Eurobeat for introducing that song to me when he did his Scharnhorst video :Smile_teethhappy:  For a long while, when I played Scharnhorst, that song was playing in the background as I lay stuff to waste.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
4,795 posts
4,626 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

HE pens will do more damage than AP overpens and splash damage will still take out AA mounts and torpedoes. Against broadside destroyers where AP will just overpen and there's no citadel to hit HE is the shell of choice.

1 minute ago, AlcatrazNC said:

If you know you'll shoot at something angled (let's say a Yamato), just stick with HE as long as it is angled. Yes AP will overpen the superstructure and probably deal more damage per shell but you still has a chance to cause fire. Fire damage is based on % max HP of a ship, you will eventually deal more damage by starting fire.

But if for some reason the ennemi starts showing broadside or you can flank him then yes just stick with AP 

Yes of course, I'm aware of these as well. Thanks for reminding me.

I just seem to have a very bad luck with RNG or something. My HE shells only take out an odd AA mount, and rarely anything important like a torpedo tube. I'm not saying it never happens... but not enough in my opinion. Same with the fire starting... I keep thinking "it'd be very nice if I start fire right now, and I mean NAO" as I keep chucking dem HE shells... but it never happens... until someone else on my team does it for me, LOL.

My biggest pet peeve with shell switching with Prinzcess Chubby Pudding is her 13 seconds reload. By the time it's done, the battle condition has already changed and I really could use dem AP shells again... Too often, I just wanna chuck those HE shells down a garbage chute, lel.

But you guys are right. I should just suck it up and be more flexible. The prinzcess really needs those HE shells at times, no matter how bad they are.

Speaking of Yamato, last time I poked dat Japanese bear at range... it blew my face off clean, lol. And yes, it was a bot Yamato in Coop. Ouch.