You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Coming Down the Premium Tube

15 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,295 posts
7,873 battles

Just a bit of a summary of the premium ships that may be coming soon that I know of. Also a way for me to make sure I haven't missed anything.

First, the aggrieved DDs:

Monaghan: A modified Farragut, that can drop half of it's guns for marginal increases to its torpedo and AA armament. Still wishing the US DDs had the option of choosing between the DP 5"/38 and the 5"/51 with better velocity. Come on Wargaming give the 5"/51 a firing rate comparable to the 5"/38 and allow a little more customization in the game (sacrificing the 5"/38 would also disable the option of using Def AA). It wouldn't be the first time a ship was given an ahistorical RoF. Just ask the secondaries on NC, SD, and Iowa. Or for a main battery example, I'll bring up the Helena. And it's not like it couldn't be argued that improved 5"/51 would be produced with faster RoFs if the Navy had decided to go that way.

T-61: A somewhat OP DD that's been languishing in development hell since December. I'm still holding out hope that we'll get her since the Z-39, armed with 6" guns, isn't suitable for being a trainer for the entire German line. And if WoWS Stats & Numbers is anything to go by, Asashio appears to have been a bit of a bust in the sales department (only 3,000 games played since it's release) so an OP premium DD would be nice. Of course this could just be me wanting to hear baBBies [edited] some more since I can readily say that Asashio isn't much of a threat if you actually use WASD hacks and have a DD or CL/CA with marginal intelligence. I spent a rather enjoyable game dancing around one in my Alsace, taking only one hit and then murdering her with secondaries. And let's not even get into the mess I made of one in my Des Moines, that just wasn't fair even from my prespective.

Z-39: Supposedly coming out this month but I've learned there are three constants in life: Death, Taxes, and Wargaming needing to backtrack on at least one premium ship tease. And outside the BBs, they're not exactly batting a thousand with the German premiums. Still, I'm an optimist with this game. On the other hand, being an optimist hasn't undone 5.3 and 6.3 so... Toss up?

Cossack: A ship that is looking oh so F I N E. Basically, a British Akizuki with a lower RoF, better HE pen, slightly worse arcs, better firing angles (if God-jah Mada is anything to go by), more speed and maneuverability, similar concealment, MUCH less AA, and a tier lower (where that improved HE pen is going to be very useful). Speakijng of Akizuki, I'm wondering if the Super-Aki and Super-Duper-Aki are going to be the 3rd quarter "line" I sure hope not.

That's it for DDs, now for Cruisers:

Boise: A slightly gimped Helena with radar. My current prospect is wait and see and hope wargaming does something about superfloaty US 6" shells. She's possibly going to be renamed and put on a new Pan-America Tech Tree.

Duca Degli Abruzzi (more like A bruising): From what I hear, this is basically the opposite of the Asashio. Instead of a DD designed to hunt BBs, it's a cruiser designed to randomly explode when tier IV+ BBs look at it funny. She's got a couple odds and ends, but from what some of the CCs have hinted at, she's not going to be topping any best-seller list.

Kronshtadt and Stalingrad (how in the heck are these cruisers?): Near-sisters from what I can tell, though the latter lacks HE. I'm keeping an eye on both and I haven't really formed a solid opinion of either yet (save for muttering a few comments pertaining to Stalingrad about Russian bias). I'm willing to bet Kron is going to be the first non-BB Free XP ship. And the announcement of new in-game currencies has me doing a happy dance. Downside, I predict a lot of grinding. Thank God I've finished all my lines save French BBs.

And now the only truly important class of ships:

Massachusetts: Whelp, this one is looking interesting at least. I'm kind of dreading what Wargaming plans to do with her beyond giving he boosted secondary range. If that's all they're doing, this thing is going to sell like the Krasny Krym.

I also saw something about the Borodino at tier II on the SEA Group, but I haven't heard anything since.

Pretty sure there's a fourth class, but everyone seems to hate it and call it cancerous even when it's only in about a fifth of the games:

Graf Zeppelin: From what I've heard, she's finally been completed and now we just have to wait out the three month exclusion period.

Whelp, if there's any I've missed please let me know. Overall, I'm probably not going to be getting several of these (including the two they hope to put out this month) but others definitely have my attention and they're no brainers  (T-61 and Graf Zeppelin)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ICE9]
Members
844 posts
14 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Boise: A slightly gimped Helena with radar. My current prospect is wait and see and hope wargaming does something about superfloaty US 6" shells. She's possibly going to be renamed and put on a new Pan-America Tech Tree.

I'm hoping they can do both, maybe a renamed Pan-Am and the USS Boise, perhaps with different gimmicks.

I would buy the USS Boise in a flat second, Nueve de Julio not so much.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
42 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I also saw something about the Borodino at tier II on the SEA Group, but I haven't heard anything since.

The Borodino is coming, count on it. As are other pre-dreadnoughts when they get their stuff together and focus on this. See my thread and vote if you are inclined:

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
48 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And if WoWS Stats & Numbers is anything to go by, Asashio appears to have been a bit of a bust in the sales department (only 3,000 games played since it's release) so an OP premium DD would be nice. 

Eh not exactly fair to say that by battles played. Think about it. It has been out about 5days and ranked started at the same time. It isn’t the best dd to take into ranked so the battles are most likely way off. That’s a good number of battles if you break it down. 

Neat list though.

[AAA]
Members
440 posts
5,482 battles

Mognahan. Why would I want this?

z39. I guess if you like the 150s you get them at t7. Meh

now the t61.....yes please. 

GZ oh yes!

itallian explosion. Pass

boise sounds fun as do the Russians 

I’d like a USS black and Flint and Salem but I’m not that good

a wild idea. How about a T3 premium bb called HMS Dreadnought. Seems like it was a famous ship

Edited by wstugamd
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

A questions I'd like to ask is this... just how many times can you mix the formula until you run out of reasons to get the next new thing?

[NGA]
Members
1,295 posts
7,873 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

A questions I'd like to ask is this... just how many times can you mix the formula until you run out of reasons to get the next new thing?

We'll just have to see now won't we.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
11 hours ago, wstugamd said:

Mognahan. Why would I want this?

z39. I guess if you like the 150s you get them at t7. Meh

now the t61.....yes please. 

GZ oh yes!

itallian explosion. Pass

boise sounds fun as do the Russians 

I’d like a USS black and Flint and Salem but I’m not that good

a wild idea. How about a T3 premium bb called HMS Dreadnought. Seems like it was a famous ship

Dreadnought?  Haven't heard of her.  What was she famous for again?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
13 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Massachusetts: Whelp, this one is looking interesting at least. I'm kind of dreading what Wargaming plans to do with her beyond giving he boosted secondary range. If that's all they're doing, this thing is going to sell like the Krasny Krym.

Any kind of brawling-optimized USN battleship is going to sell like hotcakes.

The secondary range is a great start.

I hear the maneuverability is good.

Those are two excellent characteristics.

More hit points for the extra damage she'll be taking with her in-your-face tactics, check.

If they wanted to bump secondary ROF to historical levels, that would be awesome and probably the only extra thing she'd need.

Not sure that the longer cooldown on one of her consumables is a good idea though.  And maybe a middle ground on Sigma at 1.8 (assuming it even makes much difference at the 10km ranges she'll be shooting from.  Not sure.)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
13 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Monaghan: A modified Farragut, that can drop half of it's guns for marginal increases to its torpedo and AA armament. Still wishing the US DDs had the option of choosing between the DP 5"/38 and the 5"/51 with better velocity. Come on Wargaming give the 5"/51 a firing rate comparable to the 5"/38 and allow a little more customization in the game (sacrificing the 5"/38 would also disable the option of using Def AA). It wouldn't be the first time a ship was given an ahistorical RoF. Just ask the secondaries on NC, SD, and Iowa. Or for a main battery example, I'll bring up the Helena. And it's not like it couldn't be argued that improved 5"/51 would be produced with faster RoFs if the Navy had decided to go that way.

Did any DDs in the WWII era actually mount the 5"/51?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

They can make Boise 2 ships in the same tier.  Look at Nurnberg & Makarov.  Boise in her original US WWII form, and later when she went into Argentine service.

Don't forget, the USS Benson herself is in the game twice in the same tier.  Her normal WWII US service form and in Republic of China service as... Lo Yang :Smile_glasses:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

ooo...a thread about needed premiums...

T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61! T-61!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,894 posts
10,708 battles
59 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Any kind of brawling-optimized USN battleship is going to sell like hotcakes.

The secondary range is a great start.

I hear the maneuverability is good.

Those are two excellent characteristics.

More hit points for the extra damage she'll be taking with her in-your-face tactics, check.

If they wanted to bump secondary ROF to historical levels, that would be awesome and probably the only extra thing she'd need.

Not sure that the longer cooldown on one of her consumables is a good idea though.  And maybe a middle ground on Sigma at 1.8 (assuming it even makes much difference at the 10km ranges she'll be shooting from.  Not sure.)

Yes, yes, must have Massachusetts...:Smile_great:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,014 battles

Yes MUST have Massachusetts! :)  And previous poster was correct a true Brawling US BB will indeed break sales records!

Edited by nagasakee

[ARGSY]
Members
6,366 posts
4,293 battles

If they give us Borodino, chances are they will probably give us Mikasa back to go with her. Possibly even as a package.

It will be interesting to see what the relative dispersion figures are like on the main armament. :Smile_hiding: