You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vhf

R10 Wake Up Call

27 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles

I must say I enjoyed getting to rank 10 immensely this season. My Benson took me most of the way nearly effortlessly, winning 10 of 12 games and coming in top position is both losses. I was a breeze and conveniently I was in a position to unlock gearing just as I ranked to 10. So I get in my Gearing and damn. the whole world changed. The approach that had worked so well in tier 8's completely failed me in 10's. I'm playing far too aggressively,  especially with red teams sporting double DM games which I saw more than a few of. I've struggled to find ways to both survive and contribute in an environment with such a small margin of error. Clearly, many of the players I'm facing have more experience running their ships than I do and it shows. 

For clarity, my exposure to tier 10 in general is limited to my 100+ games in randoms in the Yammy and some work with my 60 odd games in my Moskva. Neither ship worked particularly well for me. I can imagine that there are some of you thinking that I'm breaking in a tier 10 in ranked and how silly that is, but my choices are limited and I only have a limited number of games to in the Montana where I've seen any success in random.

So my choices are to go back to a bb's that I either don't feel great about or have limited experience in or fight through my issues with gearing and figure it out. So I've decided to keep pushing with the gearing. I'm thinking about this season as one abject lesson after another in what not to do and I do believe I will eventually find the right formula. My apologies in advance to anyone on my future teams that may be suffering through my learning curve. I've had success in higher tier us dd play and I plan to continue that trend. I see this as a personal challenge. So if you see me run off and do something stupid in game, please understand that it's ignorance of tier 10 dd play and not a desire to screw you over. I will try to asks for direction as much as possible and hopefully get some good advice.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,981 battles

Just hope you don't get into 5-2 that early. Or you'll see that spike again. But if you can learn from your beatings, it'll be worth it. 

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

well it's new experience for everyone

whoever adjust themselves to fit into the tx rank meta gets to advance to higher ranks

Alpha Tester
1,072 posts
4,514 battles

I wanted to hit rank X today as I'm better equipped for them than I am for tier VIII. I started off the day at rank 12, and in 11 battles I didn't leave it. Always tomorrow I guess.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
37 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

Just hope you don't get into 5-2 that early. Or you'll see that spike again. But if you can learn from your beatings, it'll be worth it. 

I think I'm playing the better players at 6-10 still so it's probably harder now than it will be in a few weeks but team quality will probably drop over all so it feels like a wash. If I can learn is the question I suppose but the beatings won't be a problem.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

a5M2b4B.jpg

And that world will kick your [edited].

I'm starting to think that this game teaches humility before it teaches anything else.

• Cool 1

[DBD]
Members
81 posts
7,797 battles

Playing Tier X is a different ballgame. Way more passive play and as a DD driver you have to really plan on where to position. I am starting my Rank 10 forward journey tonight and as always, earlier in the season is always way more difficult. You are up against players with thousands of games played, hundreds plus in Tier X. Will be an interesting month for sure!

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,411 posts
3,583 battles

2 hours ago, vhf said:

In a DD you need to reset your aggressiveness level. Its a whole different ball game at tier X and you need to be more surgical in your approach.

Spots and vision is a much more valuable piece of information. Caps can lose their priority in early game and longer range torpedoes like the Gearing or YY is effective against Island radar cruisers. 

Get on the flanks, picket for the enemy DD's and make sure not to over extend far from your team. Time your plays perfectly because 1 mistake in timing or decision can result in a swift trip to port.  Get mods for consumable timers ( i dont use this but i usually time radar sweeps and other consumables ) and keep your head on a swivel. 

Members
1,312 posts
21,139 battles

I'm where you are OP.

I went 21 and 14 with 60% WR from Tier 17 to 10 in my Richelieu.  Yippee!  But then....

I know the T10 meta is more passive, and it's a far more unforgiving arena.  Sigh.  And I have about a 50% WR in my Yammy, and not so good in my Moscva and I failed my way to a Gearing, so I won't even contemplate that.

I've tried the Yammy, and made it to T8 OK, then got on my "well, I know I should stop after two losses, but just one more..." horse and I'm back to T10.

Now I'm trying my Moscva.  I really like playing both ships; which is good, cause I've got a feeling the misery is just beginning for me.

Good luck to all of us.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
2 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

In a DD you need to reset your aggressiveness level. Its a whole different ball game at tier X and you need to be more surgical in your approach.

Spots and vision is a much more valuable piece of information. Caps can lose their priority in early game and longer range torpedoes like the Gearing or YY is effective against Island radar cruisers. 

Get on the flanks, picket for the enemy DD's and make sure not to over extend far from your team. Time your plays perfectly because 1 mistake in timing or decision can result in a swift trip to port.  Get mods for consumable timers ( i dont use this but i usually time radar sweeps and other consumables ) and keep your head on a swivel. 

Good advice. The difficulty as always comes in execution. Persistence seems like the key. Trying to find that one thing you did wrong and figuring out how you could have done it different. I've started making a list. I have over a dozen items so far. I try to add something every game and keep those top of mind when playing. Hopefully this will come more naturally at some point.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

I'm where you are OP.

I went 21 and 14 with 60% WR from Tier 17 to 10 in my Richelieu.  Yippee!  But then....

I know the T10 meta is more passive, and it's a far more unforgiving arena.  Sigh.  And I have about a 50% WR in my Yammy, and not so good in my Moscva and I failed my way to a Gearing, so I won't even contemplate that.

I've tried the Yammy, and made it to T8 OK, then got on my "well, I know I should stop after two losses, but just one more..." horse and I'm back to T10.

Now I'm trying my Moscva.  I really like playing both ships; which is good, cause I've got a feeling the misery is just beginning for me.

Good luck to all of us.

I feel your pain. Another rough night. Briefly broke R9 and then back to R10.

I think the Moskva is relatively ill suited to the current meta but you can probably make it work. Mostly it seems to come down to positioning since relocating is not it's strength. The slow reload vs DM's doesn't help. Good luck to you as well. The soul sucking mantra is "keep at it" but it's the only way to succeed. Makes me wish I have persisted at the last tier 7 ranked season when I took it to R5 with almost a month left and decided not to bother going further. It's a test of will.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
5 hours ago, vhf said:

I'm playing far too aggressively

This is one of the many reasons why tier 10 in this game is a steaming turd. You develop skills and abilities that are rewarding as you climb the ladder, and when you reach the top, those skills and abilities don't fully transfer because every ship - instead of being a profoundly rewarding "complete" vessel - is a shallow caricature of the more flexible performers that preceded it.

There are only 2 reasons to play tier 10 in WoWs: you genuinely cannot deal with the emotional burden of being bottom tier, and you feel the need to "get your epeen on" by flexing at people from the top of the mountain. But from a pure gameplay perspective, it's a dumpster fire.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles

What's worse is that you have entered the Dunning Kruger zone. BE ready for the salt and rage.

Members
155 posts
10,415 battles

I think you are brave taking a ship you have never played into ranked, especially at Tier 10 where the gameplay is different to Tier 8.

Maybe you are a good player but it can take me dozens of games to get used to a new boat, so maybe play some games in random with the Gearing and see how you get on.

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Dude just tanked my team by taking his Bismarck into Ranked with a grand total of 14 games in it and having absolutely no clue how to play it.  It only takes one on your team to tank it.  I personally won't treat this format as a venue for me to learn at my teammates expense.

Edited by delp5117

Members
55 posts
5,103 battles

The last 2 days i went some 74% wr in tier 8 ranked, hit level  10 and nothing i do can get me off the no star ten, if ten wasnt irrevocable id be back to rank 14 by now. I have a lot of clan battle exp and have a lot of sucess in pubs but i never play to keep my star i play to win... perhaps in need to play more selfish just sux that have a lot of success then have nothing but failure, all of a sudden.

thinking about leaving it alone for a week let some other bad players fill up the roster so i can play with more folks in my aptitude level.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
17 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Dude just tanked my team by taking his Bismarck into Ranked with a grand total of 14 games in it and having absolutely no clue how to play it.  It only takes one on your team to tank it.  I personally won't treat this format as a venue for me to learn at my teammates expense.

Learning is always at your teams expense whether in ranked or not. I could be doing the same in CW or randoms and that would be better how? Honestly, the Gearing plays verily similarly to the Fletcher and Benson that I am familiar with both. It's the meta and T10 dd play that I'm adjusting to. As far as I can tell, the high stress environment of ranked is the best teacher. As I said, I have sympathy for my teammates that must suffer this learning curve with me, but they will suffer it nonetheless because I will continue to fight through my issues with the Gearing and ultimately I will succeed.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
13 minutes ago, Tempered_Tantrum said:

The last 2 days i went some 74% wr in tier 8 ranked, hit level  10 and nothing i do can get me off the no star ten, if ten wasnt irrevocable id be back to rank 14 by now. I have a lot of clan battle exp and have a lot of sucess in pubs but i never play to keep my star i play to win... perhaps in need to play more selfish just sux that have a lot of success then have nothing but failure, all of a sudden.

thinking about leaving it alone for a week let some other bad players fill up the roster so i can play with more folks in my aptitude level.

Bold is probably true but honestly I'd prefer to play against superior players as I think that's the best way to learn. Those smacks upside the head are instructive.

Beta Testers
27 posts
4,585 battles
46 minutes ago, denismc66 said:

I think you are brave taking a ship you have never played into ranked, especially at Tier 10 where the gameplay is different to Tier 8.

Maybe you are a good player but it can take me dozens of games to get used to a new boat, so maybe play some games in random with the Gearing and see how you get on.

Brave or stupid seems to be the two points of view. Randoms don't provide a suitable primer for ranked in my opinion due to the team size, tier and focus differences.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles

Rank comes down to persistence. Don't let that word, skill fool you :Smile_teethhappy: On the other hand, skill with persistence can payout
huge dividends, if one applies oneself. Ranked is, one of the best environments, too learn how to boaty boat better. Keep at it
@vhf and no doubt you will succeed. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Just remember OP: Just because you got sunk doesn't mean you weren't doing the right thing- maybe just at the wrong time. Sometimes the "other guy" gets lucky or does something right or is just downright better than you. 

One thing I can assure you is that you will be better in your Gearing in Randoms if you scrape your knees a little bit in Ranked. As long as you don't throw your ship away senselessly for short term gains and play to the strengths of your chosen ship you will be contributing to the battle in a positive way whether it results in you being sunk or not.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,221 battles
7 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

This is one of the many reasons why tier 10 in this game is a steaming turd. You develop skills and abilities that are rewarding as you climb the ladder, and when you reach the top, those skills and abilities don't fully transfer because every ship - instead of being a profoundly rewarding "complete" vessel - is a shallow caricature of the more flexible performers that preceded it.

There are only 2 reasons to play tier 10 in WoWs: you genuinely cannot deal with the emotional burden of being bottom tier, and you feel the need to "get your epeen on" by flexing at people from the top of the mountain. But from a pure gameplay perspective, it's a dumpster fire.

That’s not really true. The deal with  T10 is that the gameplay is far less forgiving than lower tiers. If you take a team of players who try to use tactics from the lower tiers against an experienced team of players playing to the normal T10 meta, the latter would win in a roflstomp. 

T10 is far less forgiving than lower tiers are and thus people play much more safe. BBs become more accurate, cruisers and DDs have top line captains and upgrades, CVs are ludicrously powerful with a good player behind one, etc. 

Its not a deal of being better ot worse, its just a vast difference in meta

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,308 battles
13 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

a5M2b4B.jpg

This is not the Gearing you're looking for....  move along....  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
55 posts
5,103 battles
8 hours ago, vhf said:

Bold is probably true but honestly I'd prefer to play against superior players as I think that's the best way to learn. Those smacks upside the head are instructive.

i agree but you dont learn anything when ZR rushb and MIA is on the red team and u have a bunch of, casual clans on ur side, i am usually the last to die always win the objective i fight for but the other 6 just fail so vary hard, i cant carry 6 im just not that good quite yet.