You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Yugumo - Shimakaze captain build

12 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,016 posts
8,240 battles

Yamamoto is currently 2/17 with PM/EM/LS/TAE/SI/CE. Was originally planning on getting SE next, then last point on PT.

Clanmate suggested getting TA once upgrade to the 12km torps on Yugumo. Gave it some thought, seems to have merit. If I go TA, then what I could do is swap out EM for TA, get SE as originally planned, and PT. TA especially sounds like fun with the F3 torps simply because 81 knots and 6.4 range will have BBs quaking!

Thus far I've gotten used to "detected = all reds aiming at me" mindset and reasonably stealthy, so wondering too if worthwhile to swap out SI for BFT for the times I can use my MB.

Members
1,733 posts
9,882 battles

Standard IJN DD captain:

PM, LS, SE, CE

Followed by:

RPF, TAE, and AR or EM depending on how you feel the turrets are.

TA in my experience hardly ever makes a difference in turning a miss into a hit.  I would rather have AR or EM as both can turn fights in my favor more often.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles

If you have 4 remaining skill points to spend, I'd consider Radio Location.  RL is a good DD skill to have, and particularly so, if you're trying to stay unspotted by enemy DDs who are trying to hunt you down.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,217 battles

RPF will also increase your predictive torp hit percentage on nearby DDs by about a million (scientific figure there).

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,750 battles

I use TA on Shimmy so I can use 20km torps and do area denial.

My main purpose in Shimmy was to slow enemy advances or cause BB'S to turn broadside to friendlies.

Now I can use that captain on Asashio as well.

I also use RFP,  as this is my clan wars build.

As my signature states, 5 kills In a clan wars match using the Shimmy.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

A DD hater playing DDs? :cap_wander_2:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,016 posts
8,240 battles
2 hours ago, tenfingerstentoes said:

RPF will also increase your predictive torp hit percentage on nearby DDs by about a million (scientific figure there).

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

If you have 4 remaining skill points to spend, I'd consider Radio Location.  RL is a good DD skill to have, and particularly so, if you're trying to stay unspotted by enemy DDs who are trying to hunt you down.

Can see the value in avoiding, but getting torp hits with it seems another skill. It's already brutal enough attempting to think 30-50 seconds ahead on reds. Yamamoto is about 30K from 18th point, then likely I'll farm elite XP on 3 of my 19-point captains for the last one.

Far as you're aware, RPF has more tactical value than TA?

1 hour ago, Wulfgarn said:

A DD hater playing DDs? :cap_wander_2:

The current stealth meta offered enough challenge to interest me, and after learning much of BBs and CAs, wanted something different. DDs put a lot of stress on cool patience and timing. I'm currently at Khab, Mahan, Yugumo, Shirayatsu, and Ognevoi. Last two I stopped grinding because need to run MO regularly for credits to outfit upgrades.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
5 minutes ago, Reymu said:

The only DD that I've used TA on is the Gearing, because 16km torps is really overkill.  She does just fine with 13 and change km.

As for the Shimmy, I wouldn't want to lose 2.4 km off the 12 km torps.  12 km gets you beyond both the Des Moines' and Moskva's radar ranges.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,217 battles
34 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Can see the value in avoiding, but getting torp hits with it seems another skill. It's already brutal enough attempting to think 30-50 seconds ahead on reds. Yamamoto is about 30K from 18th point, then likely I'll farm elite XP on 3 of my 19-point captains for the last one.

The current stealth meta offered enough challenge to interest me, and after learning much of BBs and CAs, wanted something different. DDs put a lot of stress on cool patience and timing. I'm currently at Khab, Mahan, Yugumo, Shirayatsu, and Ognevoi. Last two I stopped grinding because need to run MO regularly for credits to outfit upgrades.

If you're at Yugumo/Shima you need to have a good mental picture of where the enemy DDs are at all times. RPF just helps crystallize that. You know the guy is somewhere 'that way' already, now you have a real clear picture. Especially with Shima, launching 15 along the path you know they're traveling will reap lots of hits. Nothing more productive for a Shima than taking out an enemy DD without ever being spotted.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,723 posts
8,242 battles

My recommended build would be :

-PM

-LS 

-SE

-CE

-RPF

-TAE

-AR

I'm used to IJN turret traverse, it no longer really bother me since I plan ahead where my turret should be pointed. EM isn't really usefull IMO since you should only gunboat while kitting away. Shima torps has really long CD, so having Torp module + TAE + AR is just a must have. I was wondering if SE is better than SI but I opted for SE because it really helps when you pick gunfight against other target. I rarely camp in my smoke and Shima is fast enough to pick certain fight against some BB or CA so SI isn't really worth it. 

PT isn't usefull for any IJN DD (except Akizuki and the following T9-10 ) simply because you don't always use your guns. The moment I open fire I know I'll be targetted by the entire ennemi team so unless I'm near some islands or a DD want to gun me down as I kite, I never open fire. If I don't fire I'll never be spotted, if you're not spotted, PT is useless.

RPF helped me several time dropping blind torps on where ennemi DD might go, especially when I rush a cap (well Shima torps aren't loaded by the time I reach the cap but this works really well with Yuugumo and I suppose Fletcher).

Shima is a decent gunboat and thanks to her concealment buff, I can now push without having the fear of being spotted by a Gearing (I think Yueyang has more or less the same concealment as Shima ) and if i'm spotted, I can just turn around and run away full speed. Also Shima is pretty long for a DD but she doesn't seems to eat a lot of AP pen from BB which is really enjoyable. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
549 posts
6,157 battles

SE is more important than SI for me. I seldom run out of charges of consumables. Now, getting them off cooldown faster, that is priceless (Premium consumables).

Gotta love 3500 or 3150 extra HP.  

Members
1,733 posts
9,882 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

SE is more important than SI for me. I seldom run out of charges of consumables. Now, getting them off cooldown faster, that is priceless (Premium consumables).

Gotta love 3500 or 3150 extra HP.  

I agree with this.  Use premium consumables, and get the all important extra HP.