Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

For Those Who Play Ranked Z-52 and Yueyang

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
524 posts
3,693 battles

So I just ranked into 10 last night. I have both of the aforementioned DD’s and will probably run both to some degree. But, for those who have already been playing the meta in both ships, what are your impressions on your favorite?

I have the radar mod for the Yueyang so it’s kitted for that.  I ran it once with smoke and found that the prevalence of DM’s really limits much in terms of offensive smokes. I’m thinking radar is best...right?

I also ran the Z-52 once. I had horrid stats, but managed to hold an entire push by hydroing a key area and letting my team reap the rewards.  Boring as hell, but very effective. I assume this will be par for the course if I care more about winning than WTR, which I do. Since I ran the Lo Yang to get to 10, this was expected.

Which do you find more effective?  We can all look at the numbers and abilities and speculate on it. But, like any ranked season,  the meta often develops in unpredictable ways. Only those who are actually in the meta (or watch it on Twitch) can really turn the theoretical into the practical. So...what are you seeing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
[SG]
Beta Testers
61 posts
9,067 battles

Yue Yang radar in team battles was great, but that's while being on coms. In the crap shoot that pub/ranked are, I'd go with the Z. Detection is worse, but frankly, that us rarely an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,719 battles

52 you get to keep hydro AND smoke

YY you choose either or

that greatly raised the skill floor needed for a radar YY

if you cant survive well in DDs without smoke, go with Z52

survival of DD in ranked is always top priority(unless you are ridiculously out of position in the name of "survival"), caps can be capped back later, dead ships cant be resurrected

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles

The YY's torps can be beastly good, but you give up the ability to use them vs other DDs.  The Z's torps don't have the range of the YY's DWTs but they're regular torps and can be used against enemy DDs (not to mention the very fast reload), plus the Z's AP is outstanding vs enemy DDs and can rip them to shreds in no time flat.  Also, the Z's guns are more effective against larger ships than the YY's guns.

In the end, both are very good DDs. And the answer to which one should use may come down to which you're more comfortable in and which you are more effective using.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
389 posts
11,701 battles

I played both in ranked 10~8, personally i found the Z-52 to be more useful, the torpedoes work on all ships, plus the hydro got significantly longer run time than radar so it's more useful for me to contest caps, you can do a gun build with 3.2s reload, which isn't that far behind a stock gearing/yueyang, also more useful to spam HE/AP at CA/CL/BB in smoke at 14km if you take the range module and take a hit on reload down to 3.6s.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles

I think the YY is better because it has the better tools to deal with all enemies, rather than just being limited to cap fighting.

  • YY can pop radar without being detected, the Z would need smoke to do the same. so while in a cap contest, a Z could pop smoke and hydro, and see nothing, meanwhile a YY can just radar you for 28 seconds completely unspotted. 
  • YY is a better gun fighter, even if you build it as a gun/torp hybrid (i would not recommend YY torp build though) 
  • torping DDs as a tactic in ranked is a bad idea, the Z is common, so dropping on his smoke is probably just going to put you on reload. 
  • dropping torps in a knife fight? why? its not a secret, we know when you drop them, so while you're doing that, you're most likely putting yourself down 2-3 salvos of damage. If you miss, you lose (and remember its pretty obvious what youre doing)
  • YY has torps that are straight better for general use.
  • again...28 seconds of radar with the mod... you can get a lot done in 28 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,271
[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles
8 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

So I just ranked into 10 last night. I have both of the aforementioned DD’s and will probably run both to some degree. But, for those who have already been playing the meta in both ships, what are your impressions on your favorite?

I have the radar mod for the Yueyang so it’s kitted for that.  I ran it once with smoke and found that the prevalence of DM’s really limits much in terms of offensive smokes. I’m thinking radar is best...right?

I also ran the Z-52 once. I had horrid stats, but managed to hold an entire push by hydroing a key area and letting my team reap the rewards.  Boring as hell, but very effective. I assume this will be par for the course if I care more about winning than WTR, which I do. Since I ran the Lo Yang to get to 10, this was expected.

Which do you find more effective?  We can all look at the numbers and abilities and speculate on it. But, like any ranked season,  the meta often develops in unpredictable ways. Only those who are actually in the meta (or watch it on Twitch) can really turn the theoretical into the practical. So...what are you seeing?

 

Considering I have seen battles with zero BBs in Ranked having regular Torps are a good asset to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
524 posts
3,693 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Considering I have seen battles with zero BBs in Ranked having regular Torps are a good asset to have.

I don't really value torps against DD's...and am surprised when they hit.  They are usually aimed at something bigger.  If I get hit by a torp, then I have always strongly believed it was my fault.  But, I have noticed a very strong DD/CA queue.  Still, my number #1, #2, and #3 target priority is DM's.  Or a Manotaur.  Sometimes a Moskva...but they usually sit out too far.  These are the bane of my existence.

As I said, I'll be running both.  But, my initial thoughts are if I see multiple DM's again...chaining radar and pushing my Z-52 out of caps....I might lean towards the YY.   The Z-52 seems like the obvious choice...but that's why I ask these questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,271
[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles
12 hours ago, Uber_Ghost said:

I don't really value torps against DD's...and am surprised when they hit.  They are usually aimed at something bigger.  If I get hit by a torp, then I have always strongly believed it was my fault.  But, I have noticed a very strong DD/CA queue.  Still, my number #1, #2, and #3 target priority is DM's.  Or a Manotaur.  Sometimes a Moskva...but they usually sit out too far.  These are the bane of my existence.

As I said, I'll be running both.  But, my initial thoughts are if I see multiple DM's again...chaining radar and pushing my Z-52 out of caps....I might lean towards the YY.   The Z-52 seems like the obvious choice...but that's why I ask these questions.

Yeah I typically use my Torpedoes against bigger targets as well, but sometimes the Torps are usefulmfor clearing smoked DDs or the occasional accidental hit. Like other day in tier VIII Ranked I was about to die so targeted a BB that was within range of my Kagero Torps and fired, enroute to the BB 1 or the Torps managed to hot and kill an enemy DD and then finally made to to the BB and flooded him out. 

Might just be my opinion of course, but having tactical flexibility can be a useful thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
524 posts
3,693 battles
49 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I typically use my Torpedoes against bigger targets as well, but sometimes the Torps are usefulmfor clearing smoked DDs or the occasional accidental hit. Like other day in tier VIII Ranked I was about to die so targeted a BB that was within range of my Kagero Torps and fired, enroute to the BB 1 or the Torps managed to hot and kill an enemy DD and then finally made to to the BB and flooded him out. 

Might just be my opinion of course, but having tactical flexibility can be a useful thing.

Ran the Z, cleaned out a couple of Yangs last night.  The issue I'm seeing is that towards endgame, smoke/hydro really has significant value while radar/no smoke leaves you with little ability to force any issue.  You're essentially a pure kiting DD with no smoke. 

I'm thinking the radar Yang will have more value as I rank down though.  Specced in radar, the Yang really depends on teaming up with another DD to fulfill it's potential.  As is, I'm not seeing the amount of teamwork required to make the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

Sitting in smoke in Ranked is a good formula for losing once past all of the low ranked players.  The maps are big and it is 7v7.  You need to be spotting and not being seen.  The bigger issue you will find in either platform is how much radar you have to deal with and how skilled your team is at converting your hydro/radar spotting into kills.

A stationary DD is a dead DD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
335
[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles

My issue with the Z is the prevalance of radar ships  (DM, Moskva and even Mino) in T10. It's come to the point that smoke cloud  is a sign saying "target here". Island hugging is now the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×