You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

Poll: The Atago in ranked

The Atago in ranked battles  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you perform in the Atago in ranked battles?

• I consistently carry the rest of the team
    • I’m not amazing, but I pull my weight
    • I’m a drag on the rest of the team
    • I doom my team to failure
    • I have never played the Atago in ranked
  2. 2. When I see an Atago on the enemy team, I think:

• Fetch my brown trousers!
    • I need to be extra cautious; that Atago is the biggest threat on the enemy team
    • The Atago is a worthy foe, but there are greater threats
    • That Atago is probably a pushover
    • Look! An XP piniata!
  3. 3. When I see an Atago on my team, I think:

• My chariot has arrived to carry me to victory!
    • They will be an invaluable part of the team
    • That Atago is likely to pull their weight
    • They are more likely to be a liability than an asset
    • That wallet warrior is going to get us all killed!!

12 comments in this topic

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

a lot of the CC'rs give a well played Atago the thumbs up for T8 segment of ranked.   last T8 ranked go round I recall it being fairly effective when in the right drivers hands. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,604 battles

I'm a terrible Atago/Takao player but I think it's a reasonable ship. Plus I feel like these days the Atago guys aren't that likely to be wallet warriors anymore... it's the Takao guys you gotta watch out for! 

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,729 posts
4,737 battles

Nice thing about an Atago is it can fill in for a DD if they absolutely have too.  Good torps, good concealment, decent guns (slow as heck on traverse though).  Problem is though, if an Atago is seen and a BB is paying attention...  Well, Atago's probably going to get hit pretty hard (But not saying much, that's true about just every cruiser at the tier).  Only drawback you're going to have...  Well...  At least for me a pre-requisite for this ranked tier and the way I play is radar.  Radar ships will be more useful to me then ships with heal/hydro. 

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Atago is a very capable ship, It doesn't rely on a gimmic or good maps to do well. The players in them tend to be quite solid as well from my experience.

Takao players are usually pretty terrible tho, watch out. (at least from my experience in previous ranked seasons, closer to the Takao's gifting)

Edited by X15

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

I think Atago's day is over.  She's still a solid ship, but she no longer dominates the way she used to.

For ranked, I take my Alabama, all day every day.

If I want a Tier 8 cruiser, I reach for Prinz Eugen.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Played her through the ranks quite easily. Great supportive ship for your own DDs. 

Usually went to a cap together with a friendly DD, who I used as a scout.

Though I am not afraid of the average Atago player, because most of them are easy to citadel, because they miss the know how of cruiser play.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

The Kutuzov has turned out to be my bane in a few matches last night.  In my Alt account, I've got Richelieu, New Orleans, Kidd, and Harekaze.

I usually hit battle and see 50ish battleship, 30ish DDs, and 2 cruisers waiting.  So I go in with the New Orleans to get into a battle quicker.

Out of 4 battles last night...  only 1 win.  And that was only because the other team did something ridiculously stupid.  Their last ship stood and fought instead of ran with 994 on their clock.  Apart from one mission where was deleted by 6 lucky citadels from a Bismarck clear across the map at spawn, I usually stood around 2nd or 3rd place on my team.

In one battle, I got 5 citadels on a surprised broadside Kutuzov and only took it down to 1/2 health.  It spun turrets around and deleted me in 2 salvoes.... and I was nose-in.  Still couldn't figure out how it could see me.  It was hiding in smoke, and I popped radar - partially behind an island.  I got 3 full salvoes into it as I counted the overpens and bounces.

Lit up 2 DDs with Radar and then couldn't hit them at 7 KM.  In fact, nobody on my team could hit anyone in that match.  We were wiped out pretty quick.

I think I sunk 3-4 Atago/Takao botes.

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,210 battles

I've never really been afraid of Atago's. Probably because one of my early battles with my new favorite piece of German Engineering (Prinz Eugen) I absolutely schooled an Atago. Citadel City. Honestly haven't taken another Atago seriously since. Hasn't bitten me in the @$$ yet... 

Come to think of it, I've really lost a lot of my sense of fear of enemy ships since I got the PE.

Atago is a decent ship(I don't have her though. My buddy does). 41k HP, heal, 16 8km torps, 10x 8" guns. But I never really get the sense that it's a ship to really fear. In a 1-on-1 with one, I will usually beat them.

A ship I have actually grown to really take seriously in ranked is the Chapayev. That is one irritating cruiser to fight, since they're always in a friendly DD's smoke raining burning Communism onto all the things.

All in all, I see the Atago as meh.

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

If you see me in Atago, just exit to port.  You'll suffer less :cap_rambo:

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my Atago-fu.

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

While you can carry your own weight, and it is a threat in its own right.. there are better ships (NO, Kutz) to play. On my team, I've never seen an amazing Atago.