You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Karma currency

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,015 posts

change karma so make it useful

red team can't change karma, so to avoid rage revenge

only green team can give you karma

then make karma as currency to buy flags camo etc

so this should promote better play

• Bad 2

Members
845 posts
10 battles

Or make it Red Teams can ONLY give you positive Karma. If I get a CV who executes a perfect cross drop and kills me, I compliment him in chat as well as with the Karma system, he is a worthy adversary. If a DD pops out from behind an island and deletes me I do the same. I like rewarding my opponents when I see them do something really well.

• Cool 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,093 posts
12,646 battles

Karma is best left as a minor thing. Playing up its currency value makes people treat it as something to be gained, and therefore gamed. That undermines its real purpose, which is to (very roughly) indicate whether other players think you add to -- vs. detract from -- the enjoyability of the game. Things can have value even if it's not cash value.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Members
2,015 posts
6 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Or make it Red Teams can ONLY give you positive Karma. If I get a CV who executes a perfect cross drop and kills me, I compliment him in chat as well as with the Karma system, he is a worthy adversary. If a DD pops out from behind an island and deletes me I do the same. I like rewarding my opponents when I see them do something really well.

i agree if red team wants to add

so basically make Karma can only be given, not taken, just like xp and credit

Edited by Happy668

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,192 battles
22 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

Bad idea. People up karma the guy that barely pulled his weight while the guy that carried the team gets a down karma. I see it happen a lot.

Beside the fact that friends and aquaintences will feed each other karma.

My opinion is with the way it is implemented it should be just done away with.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,789 posts
6,976 battles

Unless/until they implment a more credible karma system, I cannot see the point of it.

Some basic ideas :  A player coming top in the losing/winning team should be immune to negative karma reports. A player in the top 3 of a team (winning or losing) should require 3 or more reports to suffer a -1 point karma loss/ 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

Karma...the love me currency

sure why not...luv should be worth something.  call the new currency karmasutraCoin.  this would make WoWs more like a pay for love game.  

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

No way. I can't imagine the salt that would be poured onto these forums if that would occur.

Karma should always remain useless. Its too easy to lose to trolls. It would be the ultimate in trolling to report people after the match just because they know they would be messing with your karma like they do now. Imagine losing karma every match and losing those perks you wish it would have.

No its best Karma remain useless.

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,672 battles
50 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

unless i see a TK on enemy team, i almost exclusively report teammates

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
29 minutes ago, SwirvinBirds said:

Bad idea. People up karma the guy that barely pulled his weight while the guy that carried the team gets a down karma. I see it happen a lot.

Beside the fact that friends and aquaintences will feed each other karma.

My opinion is with the way it is implemented it should be just done away with.

There's people out there that would be enraged / triggered if you took away some of their numbers man.

"I had 500 karma, its gone! where's my karma?!"

Then they would come on the forums and rage on WG...ugh yeah just leave the numbers alone. Just make sure they stay useless.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
27 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

No way. I can't imagine the salt that would be poured onto these forums if that would occur.

Karma should always remain useless. Its too easy to lose to trolls. It would be the ultimate in trolling to report people after the match just because they know they would be messing with your karma like they do now. Imagine losing karma every match and losing those perks you wish it would have.

[VOP]
Members
269 posts
7,034 battles
1 hour ago, DarthZeppelin said:

Unless/until they implment a more credible karma system, I cannot see the point of it.

Some basic ideas :  A player coming top in the losing/winning team should be immune to negative karma reports. A player in the top 3 of a team (winning or losing) should require 3 or more reports to suffer a -1 point karma loss/ 

Top score does not mean the person wasn't behaving like an A-hole and should not be immune to be reported for chat or unsporting behavior violations.

There is no way to make a credible karma system.  People treat good karma like gold nuggets and almost never give them out.  People give bad karma like monkeys flinging poo at each other for any reason under the sun including not liking the way your ship is painted (even when using no camo).

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,037 posts

My, this is an impressive feat of whimsy.

I'll tell you what. Set it so that divisions members cannot give each other karma, (no karma farming allowed), and you're on to something.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

WOuld be interesting if Karma can be exchanged for Detonation Flags.

Good karma cancels the bad out.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

If they wanted to make it worth something they would need to make it irrevocable like ranks for a start. Then add a separate field for reports. After that there would need to be systems in place to make sure players don't karma farm each other.

Would be a lot of work. Not sure WG wants to spend the man power to do that when they can make mo' money with ships and new content.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,093 posts
12,646 battles
24 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Set it so that divisions members cannot give each other karma

FWIW, I'm pretty sure this rule already exists. But obviously, it would just become something clan members do instead, so you'd have to ban that too. And friends. And so on...

[TURDS]
Members
579 posts
3,919 battles
2 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Unfortunately, reluctantly, I agree.

If it can be gamed it will stay broken no matter how much effort WG puts into it.

Best to keep it's value relatively low. I honestly think they should make the points you're able to award refresh only slowly.

If you neg rep a lot in a given time period, then your ability to apply further negatives is diminished for a time, same for positive karma.

Keep the flow damped a bit. Karma from any clan member only counts once every blue moon, reports from other clans only counts as one per day. Any reports from divisions count only as one. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

My, this is an impressive feat of whimsy.

I'll tell you what. Set it so that divisions members cannot give each other karma, (no karma farming allowed), and you're on to something.

You can't up-vote your own division mates already.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,176 posts
18,887 battles

Bad idea. While you cannot upvote a div member you just give everyone you know or is a clan member that drop randomly in your match some karma so they can buy stuff with it.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,037 posts
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure this rule already exists. But obviously, it would just become something clan members do instead, so you'd have to ban that too. And friends. And so on...

22 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You can't up-vote your own division mates already.

Thanks for the info.  I don't division so I didn't know. Don't get me wrong. I think divisions are a great idea.  I just won't division or join a clan while I still have ST access.  Too many opportunities to say "Sorry, can't talk about it".

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles
5 hours ago, Happy668 said:

If you make Karma points into currency it will be abused.  What is to stop an entire clan giving each other Karma points all day?