Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

What is the meaning of this tattoo? or The first day I woke up on my ship.

5 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

So I'm fresh out of boot camp (Great Lakes) with orders to report aboard USS Thomaston in San Diego Harbor. First day on board you have orientation, you get assigned to your bunk and first shipboard duty assignment. You meet your first class petty officer Finnegan who is in charge of your division. First class Finnegan has tattoos  all up and down his arms apparently he tries to get one from every port. So Finnegan assigns me the bottom rack (which is on the deck) just under his rack. If you don't know what a rack is, it is your bunk or your bed.

The first morning I awoke on my ship, was to First Class Finnegan yelling and banging on everyone's rack (he was kicking mine) and heavily encouraging the crew to fall out of their bunks. All of the training in boot camp couldn't have prepared me for the first sight I saw, the first day I woke up slid open the curtain and rolled out of my rack, the first sight that greeted me on my very first wake up onboard the USS Thomaston, was Elmer Fudd in full splendor, holding a shot gun pointed at Finnegan's butt crack, which had rabbit tracks running into it and a caption bubble that read; "Come out of there you Wascal Wabbit". That wasn't the last time that I thought I might have made a mistake by joining the Navy.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Funny 5

[WPP]
Members
517 posts
5,468 battles

I tattoo a decent number of Ex-Military (live far from any military culture),  but stuff like the Elmer Fudd seems to be a lot more common than these traditional naval tattoos.  Naval tattoos are reserved for roller derby girls and guys who "created an app.  An app that does what?  An app that works with resource allocation and integral hybridization."  I find contemporary member of the armed services are a bit more cynical and jaded than it seems like earlier (pre-Viet Nam) soldiers/sailors were.  But what do I know?

1,266 posts
13 battles

This is absolutely hilarious!  Thanks for the laugh! :)

1,542 posts
26 battles

I've seen loads of these tattoos over the years, really cool to know what they mean! I have 5 tattoos myself, I'm a big fan! 

Sign in to follow this