You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Akilax

Tier 10 ranked: WHY?

94 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles

Just posting my opinion of tier 10 ranked.

To start with, I've got about 2000 battles under my belt, consider myself a decent player, not really interested in pushing past tier 8 as the gameplay becomes too passive for my liking. I'm not usually a competitive player, but after participating in a couple of ranked seasons I found myself liking it, more than randoms that's for sure. So I decided to be prepared to push all the way this season. Lined up a bunch of tiers 6-8 ships, even saved up my signal flags and consumables.

Then comes the announcement for this season and the tier that will be eligible... from rank 10-1: only tier 10 can participate. Why? 

Why am I being locked out of one game mode I enjoy? I'm sure I'm not the only one who expressed their concern in that regard before the season started. As it stands I've even heard people saying they have had 30 min queues for rank 10 + due to the lack of players. You can't even say it was a greedy cash grab gimmick, as their are no tier 10 premium ships. Perhaps they are trying to maximize gains on premium time? I doubt it. So, who what when where and especially WHY, WG???

If anyone can give me a clear answer as to why WG thought locking out mid tier players from ranked was a good a idea, I would be eternally grateful. This is another one of those decisions from WG that is really frustrating. As if the general gameplay and toxicity of their games and communities weren't bad enough. I left WoT due to this, but after hearing nothing but good stuff about the WoWs crew, I thought I'd try it out. 

Anyways...end rant.

• Boring 3
  • Bad 3

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

I have several tier 10 BBs, and despise the endgame meta so much that the season is dead to me.

No big, though. Not like ranked has ever been anything other than a digital analogue to water boarding.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
4 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

Just posting my opinion of tier 10 ranked.

To start with, I've got about 2000 battles under my belt, consider myself a decent player, not really interested in pushing past tier 8 as the gameplay becomes too passive for my liking. I'm not usually a competitive player, but after participating in a couple of ranked seasons I found myself liking it, more than randoms that's for sure. So I decided to be prepared to push all the way this season. Lined up a bunch of tiers 6-8 ships, even saved up my signal flags and consumables.

Then comes the announcement for this season and the tier that will be eligible... from rank 10-1: only tier 10 can participate. Why? 

Why am I being locked out of one game mode I enjoy? I'm sure I'm not the only one who expressed their concern in that regard before the season started. As it stands I've even heard people saying they have had 30 min queues for rank 10 + due to the lack of players. You can't even say it was a greedy cash grab gimmick, as their are no tier 10 premium ships. Perhaps they are trying to maximize gains on premium time? I doubt it. So, who what when where and especially WHY, WG???

If anyone can give me a clear answer as to why WG thought locking out mid tier players from ranked was a good a idea, I would be eternally grateful. This is another one of those decisions from WG that is really frustrating. As if the general gameplay and toxicity of their games and communities weren't bad enough. I left WoT due to this, but after hearing nothing but good stuff about the WoWs crew, I thought I'd try it out. 

Anyways...end rant.

It’s really not fun. Super passive, boring matches. Very little variety. DDs are all dead in 3 minutes. You are not missing anything enjoyable.

Enjoy playing tier 8 randoms with far fewer tier 10s in the queue.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Many people were asking for T10 ranked, and they now have it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,733 posts
7,742 battles

You are only complaining now? Tier 10 ranked was announced weeks ago.

Also queue time in the 10-6 league is just fine its just queue time in the 5-1 league which happens every season.

If you havent noticed WG has a tactic with Ranked, they change up the tiers every so often so people are forced to acquire new ships, move captains, etc.

• Cool 2

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
3 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

It’s really not fun. Super passive, boring matches. Very little variety. DDs are all dead in 3 minutes. You are not missing anything enjoyable.

Enjoy playing tier 8 randoms with far fewer tier 10s in the queue.

But that's the thing, why do they choose to go with tier 10 when it's been expressed and confirmed by most if not all that it's boring? It makes no sense.

• Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

But that's the thing, why do they choose to go with tier 10 when it's been expressed and confirmed by most if not all that it's boring? It makes no sense.

Because people.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
302 posts
9,887 battles

I really enjoyed ranked this season. People were playing as teams, they were helping each other, focus firing; it was pretty surprising. Very little salt and both teams complementing each other in several matches. Then I made it to ten and things changed. People were getting angry very quickly, teams were splitting up and refusing to stay together to mass their firepower, BB's were hanging back and DD's were all over the place. I played through but when it kept happening I took a break. 

I have no problem with the Tier 10 restriction, although I would have preferred a different tier, but from a game play perspective it was definitely less fun. 

• Cool 1

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
1 minute ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

You are only complaining now? Tier 10 ranked was announced weeks ago.

Also queue time in the 10-6 league is just fine its just queue time in the 5-1 league which happens every season.

If you havent noticed WG has a tactic with Ranked, they change up the tiers every so often so people are forced to acquire new ships, move captains, etc.

I complained when it was announced as well as many others.

As for the tiers, I'm aware. I even recall community contributers mentioning that WG themselves said they would not go past tier 8. So why?

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
8 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

If you consider tier 8 passive, congratulations, you have reached your first milestone enroute to be a true competitive player. 

Up till this point before tier 8, you've been "aggressive" in your own terms, roaming, moving all the time, angling against enemy shells...You have shown yourself capable of using the game mechanics to your advantage. 

At tier 8 and up though, the game challenges you for so much more. Ships became more dangerous from a longer range, crossfire became ever more deadly, while your armor scheme and maneuverbility either stayed the same or even worsened. You can still try to do what you have been doing, but it's like trying to argue your way through a speeding ticket.

You are now a capable fighter, whenever a situation arises you can kind of deal with it. But you are not yet a tactician, knowing beforehand what kind of situation may occur. True aggression at tier X doesn't mean moving all the time or actively maneuvering, it means pushing up logically according to your detection, aggressively position yourself in an enemy flank just barely beyond your detection range, taking unseen but enormous risks behind an island close to a cap circle...

I've been in your situation myself, and I admit it's not easy to get over it. It can be quite frustrating, having your first tier 8s when ships finally started to look proper and fancy for WWII naval fans, only to suffer in this new meta. But please have patience. There is still much to learn for you.

• Cool 7

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
13 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

You can't even say it was a greedy cash grab gimmick, as their are no tier 10 premium ships.

that is EXACTLY the point

no more payfast, no more smoke-firing kutuzov, no more payfast, no more p2w hydro loyang, no more payfast

you can p2w your way up to rank10, but everyone is on fair ground(all tech tree ship) once you hit r10

plus......look at previous rank distributions(from when i started this game): 5/6/7, 6/8, 7, 6, 8/10

past 4 season has all been mid-tier (5~8) player, this is the first time it actually got high tier

i wasn't ranting when i couldnt bring my des moines into ranked, so why are you when you cant bring your favorite mid-tier ship into ranked?

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,540 posts
8,175 battles

Because out of 9 ranked seasons there has never been a T10 season. Because the majority of ranked players, that play past R10, have T10 ships. If you abhor the passive high tier play why would you want to ever play ranked at T10 when so much more is on the line?

• Cool 2

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,733 posts
7,742 battles
3 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

I complained when it was announced as well as many others.

As for the tiers, I'm aware. I even recall community contributers mentioning that WG themselves said they would not go past tier 8. So why?

Because WG probably has realized that the player base has matured to the point that a lot of people have tier 10. We just finished the second season of Clan Battles (which if you dont know is way more fun than ranked ever will be). It has been in tier 10 both seasons and this last season there were significantly less tier 10 rental ships used than in the previous season.

WG also said that they would unify Gold and Doubloons, still waiting for that to happen.

• Cool 2

[LOU1]
Members
3,087 posts
8,164 battles
12 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

We on the forum cannot really tell the feelings of the majority of players because only a small percentage of players frequent the forums.  The Devs stated that there are now enough players with T10 ships that they can grant the requests for T10 Ranked.  I am not sure how many suggestion tickets you submitted to WOWS about T10 Ranked, but they probably received far more asking for T10.  I, myself, am hesitant to move beyond  Level 10, if I get there, because my skills might bring down our team.

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,321 battles

You are not being "locked out".     You say it yourself in the first sentence - you're not interested in pushing past T8 for your own particular reasons.     WG picks a tier.   You either have the ships to play, or you don't.   The reason you don't have the T10 ships is because you chose not to play above T8.    It's not WG's fault, but rather your own (if you're looking for someone to blame).

But hey, if you're going to go the "victim" route, why not champion all those players that are working their way up the line, but have only made it to T6-T7?   Guess those guys are "locked out" too....

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

People have been clamoring on this forum for a tier 10 ranked season for as long as I can remember.  That's why.

If you've out of the clear blue decided you like ranked for some weird @$sed reason and want to continue with this ranked season than you'll need to grind out a Tier 10 ship like everyone else that has some desire to play T10 ranked.  You still have plenty of time before the ranked season ends to complete a T10 grind from Tier 8.   If you don't like tier 10s "cause they are boring" (or whatever the fork your rational is)  than you'll have to wait 4 or 5 months for the next ranked season.  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
7 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

no more payfast, no more smoke-firing kutuzov, no more payfast, no more p2w hydro loyang, no more payfast

you can p2w your way up to rank10, but everyone is on fair ground(all tech tree ship) once you hit r10

plus......look at previous rank distributions(from when i started this game): 5/6/7, 6/8, 7, 6, 8/10

past 4 season has all been mid-tier (5~8) player, this is the first time it actually got high tier

i wasn't ranting when i couldnt bring my des moines into ranked, so why are you when you cant bring your favorite mid-tier ship into ranked?

So ya'll complained about premiums in ranked and WG decided to lock out mid tier players for it? Sounds about right? Why not ask to lock out premiums from ranked? instead of locking out what I assume is a rather large portion of the player base.

And no need for your self righteous false equivalency at the end, I'm only trying to understand.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

People have been clamoring on this forum for a tier 10 ranked season for as long as I can remember.  That's why.

If you've out of the clear blue decided you like ranked for some weird @$sed reason and want to continue with this ranked season than you'll need to grind out a Tier 10 ship like everyone else that has some desire to play T10 ranked.  You still have plenty of time before the ranked season ends to complete a T10 grind from Tier 8.   If you don't like tier 10s "cause they are boring" (or whatever the fork your rational is)  than you'll have to wait 4 or 5 months for the next ranked season.  

Keep your sass to yourself.

• Bad 2

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,170 battles

This is the 9th season of ranked, by now most players have at least one Tier X.  

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
4,066 battles
15 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

There's no payfast in T8.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
1 minute ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

So ya'll complained about premiums in ranked and WG decided to lock out mid tier players for it? Sounds about right? Why not ask to lock out premiums from ranked? instead of locking out what I assume is a rather large portion of the player base.

And no need for your self righteous false equivalency at the end, I'm only trying to understand.

well to be fair they do have statistics. People who reached rank 10 from previous seasons usually have tier X anyway... If I'm WG executive producer I would risk the 10% bickering instead of hearing 100% bickering about payfast :cap_haloween:

Plus people did pay actual bucks for premium ships. OP or not, it is their right to play it according to EULA and terms. Premium ships being OP is WG's fault, but by locking them out of rank you are punishing the customers.

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
37 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

Anyways...end rant.

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Akilax said:

1498974368106.png

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
6 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

You are not being "locked out".     You say it yourself in the first sentence - you're not interested in pushing past T8 for your own particular reasons.     WG picks a tier.   You either have the ships to play, or you don't.   The reason you don't have the T10 ships is because you chose not to play above T8.    It's not WG's fault, but rather your own (if you're looking for someone to blame).

But hey, if you're going to go the "victim" route, why not champion all those players that are working their way up the line, but have only made it to T6-T7?   Guess those guys are "locked out" too....

My lack of interest does not mean I'm not trying to get to a tier 10. I am just taking my sweet time. 

As for players who only made it to tier 6, well they probably haven't been playing long to be effective in ranked. Doesn't take long to get to that tier. When I started playing I believe rank was tier 6-7 or something I didn't complain I knew wasn't ready for it. After that it was tier seven only, I managed to get my Fiji and dipped my toes in the waters, and liked it. ever since then I have been preparing my self to push all the just to get slapped in the face.

And tier 7 has always been the "red headed step child" of WG games.

So yes I'm a victim, a victim of WG's greed and the toxicity of it's communities.

Good day.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Tier 10 ranked because people who will move past rank 10 are willing to put up with inifinite amounts of abuse. I imagine if WG charged $1 per game for ranks 10-1, the number of people who would queue up would not change.

• Funny 1

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles
9 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

well to be fair they do have statistics. People who reached rank 10 from previous seasons usually have tier X anyway... If I'm WG executive producer I would risk the 10% bickering instead of hearing 100% bickering about payfast :cap_haloween:

Plus people did pay actual bucks for premium ships. OP or not, it is their right to play it according to EULA and terms. Premium ships being OP is WG's fault, but by locking them out of rank you are punishing the customers.

Punishing customers? They can take their premium everywhere else no?