4 comments in this topic

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles

5ae9cab71ca6c_FFCanada1.jpg.8e56496a2a114c01427dfe07fecdc4c9.jpg

HMS Canada was one of three battleships under construction for foreign powers in Britain in 1914 that were taken over by the Royal Navy. HMS Canada had been ordered as the Almirante Latorre by Chile, one of two battleships ordered in response to the Brazilian battleship Rio de Janeiro, then being built by Armstrongs. The Brazilian ship had been laid down in September 1911, and work on the Almirante Latorre began three months later. While the Brazilian ship had been designed to carry as many big guns as possible (fourteen 12in guns), the Chilean design featured larger guns, carrying ten 14in guns, unique in the RN at the time.

At the start of the WW I the Royal Navy purchased the two ships from Chile. The Almirante Latorre had already been launched, and so was completed as a battleship. Her sister, the Almirante Cochrane, was completed as the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle.

The basic design of the ship was similar to that of contemporary British dreadnoughts, which since the Colossus class of 1909-1911 had carried their guns in five turrets on the centre line, four in superfiring pairs fore and aft and one amidships, although HMS Canada was longer than any of the British designed battleships. The only British battleship of this period to be longer was HMS Agincourt, formerly the Rio de Janeiro, then the Sultan Osman I, also taken over in 1914.

She was commissioned into the Fourth Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet, fighting with that squadron at the battle of Jutland. She took part in the two brief battleship actions, suffering no hits and no casualties. She finished the war with the First Battle Squadron

In 1920 she was returned to Chile. She was modernised at Devonport in 1929-31, where she was given anti-torpedo bulges, modern fire control equipment and converted to burn oil. After Pearl Harbour the United States attempted unsuccessfully to buy her. She was modernised again in 1950, but in the following year suffered accidental damage that ended her career.  

from: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_HMS_Canada.html

HMS Canada was the only battleship in the Grand Fleet in WW I with 14" guns. While the layout was similar to the Orion and Ironduke-class dreadnoughts in WoWs, the former's guns were 13.5 inches (343 mm), while Canada's 14 inch guns (355.6 mm) would likely make her a viable tier V premium alongside the Ironduke.

5ae9cac5afe84_FFCanada2.jpg.3599a6bd3cccdd9538919d491ec5007e.jpg

Taken from my thread on pre-dreadnoughts, battlecruisers and dreadnoughts:

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
6,248 posts
4,207 battles

She would be an excellent candidate for the first South American dreadnought. This would give the South American line a Tier V ship that could win prizes, take tasks on, etc., with the possibility of using her modernised form in order to make her competitive against higher tier ships.

• Cool 1

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 4:41 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She would be an excellent candidate for the first South American dreadnought. This would give the South American line a Tier V ship that could win prizes, take tasks on, etc., with the possibility of using her modernised form in order to make her competitive against higher tier ships.

yes I agree.