You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

First time playing the Graf Spee

26 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,623 battles

Just had an amazing experience with my first game with the Graf Spee. I had a Kraken, my third one ever. Anyone ever get a Kraken playing a ship for the first time? Must be really rare. 

• Cool 4

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
630 posts
1,182 battles

Nice job!

I just bought the ship, too and haven't played it yet. I hope my first game goes as well as yours.

360 posts
194 battles

That's how you know a ship is a good fit! Well done! I only have 2 Krakens total, and neither on a maiden voyage so to me it is a very special achievement.

Members
4,551 posts
6,467 battles
6 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Just had an amazing experience with my first game with the Graf Spee. I had a Kraken, my third one ever. Anyone ever get a Kraken playing a ship for the first time? Must be really rare. 

Nice! I have her.  Did you do the killing mostly with guns or torps?  Just curious. 

Members
1,019 posts
13,047 battles

My first Kraken was in an unmodified, stock, fresh from the shipyard Fuso. I was just taking her out on a shakedown cruise to see what she could do... boy, was I impressed.

[BUNNY]
Members
182 posts
7,803 battles

I got a Kraken my first time out in the Duca. Surprised the hell out of me

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I've gotten maybe a half dozen. It's not really something I aim for, but nice to get nonetheless.

My most memorable? The time I got it on Hood. Until that time, I felt miserable trying to figure the ship out and complained bitterly about her on here. Then one day, something clicked in my brain as I got that Kraken on an over 100k game. Followed by another 100k game with zero kills, lol. Since that day, she's become one of my favorites to play. She still needs a sigma buff, IMO, but otherwise she's quite a grand ol ship.

P.S. Graf Spee is fun ship too. Happy to see another post praising her :)

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[NBKS]
Members
29 posts

i love the graf spee. my only issue with it is i wish it had like a 1k or 1 1/2k extra range on the guns for when your in T8 battles but other then that i love it

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

I won't tell you how many Krakens I've got because I'd like to congratulate you and say some things about the Spee instead of trying to boast.

First of all Graf Spee is a great ship. It's what I'd call a "sleeper" ship. Most players don't have a clue how deadly it is until it's too late. You did well because unlike many your playstyle is perfect for this ship.
You understand it's strengths and weaknesses. This ship is not for everyone. It can't be played like a typical cruiser. It's more a cross between cruiser and battleship.
I think that this ship will get even better for you down the road and you will see Kraken galore down the road.

Enjoy!

• Bad 1

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles
1 minute ago, Aura_Reaver said:

i love the graf spee. my only issue with it is i wish it had like a 1k or 1 1/2k extra range on the guns for when your in T8 battles but other then that i love it

Use all the stealth that you can put on her including CE skill. It can stay undetected while you get into range so you have to play hit and run. I also highly recommend the incoming fire captain skill. 
The best way to land shells on t8 battleships is to play support with your team's BBs. The enemy will be too busy focusing on them while you take deadly cit shots at them. Lots of fun

[HYDRO]
Members
1,571 posts
3,751 battles

/#bragmode on

Not a Kraken but this is my first battle in the Ishi after getting it a few days ago.

shot-18_04.30_01_41.09-0644.thumb.jpg.521f79f9ba34d4830949c023a45d5ca4.jpg

/#bragmode off.

Regarding Graf, dunno, that ship never clicked for me, though I had a good run in it. It's just a ship where offsetting the low DPM by getting big number salvos is paramount to success.

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

Nice ship, but It feels like the larger caliber doesn't make up for it only having 6 guns and bad dispersion. I'm looking forward to playing it more now that I've heard you all have dialed in the right play style for it.

[NBKS]
Members
29 posts
13 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Use all the stealth that you can put on her including CE skill. It can stay undetected while you get into range so you have to play hit and run. I also highly recommend the incoming fire captain skill. 
The best way to land shells on t8 battleships is to play support with your team's BBs. The enemy will be too busy focusing on them while you take deadly cit shots at them. Lots of fun

i have 10 point capt on my graf spee right now. i just want the extra range cuz it would help with survivability when not with the pack

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

Do you have CE?
It's an absolute must for lone wolf hunting.

[NBKS]
Members
29 posts
50 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Do you have CE?
It's an absolute must for lone wolf hunting.

not yet but thats my next skill. i did ambush a NC from a island in my spee that was fun. never new what hit him till i shot him at 4k right in his side and hit him with torps.

Edited by Aura_Reaver

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

Aura_Reaver When they start firing back hit the breaks (reverse) slow right down while pointing your nose to them. I found enemy has very hard time hitting me. Then speed up go stealth  fire again, wait till they start shooting and repeat. My best battles with this strategy.

CE is the most important skill for Spee. You should consider get it fast or redistribute your skills to get it. Good luck  keep having fun

Edited by STINKWEED_

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,694 battles

Nice work!

My first battle in Vampire was a Kraken.

[B2P]
Members
514 posts
13,642 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Had a Kraken +1 game in my first battle with a stock Amagi, with the final kill being the deciding factor for the win.  One of my best games.  Have had many other great games in Amagi, until I put commander Yamamoto at the helm.  Have yet to get a first blood or Kraken since then.  Thinking my Yamamoto may be cursed! :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_sceptic:

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles
4 hours ago, Praxz said:

Nice ship, but It feels like the larger caliber doesn't make up for it only having 6 guns and bad dispersion. I'm looking forward to playing it more now that I've heard you all have dialed in the right play style for it.

That's what I thought until I quickly realized how accurate those guns were. I ignore what they say about dispersion as I found that I always hit my mark with at least one shell and it often resulted in a Cit. 
It's really a nice ship and when played right ships targeting you often miss plus the you get repair modules like the BBs have

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles

It's a big bully in same tier matches and still can greatly influence the game when meeting T8s.

Italian cruisers will have 11 inchers, together with Italian flavor extra pen APs, the day they come out, meta will be changed forever.

post related:

Graf Spee is gimmik done right.

Edited by NeutralState

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

/#bragmode on

Not a Kraken but this is my first battle in the Ishi after getting it a few days ago.

shot-18_04.30_01_41.09-0644.thumb.jpg.521f79f9ba34d4830949c023a45d5ca4.jpg

/#bragmode off.

Regarding Graf, dunno, that ship never clicked for me, though I had a good run in it. It's just a ship where offsetting the low DPM by getting big number salvos is paramount to success.

Yeah that ship is a monster. I love my Ishi. Angle it right and you can bounce wyoming shells. Most people don't know how to fight one. Don't see them much.

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

Takes me a bit of time to figure out a ship so no chance at Kraken first timeout but my first battle in the buffed Prinz Eugen got me double strike with torps.  :)  My 8th battle in the ship - hated it before the buff.

World of Warships - Prinz 65930.PNG

[FML]
Members
1,760 posts
10,132 battles
10 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

My first Kraken was in an unmodified, stock, fresh from the shipyard Fuso. I was just taking her out on a shakedown cruise to see what she could do... boy, was I impressed.

Interesting. My early experience with the Fuso was awful - much preferred the roaming battlecruiser style of the Kongo. 

After declaring the Fuso as garbage, I then read up on how to play it, got a bit closer to the action and spent a lot more time making sure I timed my broadside turn better, and found that the Fuso was actually good. So damn you for working that out immediately :-p

Kept her.

Went full circle. 

[ICE9]
Members
830 posts

I have a lot of fun with Graf Spee by bucking the standard long-range sniping doctrine and using a mutant secondary armaments build. Rudder shift, along with BFT and AFT pumping up the nice 150mm secondaries. Makes a pretty fair brawler. Oh, and don't forget the speed signal.