Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SaltyMoonshine

Is the Admiral Hipper cursed or something?

14 comments in this topic

Members
10 posts
1,315 battles

Hello all, 

I dunno if I just need to vent, but I've been enjoying the German cruiser line...until the Admiral Hipper. 

I had a 60% win rate in the Yorck, and I did alright in it (all teal rating at wows numbers). No unicum player, but a decent one; support fire ship, hang in the back and spam HE. Got it. 

Then I unlock the Admiral Hipper, and it's like I've been voodoo cursed or something.

Loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss. I'm getting teamed with an endless cavalcade of donut-punchers who do nothing but lemming-conga-line their way to a single cap and get smashed one by one by a Red Team that laughs all the way to the bank.

Just pure, unadulterated dreadful games. It is one of my absolute worst ships with terrible win rates, damage and in-the-toilet personal rating. 

To compare the experience of going from the Yorck to the Hipper, it's like going from an enjoyable full-body massage to having some angry midget run up and slug you in the nuts. 

One player (unless they're a super-unicum CV player) can't carry a match, and I've got good games and crap games, but I'm 15 games in with this wretched, cursed ship and I feel like just giving up right now if the rest of the games are going to be this putrid. 

Like I said, maybe I just need to vent and get it off my chest and perhaps it's just been one awful afternoon of gaming. But is there something I'm missing here? Has the Ranked just centrifuged a heap of [edited] into Randoms so the chance of getting a team of brain-dead chimps has sky-rocketed? Or is this just one of those terrible runs that need to be swallowed in the hope of greener pastures in the future? 

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,407 posts
9,562 battles

You're doing GREAT in the Tiaho.

Welcome to the Tier 8 Paywall thanks to MM.

I'll bet you are seeing a lot of T10 ships.  To a Yamato of Montana, you are a one-salvo-speed-bump.

Also bet you dread seeing a Tiaho as well...

There are bad days.  Step away from the keyboard and mow the lawn or something.

Members
1,542 posts
8,187 battles

Hey

Salty; the Hipper and Prinz Eugen are both decent but not outstanding ships; they are more like good support ships but have limited carry ability of their own.  I usually use HE at longer ranges and when I get close I switch to it's AP which can be devastating on broadside targets, especially cruisers, the HE can handle DD's if you have hydro.  Seems to me the biggest problem is not so much of the ship (although you are still learning it's attributes) but as you said: "Loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss. I'm getting teamed with an endless cavalcade of donut-punchers who do nothing but lemming-conga-line their way to a single cap and get smashed one by one by a Red Team that laughs all the way to the bank."  The general game play these days is so many people seem like they have little concept of what the game is about, how to work as a team, and how to support one another to benefit the group.  Random is just that; random luck as to who will play the objective and it's tough for one person to carry a game.  I have a standing joke that 90% of my games over 100K are losses and it's still holding true.   Let us know what upgrades you have selected and Captain skills you have.  I will post what I have on mine, they are like 13pts on each.

Pete   

[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles

Hipper/Prinz are decent ships, but have a bit of a curve to them.

They're both the tankiest cruisers of tier 8, with enough armour to bounce 15" shells, but the guns are the lowest DPM of the tier 8 cruisers.

They're usually best played at medium ranges lobbing HE, though if you have a broadside AP is your go-to.

Don't rely on your torpedoes, at high tier ranges are so bloated that 6km is only good for jumping someone from around the corner,

If you see any battleship with 15" guns you can bounce their shells, if you use autobounce right, the only part of the ship they can damage on your ship will be your superstructure.

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,103 battles

I dunno, the ship literally just got buffed last update.  She seemed fine before, just underwhelming, now she's pretty good.

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Ranked play will get you through much of the grind if you lean in to it.  Your opponent pool is limited to Tier VIII ships, which ought to be a tremendous relief since most of the discomfort of the Hipper/Eugen is their propensity of seeing Tier X opponents on a regular basis.

Granted, I haven't played much recently but over last weekend I moved from Rank 22 to 15 with two losses in the Eugen.  Both times I was top of the losing leader board by a fair margin and I'm pretty regularly up there anyway.  The shapely German sisters get a big thumbs up from me these days.

-R

• Cool 1

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,268 battles

My Hipper and Prinz sway at anchor for about a year now.  Pretty ships and will keep but have Hindenburg now.  They are fun when tier limited to 8.

Members
1,542 posts
8,187 battles

Hey

For my Hipper I run the following:  MAM1, DCM1, ASM1, SGM1, Concealment     Capt: PT, PM, DFA, AR, DE, CE

For my P.E. I run the following:  MAM1, DCM1, ASM1, SGM2, SGM3     Capt:  PT, AR, SI, DE, CE

I'm happy with both setups and have a slightly different playstyle.

Pete

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,738 battles
On 5/2/2018 at 8:56 AM, AVR_Project said:

You're doing GREAT in the Tiaho.

Welcome to the Tier 8 Paywall thanks to MM.

I'll bet you are seeing a lot of T10 ships.  To a Yamato of Montana, you are a one-salvo-speed-bump.

Also bet you dread seeing a Tiaho as well...

There are bad days.  Step away from the keyboard and mow the lawn or something.

So true! When ships like the Hipper and New Orleans are top tier they do fine but that's less than 50% of the time. I'd say I'm up tiered with Tier 9 & 10 ships 65-70% of the time.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

I feel like they're slightly overtiered, that they should be Tier 7s. Their firepower doesn't really cut it at Tier 8 where MM will regularly put them up against Tier 10s. They need an HE buff as well. Overall they're Tier 7s.

Members
10 posts
1,315 battles

Thanks all for the replies. I took them on board when I had a day off recently. The gf was out of town so I bought a pizza, some jack daniels and had a day-long gaming binge, and finally unlocked the Roon!

In the end I ended up getting a 51% win rate and close to 50k average damage per match. No doubt Tier 8 is a feast-or-famine tier, as sometimes I'd have these great games and other times they'd be stinkers. The Hipper herself is a decent ship, but ending up bottom tier so many times and being cursed to end up in a bag of potatoes so many times, and I really had to bite the pillow while grinding the ship. 

But now I got the Roon, and even not yet having the cash to upgrade the range/Hull B, I'm having better games!

Good luck all and fair seas.

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,738 battles
On 5/2/2018 at 8:40 AM, SaltyMoonshine said:

Hello all, 

I dunno if I just need to vent, but I've been enjoying the German cruiser line...until the Admiral Hipper. 

I had a 60% win rate in the Yorck, and I did alright in it (all teal rating at wows numbers). No unicum player, but a decent one; support fire ship, hang in the back and spam HE. Got it. 

Then I unlock the Admiral Hipper, and it's like I've been voodoo cursed or something.

Loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss after loss. I'm getting teamed with an endless cavalcade of donut-punchers who do nothing but lemming-conga-line their way to a single cap and get smashed one by one by a Red Team that laughs all the way to the bank.

Just pure, unadulterated dreadful games. It is one of my absolute worst ships with terrible win rates, damage and in-the-toilet personal rating. 

To compare the experience of going from the Yorck to the Hipper, it's like going from an enjoyable full-body massage to having some angry midget run up and slug you in the nuts. 

One player (unless they're a super-unicum CV player) can't carry a match, and I've got good games and crap games, but I'm 15 games in with this wretched, cursed ship and I feel like just giving up right now if the rest of the games are going to be this putrid. 

Like I said, maybe I just need to vent and get it off my chest and perhaps it's just been one awful afternoon of gaming. But is there something I'm missing here? Has the Ranked just centrifuged a heap of [edited] into Randoms so the chance of getting a team of brain-dead chimps has sky-rocketed? Or is this just one of those terrible runs that need to be swallowed in the hope of greener pastures in the future? 

The Hipper's only curse is due to the matchmaking where you are playing against Tier 9 & 10 most of the time. When she is top tier she's a fine Tier 8 cruiser. I'm grinding her slowly as my ultimate goal is the Hindenburg which I loved playing in clan battles. I may use some free XP to reduce my time spent with the Roon when I unlock her. 

Members
10 posts
1,315 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, dust340man said:

The Hipper's only curse is due to the matchmaking where you are playing against Tier 9 & 10 most of the time. When she is top tier she's a fine Tier 8 cruiser. I'm grinding her slowly as my ultimate goal is the Hindenburg which I loved playing in clan battles. I may use some free XP to reduce my time spent with the Roon when I unlock her. 

Yeah, no kidding. 

It seems that my curse has remained with me however. Just unlocked the Hindenburg. Beautiful and effective ship. Started off great with a 60% win rate! But of course 9 losses in a row and down to 30%. Because of course.

Members
25 posts
2,128 battles

I'm on the long Hipper ride atm, so I'm curious how the Roon feels to you so far.  Hoping it's much better. Thanks for posting.

Sign in to follow this