You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Think before you pour salt on a player in Co-op

76 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

Today in a T5 battle in co-op, one of my teammates started pouring salt on another teammate who was driving a BB.  The BB never responded, but the guy kept telling the BB he was worthless and to get engaged in the battle.  I had already been deleted, and when I finally heard enough I told the guy that the BB was a slow Texas but it would appear to me that the Texas was about to be engaged and that he should  lighten up on a teammate.  I was told it did not matter since the Texas had taken such a long route to finally make himself useful.  The salt kept pouring on the Texas who never responded.  The battle ended with a win for our team.

I looked up the guy (I wish I could name him publicly) who was so critical of a teammate and was surprised to see he is an old veteran with several years of experience on ships including T10s.  Why he was down in T5 co-op is anybody's guess which makes it more surprising that he got so heated about the play of one BB.

The Texas?  I looked him up too.  The guy is brand new to the game with less than 50 battles played, all in co-op except two.  How must he feel about playing the game now?  He did nothing wrong,  simply played the game the way he thought it should be played.

The point is that sometimes constructive words of advice are much better than harsh criticism of someone's play.  Especially down in co-op where a lot of people spend most of their time when they are noobs.   I wonder how many people get run off the game due to what gets said in chat.

As a sidenote, I lost a Karma point today.  I wonder who it was.  LOL!

• Cool 17

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

coop?   salt in coop?  really?     not trolling?  :cap_fainting:

• Bad 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Was the salty guy pink

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,280 posts
25,314 battles

Doesn't surprise me.

Every time I've looked up the stats of a player who has been extremely toxic in chat, he/she is a Random player and not a co-op main.

This is what I do.  I send a private message to the player who was the target of the abuse and tell him/her that the person who was abusive is a typical Random player who was acting like a dumb @sshat and that he/she should just ignore what was said and don't let it affect him/her.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Members
470 posts
12,442 battles

The veteran player was probably down in tier 5 co-op to finish up a weekly mission. The missions for this week are both doable in co-op at tier 5 and higher. The missions include wins and placing higher on the team standings and that is much easier to do consistently in co-op.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,600 posts
18,201 battles

Berating a player in co-op is just unconscionable. Considering many PvP players think it is for training or the kiddie pool, they should just leave folks alone there no matter what they are doing. It is little wonder that the growth of WoWS is at a snails pace with such toxic morons peeing all over everything. Personally I like it when someone is slow to battle, it means more damage for me to farm. I guess the PvP player wasn't good enough to carry in the kiddie pool.

Joe you did the right thing even though you lost some karma for it. I hope you reported the vermin for misbehavior in chat. It is a shame that we can not post the names of such toxic players here or on Reddit. Making a public list of people that require blacklisting due to misbehavior would be a good thing. Reporting to their clan leader (assuming a clan member) for a reprimand or disallowing such people from joining a clan would be a way to discourage that kind of mess..

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,440 battles

and people didn't believe me when I said coop was toxic :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

It will only get worse once orange people start to show up in it

• Cool 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Co-op rage, wow. Now I've heard about HALF of it all. Conservatively estimated. I don't even rage at the stupid BOTS in chat with Co-op matches, I just laugh maniacally at my own antics and give verbal high-fives for good plays.

[PVE]
Members
1,603 posts
6,757 battles

What makes me laugh is how those PVP elite that are always harping about how co-op is so easy, a cake walk and kiddy mode etc etc, then they show up in co-op only to rant and rage and take it all way to serious. Suddenly its no longer easy or kiddy mode.

When someone rages, I find that the best thing to do is not to respond, just go deaf, dumb and blind and ignore the rager....the more they go on about things the more of a jerk they appear to everyone else.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,142 posts
6,015 battles
39 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Doesn't surprise me.

Every time I've looked up the stats of a player who has been extremely toxic in chat, he/she is a Random player and not a co-op main.

This is what I do.  I send a private message to the player who was the target of the abuse and tell him/her that the person who was abusive is a typical Random player who was acting like a dumb @sshat and that he/she should just ignore what was said and don't let it affect him/her.

WrYGNo8.gif.2d0277e60b0e2a47e62000f67354fbfc.gif

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
49 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

I send a private message to the player who was the target of the abuse

I should most likely do this more often, but i have in some particular cases. Although i dont usually bother stat checking.

Kudos to you!

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts

Yes, the person in question was a sphincter based life form. They are remarkably adaptable and tenacious organisms, capable of surviving in nearly any environment.

On a related note, we do now live in the age of the literal minded. I played a co-op match where our own cv bot got one kill in the match, me. Having nothing else to do, what with being dead and all, I composed a scathing condemnation of the bot, the bot's mother, whose slots I said had seen more action than a thirty year old toaster, and suggested that the offending bot go take up a more productive pastime of Hello Kitty Island Adventures.  The sad thing is another player chimed in to say that the bots are only following programming and it doesn't do any god to get upset about it.

• Funny 4

[PVE]
Members
5,600 posts
18,201 battles
46 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I have over 11k games in Co-op and I have never found this to be the rule. There can be toxic players in PvE but it is rare especially compared to PvP play. IMHO there are two reasons for this, one is co-op is pretty sedate and low stress. Games are over so quickly that there really isn't much time to be a butthead. The other big reason is just the sheer number of other human players in PvP. You got 23 other humans in a match, someone is bound to get their panties in a wad and blow off some steam. In PvE you have like 6 other humans (usually, sometimes less) so it is just less likely another player will be grumpy. I actually find more people complain about their own gameplay in PvE than they do about someone else's playing. A few players will rage against the bots but again, not against other players as a rule. I don't find any of these things to be especially toxic, just people venting and see no harm in it.

[USCC2]
Members
3,561 posts
10 hours ago, NeutralState said:

WHO IN THE f**KING F**K RAGES IN COOP?

Random Players who are thrown in there....d'uh! :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 3

[5HF]
Members
29 posts
3,703 battles
2 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Today in a T5 battle in co-op, one of my teammates started pouring salt on another teammate who was driving a BB.  The BB never responded, but the guy kept telling the BB he was worthless and to get engaged in the battle.  I had already been deleted, and when I finally heard enough I told the guy that the BB was a slow Texas but it would appear to me that the Texas was about to be engaged and that he should  lighten up on a teammate.  I was told it did not matter since the Texas had taken such a long route to finally make himself useful.  The salt kept pouring on the Texas who never responded.  The battle ended with a win for our team.

I looked up the guy (I wish I could name him publicly) who was so critical of a teammate and was surprised to see he is an old veteran with several years of experience on ships including T10s.  Why he was down in T5 co-op is anybody's guess which makes it more surprising that he got so heated about the play of one BB.

The Texas?  I looked him up too.  The guy is brand new to the game with less than 50 battles played, all in co-op except two.  How must he feel about playing the game now?  He did nothing wrong,  simply played the game the way he thought it should be played.

The point is that sometimes constructive words of advice are much better than harsh criticism of someone's play.  Especially down in co-op where a lot of people spend most of their time when they are noobs.   I wonder how many people get run off the game due to what gets said in chat.

As a sidenote, I lost a Karma point today.  I wonder who it was.  LOL!

Yup.Been there. Gotta watch that myself at times, HOWEVER...

After about 8 consecutive  losses to CV's, I kinda blew up a bit at the Zoomies..and I still think the general  tactical use of them here is misguided.

That being said, A bit of praise for those who came through can offset a lot of it, though. All things considered, it may have just been an off day for the  experienced player...we all have them on occasion.

[NOBS]
Members
530 posts
5,877 battles

As a new player, all the chats are toxic! 

Examples:

I was reported because my T5 got uptiered to T7, not my fault, but the comments in chat were all about reporting me!

With 3 boats left, 1 guy explained how it was our fault he was dead! He was the first one to die, the team won. 

The total lack of leadership, "everyone go to C" I go to C, everyone else goes to A, it's my fault for listening. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

As a new player, all the chats are toxic! 

Examples:

I was reported because my T5 got uptiered to T7, not my fault, but the comments in chat were all about reporting me!

With 3 boats left, 1 guy explained how it was our fault he was dead! He was the first one to die, the team won. 

The total lack of leadership, "everyone go to C" I go to C, everyone else goes to A, it's my fault for listening. 

Yech, MM seems to be giving you a tour of the Warships Salt Mines then. Yeah, we've all seen those guys (well, not the "uptiering" ones, those guys are just stupid and must not realize how MM works), that's what the good ol' "ignore" button is for. And "report" if they get too out of hand.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Its really easy honestly.

Are you ticked off? Really salty? Having a shite day? Shut up, and dont say anything at all in chat. Keep to yourself. Simple.

I ALWAYS try to give helpful advice to players who seem to be new, and ALWAYS say "nice shot!" or "nice torps!" or similar to players who get a kill, or hit a ship and do a good amount of damage.

Just the other day for example, was playing operation killer whale. Our CV saved my rear end by completely obliterating a Konig with a single torp drop quickly followed up by a DB drop that took almost all the BB's hp in a very short time. The flooding and fires ended up taking the BB out completely. I looked up the guy after the battle... turns out he was still relatively new to CVs. That was his first battle in the Independence, with only about 15 total CV battles, all of which were in co-op. He also only had about 150 battles total in all modes.

Letting a player know they did a good job, whether it be a good shot, a smart turn to dodge torps, a nice TB drop, ect, will boost their moral and make them want to keep playing. It also tells them that what they did, is usually a good thing to keep doing. It tells "hey, this thing you did? Keep doing it!"

• Cool 1

[CELTS]
Members
80 posts
7,838 battles

First off, I openly admit to getting a tad salty even in co-op play occasionally.   It never starts with me blatantly name calling. 

Things that I do that trigger salt?  Ask questions, yep that's right, ask a question.

1. Hey DD, why are you reversing at start?   salt response - I respond with equal or higher amounts of salt.

2. Hey BB, why are you sailing around edge of map, outside of any caps?  more salt responses - I respond again.

3. Cruiser gets deleted by bots and whines.  Ask him why he showed his full broadside to 5 bots all aiming at him from 10k away?  Salt, and more salt

Now, I will agree that my questions are stated in a way to make them know their decision making process is flawed and needs fixing, but that isn't any reason to go all unhinged at me! :cap_haloween:

Luckily I have 349 karma, so I have a few to spare. :cap_tea:

I also offer good advice for those that respond to my questions with no-salt-included answers.  :)

Edited by Murbid

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,243 battles
8 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I have had occasion to yell at people in chat in urgent moments to tell them for God's sake get inside the cap. And follow with "See the pretty red circle on the map? GET INSIDE IT!!" But that was at the end of a battle, with everyone in motion and none of that motion in a particularly useful direction.

I can understand that some BBs are slow to get started - they want to see which way the battle is evolving before committing to one side or another (particularly if they're in a slowpoke ship like the low-tier Americans and if the captain is inexperienced) - and I'll forgive almost any inactivity in co-op except for pure AFK. (If they go AWOL in the middle of the battle for some reason I actually don't care; the only ones that really aggravate me are the ones that start inactive and stay that way, and whose turret alignment isn't compatible with disconnection.) This is just... wow.

[PVE]
Members
5,600 posts
18,201 battles
6 minutes ago, Murbid said:

First off, I openly admit to getting a tad salty even in co-op play occasionally.   It never starts with me blatantly name calling. 

Things that I do that trigger salt?  Ask questions, yep that's right, ask a question.

I think that the nature of the internet, text chat in particular, causes some problems. When we talk to people face to face, there are many non verbal cues we utilize to convey meaning and these are lost in text chat. Then there is the inflection or tone of your statement. For instance if I asked you "What are you doing?" in person, you could figure out that it is a genuine question or could hear the disgust/anger/annoyance in my voice. Again you lose that with text chat. Some people could infer that you are being nasty by asking them a simple question, one that has no malice behind it and so the salt will flow or people will get defensive. With online gaming there is always the assumption of nastiness IMHO. Once I told a teammate "Nice torps" because he landed like four of them on a red and he somehow thought I was being a smart aleck and went off. I have learned now to add "well done" to those kind of comments to let them know I am being sincere.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

I complain more about my own play in the chat than everybody else’s play, I remember a day where I was really salty in chat, complaining about my own awful positioning.

[DFNT]
Members
73 posts
2,404 battles

I had a co-op teammate start getting mildly salty at a CV player. This CV was a bot. I say mildly salty because he was mixing in a little advice and clearly didn't realize he was talking at a bot. I looked out the window, it wasn't even a full moon. 

• Funny 1