You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

The Tier 8 Ranked team comp meta?

23 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles

I haven't played a lot of tier 8 ranked battles thus far, mostly because I'm having difficulty getting up for it.  

Regardless, I've noticed that there seems to be more cruisers in T8 RkB's thus far.  The team comps seem a lot more varied than last season, at least from what I've seen.  I've seen a team with 1 BB, 2 CA, 4 DD and one with 1 CV, 4 BB, 1 CA, 1 DD, and some variations in between.  It's actually nice to see some variety.

Anyways, do you guys think that what I've seen is reflects what you've seen?  Or is this just small sample size.

But if there's been a change in the team comp meta, why do you think it's happened?

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,656 battles

I've noticed it too. I've stuck to BBs and DDs as cruisers are my weakest class, especially in tier 8 and tier 10, but aside from a near-total lack of CVs (which is not surprising) there's been a lot of variation in team composition. 

[WAG]
Beta Testers
679 posts
5,547 battles

i got up from rank 19 to 10 using mostly cruisers so it just may be my bias showing, but i believe this is because the majority of the 'marginally' op ships at this teir are all cruisers. (with the exception of Lo yang)

ex - Atago (almost all my wins are because i was using this ship), Krutzov (smoke + rapid fire long range guns), Eugen (buffed with heal, strong secondary's, German hydro, planes spot ships easily over terrain, good health pool, good armor).

as well as the most teamplay oriented ships are also cruisers at this teir, which if you can get them to work, and a team who calls out when they are ready to fire, can be a very important deciding factor in many games.

ex - New Orleans, chapy.

the t8 pan asian DD can equip radar as well, but i have yet to see a single one, probably because its such short duration + short range, and that i t only has 4 guns max.

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
16 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

i got up from rank 19 to 10 using mostly cruisers so it just may be my bias showing, but i believe this is because the majority of the 'marginally' op ships at this teir are all cruisers. (with the exception of Lo yang)

ex - Atago (almost all my wins are because i was using this ship), Krutzov (smoke + rapid fire long range guns), Eugen (buffed with heal, strong secondary's, German hydro, planes spot ships easily over terrain, good health pool, good armor).

as well as the most teamplay oriented ships are also cruisers at this teir, which if you can get them to work, and a team who calls out when they are ready to fire, can be a very important deciding factor in many games.

ex - New Orleans, chapy.

the t8 pan asian DD can equip radar as well, but i have yet to see a single one, probably because its such short duration + short range, and that i t only has 4 guns max.

GX9900A, I've gotten wins in the Atago, Eugen, and Kutuzov tonight, and I found the Atago the more difficult to use.  To be fair, it was a battle with 4 DDs per team, and the circumstances of the battle had me out of position to engage the heavier targets most of the time, where I'd have gotten my damage.  I may give her another try tomorrow, but I have to say that for me, the Eugen and Kutuzov felt easier to use with the team.  The Kut because it's more of a CL and had much higher ROF guns which are great for DD killing.  And the PE because it really is rather good all around, and has a lot of torps for brawling.  I blew away a Kii in a brawl in one battle, which was fun, though it was a loss (a no star lost- loss, I might add).

I am more of a DD player.  But with all of the DDs in game, I feel like I can contribute more playing a cruiser, and thus far, I have carried my weight and more.

[SIDE]
Beta Testers
111 posts

I've seen the complete opposite so to speak. The team setups seem to be different depending on which ship I choose to take into the ranked battle.

If I play a BB the teams are usually one of two team setups.  It will either be 3 BBs and 4 DDs per side or, 1 CV, 1 BB, 1 CA and 4 DDs. 

Now if I run a CA it's usually 4 BBs, 2 CAs and 1 DD or, 3 BBs, 3 CAs and 1 DD. 

If I run a DD the teams are usually 1 CV, 1 BB, 3 CAs and 2 DDs.

I haven't seen as many radar equipped ships as I had expected.  Though the majority of ships I see have hydro.

The most common observation is, a lot of premium ships in battle.

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
6 minutes ago, Zeuxis said:

The most common observation is, a lot of premium ships in battle.

I usually attribute this to one of 2 things.

1. Less experienced players whose only tier 8 happens to be a premium.

or

2. Very experienced players who like being able to move highly skilled captains into premiums so that they can avoid paying to do so.  After all, why would someone pay to put a 19 point Montana captain in a North Carolina when they could put him into an Alabama at no charge?

• Cool 2

[WAG]
Beta Testers
679 posts
5,547 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

GX9900A, I've gotten wins in the Atago, Eugen, and Kutuzov tonight, and I found the Atago the more difficult to use.  To be fair, it was a battle with 4 DDs per team, and the circumstances of the battle had me out of position to engage the heavier targets most of the time, where I'd have gotten my damage.  I may give her another try tomorrow, but I have to say that for me, the Eugen and Kutuzov felt easier to use with the team.  The Kut because it's more of a CL and had much higher ROF guns which are great for DD killing.  And the PE because it really is rather good all around, and has a lot of torps for brawling.  I blew away a Kii in a brawl in one battle, which was fun, though it was a loss (a no star lost- loss, I might add).

I am more of a DD player.  But with all of the DDs in game, I feel like I can contribute more playing a cruiser, and thus far, I have carried my weight and more.

for atago, i play her as a harassing kiting ship, after the initial skirmish at a cap. her 5-7k alpha strike on dds at close range can be deadly, and her double planes can be effectively a early cheap radar. her armor is 'good enough' when kiting to harass battleships at 14-15km, especially with her 14% fire chance. her 37.5 knot speed combined with 9.1 km det, makes her very easy to reposition if things are going bad in one area.

my setup for atago was (17/18 pts used)  1Point =PT+DCCA,  2 point = EM + AR 3 point = superintendant 4 point IFHE + CE

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,254 battles

I saw a wide variety of compositions on the way to R10.

Several matches with 0 DD, one match with 5 DD per side which was crazy.

Very few with CV, several 4 BB matches.

I liked the variety and found the road to R10 was actually quite fun.

So far R10 onward feels quite different, feels like at this point team coordination is  the difference maker rather than individual performances that can carry in the previous bracket.  The T10 ships really are able to punish if coordinated.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,972 battles

I got tired of having to try and carry most of my teams last ranked season. It felt too much like work and was no longer fun so I gave up trying.

I'm just not going to bother this time...

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,554 battles

I've mostly just seen the average BB/DD heavy matchs with maybe 1 CA. First CV I've seen was today.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I haven't played a lot of tier 8 ranked battles thus far, mostly because I'm having difficulty getting up for it.  

Regardless, I've noticed that there seems to be more cruisers in T8 RkB's thus far.  The team comps seem a lot more varied than last season, at least from what I've seen.  I've seen a team with 1 BB, 2 CA, 4 DD and one with 1 CV, 4 BB, 1 CA, 1 DD, and some variations in between.  It's actually nice to see some variety.

Anyways, do you guys think that what I've seen is reflects what you've seen?  Or is this just small sample size.

But if there's been a change in the team comp meta, why do you think it's happened?

Most of my battles were still cruiser light- most 4BB 1CA 2DD. A few exceptions of course but still BB heavy. 

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

It's been a wide range tbh. From 4 BB's to 4 DD's, though I have yet to see 4 CA's/CL's (have seen 3).

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
3 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

Most of my battles were still cruiser light- most 4BB 1CA 2DD. A few exceptions of course but still BB heavy. 

Just had one of those just now.  I was in my Harekaze, and we won, and I ended up nearly 600 base XP above the #2 on the team.  Of course, that was probably because I nuked the enemy Harekaze (2 torp hits) with some blind preemptive torps into C cap on Neighbors, then got 2 solo caps and 4 more torp hits on BBs.  The Harekaze B hull seems like a very good DD for Ranked.

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
5 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

It's been a wide range tbh. From 4 BB's to 4 DD's, though I have yet to see 4 CA's/CL's (have seen 3).

Overall, I'd say that it's nice to see a little more variety than last season.

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,832 battles

Take the radar Edinburgh! though to be honest to get to rank 10, the smoke one is fine.

There are actually more cruisers at ranks 10-5 currently, even had a game last night of 4 cruisers and 3 DDs per side. No BBs!

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Where I have seen a distinct difference is in the Tier X ranked games... more cruisers- in fact had 1 game with no battleships at all. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
13 hours ago, Crucis said:

My  experience has been a BB heavy meta with a slightly smaller DD meta to compensate. 

Most games consist of 1-2 CA/CL , 2-3 BB's with 2-3 DD's

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
10 hours ago, _greifer said:

Take the radar Edinburgh! though to be honest to get to rank 10, the smoke one is fine.

LOL I drive a smoke Edinburgh and I know I wouldn't last five minutes in Ranked without it. Well, maybe I could, but I'd be doing an awful lot of hiding and skulking and not much in the way of shooting. I currently rate high enough on the blappability scale as it is; pushing myself up higher is not going to make me a valuable team-mate. :Smile_teethhappy:

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,725 posts
7,698 battles

I got to rank 10 in the Chappy didnt notice many CA heavy matches. Maybe one match I played with 3 CAs on each team. However I expect at tier 10 you will see more cruisers because there are cruisers that have much more carry potential and the ability to even bounce some BB shells.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

my limited experience differs. Most of my +10 ranked matches seemed to have a 3/1/3 composition (DD/CA/BB). I saw only 2 matches with a CV, and it was the same player).

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,657 battles

I saw more cruisers at T8 (though I didn't play many games at that tier due to seeding from last season), and I definitely see a lot of cruisers at T10. It's probably because of the quality of the ships at those tiers and the influence of Clan Battles getting many more players to learn cruiser play.

[SF-3]
Members
1,531 posts
8,114 battles

I agree w/ op, at least in the R15 - 10 bracket, lots of CL/CA and DD's, much less BB's, in fact, so many less BB's I thought about giving the amagi a go, but made it to R10 before I had to.