anonym_NOjtWrZkMN2o

My opinion on the commander ability of "Air Superiority."

Is the commander ability "air superiority" broken, and should the devs get rid of it?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is it broken?

• Yes!
    • No.
  2. 2. Should the devs get rid of it?

• Yes!
    • No.

7 comments in this topic

Members
1 post

So the ability of "Air Superiority" is very simple, what it does is adds one  plane to all of the carriers squadrons of fighters, and dive-bombers. It sounds like a minimal advantage to those that play ships other than the carriers. Granted, in my opinion the dive-bombers advantage is usually pretty minimal, but when it comes to fighters, that one extra fighter in the group can, and often does mean the difference between an enjoyable, and playable round for a carrier. For example one game that I had recently played, I was playing the ranger, and my Japanese counterpart , the Hiryu, was my enemy, and  I thought that I would have a good chance at defeating him, but when I saw that he had 5 fighters in a squadron instead of the balanced, and usual 4, I knew that unless my enemy was completely careless I was sure to loose. This is Because the Rangers one advantage over the Hiryu is that they have higher tier fighters, and can engage into dogfights without too much risk of loosing all of their planes, but when any of the enemy carriers have that ability, the games careful balancing is thrown completely out of whack. So in conclusion, the person with the ability "air superiority" truly has air superiority without even shooting down a single enemy plane.

• Boring 1

[-THOR]
Members
588 posts
3,241 battles

Then strafe them instead of just sending them into a normal dogfight

[RKLES]
Members
7,201 posts
8,971 battles

Even a 10 point Captain can use the AS skill if you want it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,621 posts
9,014 battles
9 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Then strafe them instead of just sending them into a normal dogfight

Strafe is the really unbalanced ability.

[RLGN]
Members
8,249 posts
17,264 battles

Air Supriority is not the sure win skill the OP seems to think it is in Randoms. It can help, but if your team is potato heavy, it just delays an inevitabile end.

Love the heck out of it in Co-op though, because there, along with not being stupid, it pretty much assures you’ll defeat the bot CV, then after that it’s just mopping up, (or fighting like heck at Solo Warrior odds because your team derped...)

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles

I don't think that it's a fair ability because it favors carriers with smaller but more numerous squadrons over larger but less numerous squadrons.  That is, a Hiryu gets more of a benefit out of AS with its two 4-plane fighter squadrons than a Ranger does with its single 6 plane fighter squadrons.

I think that a fairer "Air Superiority" skill would be one where fighters gained a certain percentage increase in their DPS (say, something like +10% or +20% to DPS), but the number of planes remained unchanged.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
741 posts
3,836 battles

I wish they would remove CV's to CO-OP only or a totally different game mode and out of randoms. At least, that is my opinion.