You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

69 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,990 posts
7,530 battles

I've run Ranked each day so far this season, this is day 5. During this, I've run 35 rounds, I'm 20-15, and I've made it to Ranks 12 and 11 for the first time ever. The following are some thoughts as to the season so far:

Lo Yang is absurdly OP if played correctly, not just good, or strong, OP. Of course, this is only the case if she's built right. For mine, I took PT, LS, CE, SI, TAE, and SE. It's the last skill, combined with the ship's DPM and hydro that makes her so OP, this season, at least. For modules, I'm using MAM1, PM1, ASM1, PM2, and CM1. I tried running RPF, and while I certainly knew where folks were, I realized I already knew that from experience, plus, I lost every game I used it in. I went back and decided to take SE instead. Whammo. Lo Yang against multiple DD's in a knife fight has gone vastly my way, including one round where I hunted down all 4 red DD's, Kagero, Z-23, and 2 Bensons. I'm easily outfighting any DD I see, unless the player is also in a Lo Yang and is simply superior to me. That happened one time. Almost all my deaths in a DD have come at the hands of radar and KM hydro cruisers.

Certain days of the week, and certain times of day, are far better for playing than others. Friday and Saturday were a 5-10 horrorshow to get from 18 to 17, Sunday night, Monday during the afternoon, and today during the afternoon I went 15-5 and went from 17 to 11. Casual players, and inexperienced players, getting off work or home from school massively dilute the skill of the teams, making it much, much harder to communicate, and to carry. During those not so good times and days, I went a total of 5-11, and 15-4 during the good times.

The meta, for me, has been very BB and DD heavy, and cruiser play has been sporadic at best. There havent been a lot of middle of the road cruiser players in  my rounds, they've either been really good, or a  huge liability. Radar has been skewed against my teams, the times radar has been present, my team has had the advantage 2 times, and there have been 12 battles where the reds had at least 2 radar ships to our none, more, my teams didn't have radar at all for over 2/3 of our rounds, the teams we faced didn't have radar just 3 times. Wargaming, once again, you must find a way to balance out radar between the teams. It is horrifically unfair to force one team to work harder than the other from the outset. That said, we won all but 2 of those rounds(where it was at least 2 radar to none.) However, it was much harder than it should have been, and teams that are less experienced probably get wrecked. A great many players have a lot of trouble dealing with radar and hydro, it's just how it is, partly due to neither being LoS, as they should be.

German hydro is absurdly OP in my rounds this season. When cruisers and BB's have sonar almost to my detection range, lord alive, it's just so much harder than it needs to be to be a remotely effective DD. When there's both multiple radar and sonar, the rage is very real. That said, I got a Liquidator on a Bismarck in my last match. The vast majority of my torp hits have been to Alabama and Richelieu, though I did torp the one Roma I've seen.

I've seen Asashio 3 times, on the red team, all losses for the red team. Likewise, tech tree PA DD's have not fared well in my rounds. When you're fighting a ship that out DPMs you, can torp you, and can find you if you try to hide, it doesn't end well. I've sunk 5 HY's. In every match of mine that there's been a HY present, the team that had it lost.

Alabama has by far been the BB I've seen the most, the overall play has been average. Bis/Tirp I've seen second most, and the Tirps haven't been played well, the Bismarcks have, overall, been played well.

Most of my matches have taken at least 16+ minutes, I've only been steamrolled 3 times, and in return have only steamrolled 4 times.

@Gneisenau013 was in a match against me earlier. He and his fellow DD played well. I made them work for it, but our other DD and his cruiser buddy yolo'd off alone and died and made it all but impossible to win. Kudo's to Gneis's team for playing together and well.

In closing, I've clearly improved, to the point where I can play on instinct, and carry if possible. I knew I'd improved each of the last 3 seasons, but couldn't get the results to show for it. The last 5 months have been a major shift in my play, and I'm grateful to my own clan, SYN, and a multitude of good players who div'd with me and taught me some small, but majorly important things I was missing. I've made it two ranks further than I ever have, in just 5 days. When I get to 10, I'll decide if I want to see just how far I can take it.

I hope your Ranked season is going as well as you'd like, if it's not, I truly feel your pain and hope it changes for you. Peace out.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
901 posts
5,988 battles

It was a hard fought match sir. Hats off to you for fighting the good fight!

LoYang is a deadly vessel to face off against in Ranked this season and I can wreak devastation if left unchallenged during the battle.

Good luck and see you again on the high seas!

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,865 posts
19,077 battles

I've read the book on Medal of Honor Winner John Basilone  he was a Brave man  

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Second time I've started from 23, and it's been an experience.

Overwhelming majority of the time, I'm top of team, but I can only carry so much.

It's getting better, the lower I go the better teams. Anything is better than what I've seen from where I was.

I run RPF on mine, and my teams have loved me calling out locations of hidden enemy. Bird dogging baby!!

12/8 Rank 14.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,702 battles

I second your observations on the Tirpitz.  Most have not been played well, and I dread seeing them on my team.  Similar, but much less prevalent, is the Takao.  They haven't been played well either.

[PLPT]
Members
57 posts
5,900 battles

Just had a game where one team had 2 Chapys and a Lo Yang. We had nothing with radar or hydro other than a Bismarck.

Predictable result. DDs could not get anywhere near a cap without being radared or hydrod. Complete waste of time loading in.

Edited by Drag0nBoat
spelling
  • Cool 5

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
442 posts
18,773 battles

currently sitting at 7.3. and I may or may not get some rounds in tonight. 

When you get to rank 10 things begin to be a lot more interesting. Players who aren't up to par tend to be erased pretty quickly. I am taking my time and should rank out in a few weeks unless I get some extra spare time then it will be faster. Beware of me in a Battleship. I hope to see you all on the other side of my guns.  

[INTEL]
Members
6,669 posts
25,809 battles

Played very few so far (little time). Made it from R18 to R15 with no losses (they will come).

Lo Yang is my weapon of choice (OP is right as I am a DD min and know how to run it). Tried Prinz in my first one. Not bad as I cit two Atagos. Enjoyed it and came middle of the pack. All the Lo Yang ones I was top of the winner team.

Have not seen CVs yet. In one battle we had a Chappy with no radar. A-Hull if you can believe it). The guy did well though and came third on a win. Even so I asked him no to bring stock ships to Ranked. Imagine.

So far, I'm happy. We'll see when I get to R10 (Z-52 will probably be my choice then).

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,749 battles

Lol pelican. I breezed right through after settling on Bama, 69% win rate. In Bama I carried a couple and almost always played well.

This season the Ranked 23-11 play was much better. Prolly because I got in early and played ranked with many good players. Purple clan tags were common. I think the experience of Clan Wars has rubbed off on the playerbase and people play as a team better.

Now at Rank 8. Tried Republique, Monty, and Z52 but finally settled on Shim. Winning in it, took a while to get how to play it. I play it as a spotter and area denial bote and make sure I am never out of position. Not lots of damage, but piling up wins.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,873 posts
11,596 battles

Ugh... so much text...did not read... still have an opinion. 

:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,898 battles

The Lo Yang is a very strong ship when played well. Where it lacks is the punch to delete things quickly other than its torpedoes.

It can and does bully other DDs off caps. 

Looking forward to your review on ranks 10 to 2 as I think that will be a completely different ball game. Very different cruiser play from the T8 meta.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,990 posts
7,530 battles
30 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Ugh... so much text...did not read... still have an opinion. 

:Smile_hiding:

Bite me, Oh Revered Clan Leader. :Smile_trollface:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,990 posts
7,530 battles
7 minutes ago, _greifer said:

The Lo Yang is a very strong ship when played well. Where it lacks is the punch to delete things quickly other than its torpedoes.

Looking forward to your review on ranks 10 to 2 as I think that will be a completely different ball game. Very different cruiser play from the T8 meta.

I hope so, I truly do, as I'm switching to Hindy when I get there, and I really don't want to be left alone with DD's spotting me that I can't find.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,990 posts
7,530 battles
1 hour ago, DreadRaybo said:

I second your observations on the Tirpitz.  Most have not been played well, and I dread seeing them on my team.  Similar, but much less prevalent, is the Takao.  They haven't been played well either.

Atago and Takao both haven't been handled well. Charles Martel, however, I've seen a few times, and it was, as I recall, always handled well.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,990 posts
7,530 battles
1 hour ago, Wulfgarn said:

Second time I've started from 23, and it's been an experience.

Overwhelming majority of the time, I'm top of team, but I can only carry so much.

It's getting better, the lower I go the better teams. Anything is better than what I've seen from where I was.

I run RPF on mine, and my teams have loved me calling out locations of hidden enemy. Bird dogging baby!!

12/8 Rank 14.

Yeah, during the 4 matches I ran it, I got blasted by my teams for giving them information. I mean, I just can't even.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,642 posts
13,656 battles
21 minutes ago, _greifer said:

That is spot on

And truly just team line up's  from 10 to 6 and 5 and lower that's what I wanna hear about your experience

So good luck out there hope you make it:Smile_honoring:

[LHG]
Members
1,659 posts
4,931 battles

Both Alabama and Tripitz are premium ships.  That's normally a good thing but it can also mean that someone has bought that ship specifically to play in Ranked without having gained the experience to earn a similar ship on the tech tree.  Hence, in ranked at least, it's not surprising that some premium ships aren't doing as well as some of the tech tree variants. 

[NOBS]
Members
552 posts
5,967 battles

My very first ranked, so far it seems to be "the killing fields" for BB's. I'm a giant HE and Torp magnet, and I'm stuck at level 15

[HSSW]
Members
4 posts
4,913 battles

Well ranked sucks for me, one more rank and i`ll be rank 10 with no tier 10 ship :/. Heck I just researched USS Iowa. Guess I get to sit out and wonder how much further I could have gone. :(

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'm also noticing a very cruiser-light meta for Ranked, even with this being my first time playing. I have four ships that can participate, and sadly the one that I probably NEED to play more in order to learn to better support it, my Hipper, is the one I find most frustrating and feel least useful in. Don't get me wrong, I have good games in her where I can chew through enemy DDs while dancing with hydro, or the time I managed to flank and take out the enemy Lexington that had inexplicably decided to charge, but she's just hard for me to make work. I've been doing a lot better with my New Orleans, and that ship isn't even fully upgraded! The one-two punch of radar followed up by hydro just can't be beat for clearing smoke off of caps. Of the other two ships I have, I feel more satisfied with a win from my Tirpitz and she's by far my most played ship in ranked, but I get the feeling I should try taking out the Alabama more. iDunno, I just prefer the heavy secondaries and torpedoes on Tirpitz so I can brawl if I have to. Admittedly it's also because I have the Hindenburg unlocked and I need SOOOO many credits to get her so I can progress past rank 10, but the point still stands!

One thing I've noticed that baffles me though: Every battle--and I do mean EVERY battle--with three caps in a triangle a-la space battles, someone will always say that we just need to go A/B and ignore C. I have never seen this plan work. I have no idea why they even think it will work. Every time I have won a match with that cap arrangement it has been because someone contested C to some degree, either taking it outright and then attacking the other caps from the flank or at the very least stalling the enemy and bloodying them enough for the team at the other two caps to clean up the rest of their team.

Members
7 posts
570 battles

I played Ranked battle this season as an excuse to grind with my North Carolina. I was expecting to stay in ranks 15-11 for a long time but surprisingly, I got to rank 10 earlier today.

It wasn't an easy road though, the number of DDs playing in ranked is high and those DDs usually dictate a battle from my experience. I thought that I'm going to struggle hard on my North Carolina but Ranked Battle was a blast overall.

I don't have a tier X ship, though, and I just unlocked Iowa and I'm poor on credits. I can't tell if I'll be able to participate further in Ranked Battle before the season is over.

Maybe next time I can at least get to rank 5, I'd like to use that red flag even if only for a couple of battles.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Shoot, just remembered something: Why exactly do ranked battles not count towards missions? The Honorable Service and Isoroku Yamamoto ones in particular, why are they set to random battles only? As long as I'm in the right tier ship it shouldn't really matter whether I'm, say, spotting torpedoes or earning credits in a random battle or a ranked one. They're both random in terms of team composition, if anything achieving some of these would be harder in ranked because of the smaller number of ships per side.

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,875 battles

Currently at rnk 13 so far. I was planning on using Charles Martel and Chapayev, but other than a few initial games, I found I was heavily targetted by BB's so switched to DD's. I finally got Yamamoto and put him in Akizuki and currently using that or HSF Harekaze. Lo Yang is amazing, wish I had a decent enough captain to use, but I am happy enough with Akizuki. 

So far, every Takao and Kii player has been bad, going off on their own. I've had to warn some players to play the objectives, as some get tunnel vision and chase a ship off into nowhere but after a few pings on the map, they turn around. Most play as a team, so overall I am having a better experience this time in ranked, than in the past.

[DRT]
Beta Testers
5 posts
7,464 battles

hit rank 10 last night used mostly the richelieu fast bb plays a lot like a heavy cruiser fast hard hitting with punchy gun does over pen at times or durps shots but when she hits damn. Only have 1 tier 10 German bb see how she does later today hope it turns out ok

[PNP]
Members
131 posts
9,571 battles

This season is the first time I have played ranked. I started on sunday and have been able to make it to rank 7. What I can tell you is you need to find the ship that works for you and stick to it. For me on T8 it was the Bismarck and on T10 the GK. Both obviously not OP ships, but since they suit my playstyle in the close quarters combat that is ranked, they just work.

My point: Find the ship that suits you and stick to it.