Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Louiebuck

Asashio

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[I-F]
Members
3 posts
7,010 battles

I wonder if WOW is trying to phase out battleships from competition or simply trying to make money off of Asishios by selling wins. Battleships are already setting ducks for stealth destroyers with their fate determined not by skill but by the server. Now a DD that can take them out at the beginning of the battle without ever being seen? Why bother?

 

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[-THOR]
Members
629 posts
3,274 battles

Play good and they won't be a problem.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,737
[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles
31 minutes ago, Louiebuck said:

setting ducks

I hope they aren't setting all of their ducks in a row.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
247
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,549 battles
1 hour ago, Louiebuck said:

I wonder if WOW is trying to phase out battleships from competition or simply trying to make money off of Asishios by selling wins. Battleships are already setting ducks for stealth destroyers with their fate determined not by skill but by the server. Now a DD that can take them out at the beginning of the battle without ever being seen? Why bother?

Ultimately, the Asashio is a lot like the Kitakami. Good at killing stupid players and little else. If you're where you should be, up behind a cruiser and DD screen, they'll see the torps with more than enough time for you to dodge them. If you're so far out of position that the Asashio has room to get around your screen and torp you directly, you got what you earned. The ship is sub-par in the extreme, a normal Kagero matches or exceeds it in just about everything. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KWA]
Members
132 posts
8,082 battles

Asashio is far from pay to win. It lacks much of what a DD needs in order to make a large impact on the game. A kagero is a more effective ship at contributing to a win, as well as pretty much every other DD at tier 8. The Asashio is a gimmick. And while I agree that the playstyle it is designed for does not improve the game, the threat it poses is easily minimalized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
1 hour ago, Louiebuck said:

I wonder if WOW is trying to phase out battleships from competition or simply trying to make money off of Asishios by selling wins. Battleships are already setting ducks for stealth destroyers with their fate determined not by skill but by the server. Now a DD that can take them out at the beginning of the battle without ever being seen? Why bother?

 

No. Asashio is a weak DD. All she punishes are idiotic BB drivers and campers. Look at the ship before making a Fake Forum Fox-esque tinfoil hat theory. Maybe you can go look for Half-Life 3 instead.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
697
[5D5]
Members
2,295 posts
14,422 battles
2 hours ago, Louiebuck said:

I wonder if WOW is trying to phase out battleships from competition or simply trying to make money off of Asishios by selling wins. Battleships are already setting ducks for stealth destroyers with their fate determined not by skill but by the server. Now a DD that can take them out at the beginning of the battle without ever being seen? Why bother?

 

A BB is a sitting duck if it is literally sitting still, driving in straight lines for long periods of time or ignoring what's occurring on the mini map.

While there are some other examples if you are paying attention, using WASD hacks and not being predictable then you'll be mind blown by how many torpedoes will miss your BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles
4 hours ago, Louiebuck said:

I wonder if WOW is trying to phase out battleships from competition or simply trying to make money off of Asishios by selling wins. Battleships are already setting ducks for stealth destroyers with their fate determined not by skill but by the server. Now a DD that can take them out at the beginning of the battle without ever being seen? Why bother?

 

Lol god you think this is something you should have been here back when IJN DDs were actually good. The Asashio is no issue as long as you don't play like a idiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,863
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
39 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Lol god you think this is something you should have been here back when IJN DDs were actually good. The Asashio is no issue as long as you don't play like a idiot

The days of:

Pre-IJN DD Torpedo nerfs.

The Old Tier V Minekaze:  Seal Clubber Extraordinaire.

The Undisputed Queen of High Tier Destroyers:  Tier X Shimakaze.  Remember the Shima x3 divisions cross dropping the maps?  Before ships like DM got Radar? :Smile_teethhappy:

Last, certainly not least, and I'm sure this is picking scabs:  The Old Tier VIII Fubuki.  Everybody talked about Minekaze and Shimakaze, but Fubuki was one of those pleasant surprises the players discovered on their way to Shima.

 

IJN DDs were so good that it took a series of nerfs to the line and their torpedoes, buffs to the USN DD Line to make USN DDs more relevant and not a pushover to IJN DDs.  Nobody cared about Gearing nor even the subsequent arrival of Khabarovsk because Shimakaze's torpedoes were sooooo gooood!

 

And if someone is thinking, "Well, if Shima was OP in those days, I just won't play High Tier."

Too bad!

Because then you got Fubuki in Tier VIII and Minekaze in Tier V covering the other tier groups with IJN Torpedoes.  If you want to go low LOW tier, then there was still IV isokaze and II Umikaze.  The old IJN DD Line had it all covered.  The only price they paid in those days was going through VI Mutsuki and VII Hatsuharu.  I remember Mutsuki when her torpedo range was shorter than her concealment range.

 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137
[SPTR]
Members
1,771 posts
848 battles

Asashio will punish the idiots, who will whine or forums about her being OP. She is not an OP ship. To actually get hit my the torps at 15-20 km u either have to be incredibly stupid so as to not touch any of your WASD keys and almost a minute, or you are so out of position you deserve it. Asashio is, if anything, UP since she can't defend herself against another DD, with the exepction of a equal or lower tier IJN DD. 

Working As IntendedTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166
[NNC]
Members
1,136 posts
13,610 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The days of:

Pre-IJN DD Torpedo nerfs.

The Old Tier V Minekaze:  Seal Clubber Extraordinaire.

The Undisputed Queen of High Tier Destroyers:  Tier X Shimakaze.  Remember the Shima x3 divisions cross dropping the maps?  Before ships like DM got Radar? :Smile_teethhappy:

Last, certainly not least, and I'm sure this is picking scabs:  The Old Tier VIII Fubuki.  Everybody talked about Minekaze and Shimakaze, but Fubuki was one of those pleasant surprises the players discovered on their way to Shima.

 

IJN DDs were so good that it took a series of nerfs to the line and their torpedoes, buffs to the USN DD Line to make USN DDs more relevant and not a pushover to IJN DDs.  Nobody cared about Gearing nor even the subsequent arrival of Khabarovsk because Shimakaze's torpedoes were sooooo gooood!

 

And if someone is thinking, "Well, if Shima was OP in those days, I just won't play High Tier."

Too bad!

Because then you got Fubuki in Tier VIII and Minekaze in Tier V covering the other tier groups with IJN Torpedoes.  If you want to go low LOW tier, then there was still IV isokaze and II Umikaze.  The old IJN DD Line had it all covered.  The only price they paid in those days was going through VI Mutsuki and VII Hatsuharu.  I remember Mutsuki when her torpedo range was shorter than her concealment range.

 

Actually the real in recognized queen were Isokaze. I saw some with 70% win rates.

Less popular but they were as club as Clemson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
247
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,549 battles
46 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

Asashio will punish the idiots, who will whine or forums about her being OP. She is not an OP ship. To actually get hit my the torps at 15-20 km u either have to be incredibly stupid so as to not touch any of your WASD keys and almost a minute, or you are so out of position you deserve it. Asashio is, if anything, UP since she can't defend herself against another DD, with the exepction of a equal or lower tier IJN DD. 

Working As IntendedTM

She's tied with the Kagero in terms of guns, The Akizuki, Yugumo, Shimakaze, and HSF Harekaze all outgun her, and she has an edge in guns over the Fubuki, Akatsuki, Hatsuharu, Shiratsuyu  and Shinonome. Then you have to factor in that every non-Pan Asian DD in the game can torpedo her, and she can't return the favor. No, she will probably get spanked by every DD in her match making spread, It's even iffy against the Fubuki and Hatsuharu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles

Hey

So far I think the Asashio is not the big threat everyone thought it was going to be.  I only have a couple games in it, but find it very underwhelming so far.  I much prefer a regular DD, but I admit I do need a lot more practice with her.  So far I have had those game where there is no BB on my side or like today got up-tired with a LoYang and a minotaur running against me.  I did land 2 torps on a Tirpitz but didn't last long after I got radar'd.  Very Meh, on my part.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
842 posts

After playing against them for almost a week now, I can safely say Asashio is a total loser of a ship.

It's completely useless as a DD - every other DD does the DD job in a far superior way, and the Asashio has no hope of beating any other DD not a T6 or T7 IJN one.  Heck I watched a T6 Gaeda school an Asashio, despite having almost a 1.5km inferior concealment range.  It's just a crappy DD all around - it even suck at just spotting, compared to it's peers.

And the torpedoes make it worse. Not because of their effectiveness. Nope. But because of what their limited capabilities combined with their stupid performance characteristics do.  Not being able to torp 75% of the ships in the game is bad enough, but what I'm seeing is even worse:  they're causing seemingly random torpedo hits.

It's not that they're hitting camping BBs. Nor are they hitting pushing BBs too much either. No, what I see happening is this:  torpedoes showing up out of the blue (literally) from angles no one could have predicted, and smearing a BB. 

That's because of the 20km range on this idiotic thing.  Stuff that gets launched at targets travels halfway across the map in directions people have no reason to presume there might ever be torpedoes coming from. Screening doesn't help, because you can't surround your battleships with 360 protection.

Worse, the long time it takes those torpedoes to travel means that it's really easy for BBs to blunder into one in an area that was very recently traveled through by friendlies.  It's also not possible to keep track of where an Asashio might be launching them from, as the time and range characteristics make the potential danger zone almost 25% of the entire map. 

I feel for the poor BBs on my team that have gotten smeared by Asashios - they're doing everything right, and their team is doing everything right, and yet, these torps suddenly pop up as if by magic, and they loose 50k health (or more). 

 

In short, the Asashio is a total failure:  it's useless as a DD, and does nothing to the game play except piss off BB players (and their supporting teammates) by almost literally causing random shotgun-in-mouth blasts.  In terms of game balance and "fun and engaging" mechanics, the Asashio is the worst things to come along since Magic Radar and Detonations.  And that's saying something about the abysmal quality of the ship.

 

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137
[SPTR]
Members
1,771 posts
848 battles
6 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

She's tied with the Kagero in terms of guns, The Akizuki, Yugumo, Shimakaze, and HSF Harekaze all outgun her, and she has an edge in guns over the Fubuki, Akatsuki, Hatsuharu, Shiratsuyu  and Shinonome. Then you have to factor in that every non-Pan Asian DD in the game can torpedo her, and she can't return the favor. No, she will probably get spanked by every DD in her match making spread, It's even iffy against the Fubuki and Hatsuharu.

But is tying an IJN DD really saying a huge amount of good about the guns? They're not bad, just everything else is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles
5 hours ago, EAnybody said:

After playing against them for almost a week now, I can safely say Asashio is a total loser of a ship.

It's completely useless as a DD - every other DD does the DD job in a far superior way, and the Asashio has no hope of beating any other DD not a T6 or T7 IJN one.  Heck I watched a T6 Gaeda school an Asashio, despite having almost a 1.5km inferior concealment range.  It's just a crappy DD all around - it even suck at just spotting, compared to it's peers.

And the torpedoes make it worse. Not because of their effectiveness. Nope. But because of what their limited capabilities combined with their stupid performance characteristics do.  Not being able to torp 75% of the ships in the game is bad enough, but what I'm seeing is even worse:  they're causing seemingly random torpedo hits.

It's not that they're hitting camping BBs. Nor are they hitting pushing BBs too much either. No, what I see happening is this:  torpedoes showing up out of the blue (literally) from angles no one could have predicted, and smearing a BB. 

That's because of the 20km range on this idiotic thing.  Stuff that gets launched at targets travels halfway across the map in directions people have no reason to presume there might ever be torpedoes coming from. Screening doesn't help, because you can't surround your battleships with 360 protection.

Worse, the long time it takes those torpedoes to travel means that it's really easy for BBs to blunder into one in an area that was very recently traveled through by friendlies.  It's also not possible to keep track of where an Asashio might be launching them from, as the time and range characteristics make the potential danger zone almost 25% of the entire map. 

I feel for the poor BBs on my team that have gotten smeared by Asashios - they're doing everything right, and their team is doing everything right, and yet, these torps suddenly pop up as if by magic, and they loose 50k health (or more). 

 

In short, the Asashio is a total failure:  it's useless as a DD, and does nothing to the game play except piss off BB players (and their supporting teammates) by almost literally causing random shotgun-in-mouth blasts.  In terms of game balance and "fun and engaging" mechanics, the Asashio is the worst things to come along since Magic Radar and Detonations.  And that's saying something about the abysmal quality of the ship.

 

Hey

Having played my Asashio only on 2 games and have found those 2 games rather disappointing (but 2 games hardly counts for much does it) and have got  sunk in a BB by one, while pushing I might add BUT they are proving not to be the big bad wolf that everyone thought, they are not breaking the game, and quite often, you don't really see that many in game (at least the ones I have been in) and if nothing else I will just play another DD, or play at cruiser.  BB's are still camping and in my second game, I got a Tirpitz with 2 torps but then I was in trouble since I had a LoYang which gave me trouble and then because I had no tools of my own, got killed by a Minotaur since I was radar'd.  So your right that she is a limiting, one trick pony but then we all knew that going in.  You said you feel bad for the BB's on your side; well that proves Asashio is a threat that can easily be dealt with; much in the same way a Belfast can easily be dealt with when not in smoke; it has short comings/weaknesses as it should.  The only thing OP are the torps, outside of that it's not very good, so it is balanced in that regard and how much contribution to the team remains to be seen due to the learning curve involved in getting the most out of it.  Just because you don't like doesn't mean others won't, and have success with it.   

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[CVA16]
Members
2,313 posts
9,900 battles
21 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

If you're where you should be, up behind a cruiser and DD screen, they'll see the torps with more than enough time for you to dodge them.

Nice in concept, but having played a lot more cruisers than battleships, if I'm out in front of my BBs screening them in a cruiser, I am probably already sunk. BBs prioritize cruisers, even when they are much further away. May be my float-fighter hovering over my corpse will spot them for you. Pan-Asian DWTs can still hit me. As a DD it will work as no DWT will hit me and I can remain unspotted. Very frustrating to be out front screening your BBs while unspotted and catch a wall of torps meant for the BBs behind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Nice in concept, but having played a lot more cruisers than battleships, if I'm out in front of my BBs screening them in a cruiser, I am probably already sunk. BBs prioritize cruisers, even when they are much further away. May be my float-fighter hovering over my corpse will spot them for you. Pan-Asian DWTs can still hit me. As a DD it will work as no DWT will hit me and I can remain unspotted. Very frustrating to be out front screening your BBs while unspotted and catch a wall of torps meant for the BBs behind you.

Hrey

Not to mention; trying to get anyone in randoms to cooperate much less look out for fellow teammates is few and far between these days.  It's all about me, me. me and it's rare to see anyone really trying to help another player out of a selfless act.  It happens but rare; that's why Divisions are so good and much more fun for random games.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
842 posts
20 hours ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

But is tying an IJN DD really saying a huge amount of good about the guns? They're not bad, just everything else is better.

No, the point was that the Asashio's guns are crap.  And since she has to rely on them FAR more than any other DD (including other IJN DDs), it's a huge flaw.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137
[SPTR]
Members
1,771 posts
848 battles
4 hours ago, EAnybody said:

No, the point was that the Asashio's guns are crap.  And since she has to rely on them FAR more than any other DD (including other IJN DDs), it's a huge flaw.

 

I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
410
[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,328 battles

If an Asashio decide to torps you from his own spawn :

1- The gap between each torps is large enough to let any BB manoeuver and dodge almost-all torps

2- It takes a loong time for torps to actually reach you. If you catch one of them, it's most likely because you sailed in straight line at the same speed for 30 sec or almost a minute. Something like that. There is a reason why people usually get close to BB even though they have the range to torps them. 

 

How to counter Asahio (and basically all DWT) :

1- WSAD hack

2- Sail behind your friendly DD and CA (if it's an Asahio). They will most torps launched at you

3-WSAD hack even more

4-Use your catapult fighter whenever you feel you will receive torps

5-WSAD hack even more

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,418 posts
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, EAnybody said:

No, the point was that the Asashio's guns are crap.  And since she has to rely on them FAR more than any other DD (including other IJN DDs), it's a huge flaw.

 

Shimakaze is in the same spot. Its torps are useless since they can be seen from orbit compared to any other DD.

However, Asashio has at least a redeeming quality over shima: Its torpedoes WORK even if it is against BBs. For a shima to get a hit with seen-from-orbit torps that have the widest separation of any nation is up to how dumb or distracted the target in, not up to the shima's firing pattern or positioning skill. Fact: A zero speed Yamato can spot shima torps and sail INTO and BETWEEN the torps. Its that idiotic of a nerf on shima.

I'm waiting to see what the new IJN DD line will bring because you will hardly see shimakaze's after it is out. The majority of shima drivers will switch to the quasi gunboat with functional torps (unless WG borks those too of course..the IJN hate from these devs reveals epic levels of Tsushima sphincter rash).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,071
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles
On 5/1/2018 at 6:11 PM, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Asashio is far from pay to win. It lacks much of what a DD needs in order to make a large impact on the game. A kagero is a more effective ship at contributing to a win, as well as pretty much every other DD at tier 8. The Asashio is a gimmick. And while I agree that the playstyle it is designed for does not improve the game, the threat it poses is easily minimalized.

this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles

Hey

I think your going to see the popularity of the Asashio falling off rapidly by a lot of players as the newness of it wears off; it can and will be a BB beast when played correctly but it's not the big game breaking DD everyone was expecting.  I am letting the popularity die down some before I start playing mine a bit more.  I have maybe 5 games in it so far, it's ok but not always engaging like a normal DD, being a specialized torp boat only.  

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
788
[STW-M]
Members
2,113 posts
5,924 battles
On 5/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I think your going to see the popularity of the Asashio falling off rapidly by a lot of players as the newness of it wears off; it can and will be a BB beast when played correctly but it's not the big game breaking DD everyone was expecting.  I am letting the popularity die down some before I start playing mine a bit more.  I have maybe 5 games in it so far, it's ok but not always engaging like a normal DD, being a specialized torp boat only.  

 

Pete

Of course, then there are the players that attempt to 1v1 a full-health Benson or Minsk and get predictably smashed, or those that I watch trying to torpedo cruisers (unfortunately, that particular Asashio happened to be on my team; numerous facepalms and a defeat were had).

It's probably going to be like Roma or Gallant: you'll see a large influx of them initially, but their numbers will gradually die down to where they have an equal chance to appear as any other ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×