Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Colorado -- when were the torpedo tubes removed?

6 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,393 posts
2,380 battles

I'm afraid I gave someone the wrong info, but I'm not entirely sure,  BB-45 was launched with two deck-mounted tubes (I was wrong in stating hull-mounted).  IIRC they didn't make it out of the '20s, but I can't find exactly when and why. (yes, I've been looking at Friedman's book). 

Anyone?

[WOLF3]
Members
6,393 posts
2,380 battles

Thanks.  I'll keep looking the Friedman book.  Also, if they appear on a plan, then later something else (e.g. AA gun tub) is in that location, I can look for when the tub was installed.

[AGBSL]
Members
63 posts
7,363 battles

I'm pretty sure the CO only had below water tubes mounted forward of turret 1, which would have been removed in the 30's refit as SgtBeltfed mentioned. You can see them here on Washington (which was never completed).

014712.jpg

Edited by AkXb70

[WOLF3]
Members
6,393 posts
2,380 battles

Interesting. 

According to Friedman, about the time of the launching of Colorado (1921), the mandate for torpedo armament was still there but had run into serious problems with underwater rooms for torpedo protection schemes, the crowding of machinery spaces, and compromises to citadel protection.  It is possible that on completed ships of the class the torpedo tubes were moved above waterline.  But I can find no definitive statement on that.

To tell the truth, I can't find a reference to any major refit of Tennessee or Colorado-class during the 30s.  They kept getting pushed back so that Colorado was actually undergoing refit at the time of Pearl Harbor.   The wiki article mentions a refit in 1927-8 in which her LR AA guns were replaced, but I can find nothing about it in either Friedman or DANFS.  It may have been coincident with drydocking for repair after her grounding.  That would have been a good time to remove the torpedo room(s).

Anyone have early drawings of the class?

OTOH, it's possible that the underwater rooms or deck mounts (if there were any) were never removed, but I have heard repeatedly that all torpedo armament was removed from USN BBs well before WWII.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles

It appears that they were below water at the time of launch, and they lost the below water tubes prior to 1928, maybe as early as their post delivery ship alterations in 1924.

West Virginia prior to launching

Maryland dry docked in 1928

Maryland, Tennessee, Colorado, West Virginia, California and Idaho fired the last battleship torpedo practice in 1930 or 31. 

Colorado in late 1924, the launcher might be installed abeam of turret number 3, from other pictures from the same era, I suspect the above water torpedoes were not a permanent installation, and may have only been fitted for the yearly exercises.

Removing above water tubes would have not required drydocking, and would have been an easy alteration pier side. Converting a torpedo magazine to a storeroom or some other form of magazine would have also been relatively simple, and something that could be done pier side.

Sign in to follow this