You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SavageTactical

Wargaming Profit distributions?

21 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,010 posts
9,045 battles

This is question for the staff. So when I buy something from the shop, how much of the money goes to NA Wargaming offices and how much goes to the corporate Headquarters overseas?

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,332 battles
Just now, SavageTactical said:

This is question for the staff. So when I buy something from the shop, how much of the money goes to NA Wargaming offices and how much goes to the corporate Headquarters overseas?

You do realize that when you buy from the shop, that money's going to Russia, right?  International transaction by way of Nicosia, Cyprus.  NA office gets paid out of the budget...

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

It says it in the fine print.

Members
9,976 posts
19 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Actually, most of your money is going to support a failed game known as WOWP....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Bad 1

Members
1,577 posts
10,000 battles

Why do you care how the money is distributed? Are you a shareholder? 

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I'm taking a wild guess, but OP thinks the money is getting funnelled into Putin's pockets and is afraid that dedicated 'murican workers are getting jipped.

OP, Wargaming operates like *every single company in the world*. Meaning it goes to the head office and then that head office distributes it to all their offices world wide as required by their budget. Obviously, the majority stays in Russia as the entire dev team resides there.

• Cool 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

Don't forget, some of the money does also go to Military Museums and to the Ships.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Less than .001% goes to the players{ SC and Discounts}

WG doesn't have to say because Freedom of information does not apply in Russia, or anywhere other than USA.

[PROJX]
Members
970 posts
15,753 battles
2 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

WG was publicly listed for a very short time on the Cyprus stock exchange a few years ago, but is now a privately held company.  Cyprus is a HQ listing primarily due to favorable tax purposes and incorporation purposes (many US startups are incorporated in Delaware due to laws which protect board members from liability, etc.).  Since they’re a private Corp really based in St. Petersburg, they are under no obligation to release this type of info.   If an employee were to answer this question w/o it being corporate policy to reveal this info, they would be putting their employment at risk.

The best you could do for now would be to try to get a feel for this answer is to try to dig up an earnings report while they were listed on the Cypress exchange.   Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the company was public during the period prior to the GA release of WOWS so it may not be the answer you’re looking for.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

Everyone always calls this thing play-for-free so I always assumed whatever I spent in the premium shop went toward charity?  So its all been a big fat lie???

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

Actually, most of your money is going to support a failed game known as WOWP....:Smile_teethhappy:

I think whats really happening is a clever plot by WG to have us all pay to play test their game.  

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,332 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

WG doesn't have to say because Freedom of information does not apply in Russia, or anywhere other than USA.

And for privately held companies in the US, that doesn't apply, either.

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles

I think the amount of money we spend on this game doesn't reflect a proportional amount of programmer work....I bet it does subsidize warplanes. kinda bugs me, this game needs new game modes and maps really bad... yet they're in the premium ship/new content trap to stay in the black.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
2 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I think the amount of money we spend on this game doesn't reflect a proportional amount of programmer work....

so you're saying game companies routinely rely upon slave labor?

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

so you're saying game companies routinely rely upon slave labor?

no, I'm saying that warships profit could employ more programmers for game mechanic type work, but that money is going to warplanes instead.

Also, they're not going to pour sufficient resources into this games until it starts faltering...we need to vote with out dollars more often.

Edited by HorrorRoach

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles

Nothing new to take profits from one product line and invest in your next one. Without that we would have near zero innovation.

And as mentioned above the freedom of information act only applies to government agencies. As this is the peoples government, unless it constitutes sensitive information, it belongs to the people. Corporations and individuals have a right to privacy unless compelled by a court order.

And to refine another post, not every corporation sends money to a head office, some structure it (especially internationally) to remain in the country initially, but this is usually done to take advantage of taxes or privacy.

[VOP]
Members
269 posts
7,050 battles
2 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

A lot of the information in the US is not free or accessible either.

Members
1,866 posts

I don't especially care as long as I'm having fun, but the Russian-owned Daybreak Games has become embroiled in sanctions against it's oligarch majority shareholder.

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

no, I'm saying that warships profit could employ more programmers for game mechanic type work, but that money is going to warplanes instead.

That's how every company with multiple divisions works.

Unless they have some research that would lead them to believe that having more WoWS programmers, and letting WoWP die, would make them more money, why would they do it?

And you can bet that they looked into shutting down WoWP. The only logical reason they wouldn't, is if it manages to at least break even. (or loses little enough that shutting it down wouldn't be worth the hard feelings towards WG of those who play it)

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

That's how every company with multiple divisions works.

Unless they have some research that would lead them to believe that having more WoWS programmers, and letting WoWP die, would make them more money, why would they do it?

And you can bet that they looked into shutting down WoWP. The only logical reason they wouldn't, is if it manages to at least break even. (or loses little enough that shutting it down wouldn't be worth the hard feelings towards WG of those who play it)

They don't want to admit it's failed, and don't want the bad publicity that'll come with it... So our game has to suffer. They are not investing into the future of warships, they only create content that makes a profit while the game itself kinda rots.

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
2 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

They don't want to admit it's failed, and don't want the bad publicity that'll come with it... So our game has to suffer. They are not investing into the future of warships, they only create content that makes a profit while the game itself kinda rots.

Well there you go. They obviously believe (and they aren't just guessing like us) that the benefits of that outweigh the cost of supporting WoWP. 

And that assumes that WoWP doesn't generate enough revenue to keep the lights on. (we don't know that it doesn't)

It also assumes that spending the extra money on programming staff would at the very least, pay for itself. (again, WG would know that better than us)