You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Self Reflection In Ranked: Potatoes Help you Advance

24 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,860 posts
13,076 battles

There are many posts herein about being on Ranked teams full of potatoes.  The apparent logic is these potatoes are a barrier to advancement.  They pull the good players down.  Ironically, the opposite is true.  If we assume everyone is equally likely to be on the potato team or the "good" team, and the "good" team will beat the potato team...then that covers 50% of one's advancement stars.  The 50% of time one finds themselves on the potato team, one will top out and not lose a star.  When the field is full of potatoes amidst one's excellence, one should advance faster up the ranks.

The reality requires some self reflection.  If one really is on a potato team (comparatively speaking), then one will top out and not lose a star.  The very fact a star is lost is an indication that others have played better.  If it is indeed a potato team, one must face the reality that if it's really a potato team....perhaps one is a potato too.

Potato is relative.  Among unicum players, a good player might appear to potato.  That same good player will perceive average players as potatoes.  And on it goes.  

Given this relative hierarchy, and the ranking process, one must understand that if one is among potatoes...and one's play is superior to the potatoes, then this is a good thing in terms of aiding the advance.  Although one could blame statistical variance, which can be a factor in the aggregate, that is the rare exception.  The reality of failing or falling...the real reality...with the exception of the true unicum class...is we are all potatoes...relatively speaking. 

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles

Well said +1

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,299 battles

Here's how I look at it. I'd you are an above average player, then you have 7/6 odds to have more potatoes on the enemy team

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,411 posts
3,583 battles

I don't care about my team, I'll do my best to win team be damned. Sometimes I can rely on them, Other times I can't. Doesn't change my mentality or approach to winning. 

The Kidd is extra good at making up for bad teams, so hopefully i can keep her 71% w/r alive. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Oh, but there are so many people in Ranked who think that they are good, also on the forums and other game modes. If WG would let people judge themselves we will see plenty A+ players without stats backing this up.

It is why Ranked is so salty, at least for me. EG; when someone is telling a US BB to use HE on DD’s, because AP is useless. 

Members
9,996 posts
46 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There are many posts herein about being on Ranked teams full of potatoes.  The apparent logic is these potatoes are a barrier to advancement.  They pull the good players down.  Ironically, the opposite is true.  If we assume everyone is equally likely to be on the potato team or the "good" team, and the "good" team will beat the potato team...then that covers 50% of one's advancement stars.  The 50% of time one finds themselves on the potato team, one will top out and not lose a star.  When the field is full of potatoes amidst one's excellence, one should advance faster up the ranks.

The reality requires some self reflection.  If one really is on a potato team (comparatively speaking), then one will top out and not lose a star.  The very fact a star is lost is an indication that others have played better.  If it is indeed a potato team, one must face the reality that if it's really a potato team....perhaps one is a potato too.

Potato is relative.  Among unicum players, a good player might appear to potato.  That same good player will perceive average players as potatoes.  And on it goes.  

Given this relative hierarchy, and the ranking process, one must understand that if one is among potatoes...and one's play is superior to the potatoes, then this is a good thing in terms of aiding the advance.  Although one could blame statistical variance, which can be a factor in the aggregate, that is the rare exception.  The reality of failing or falling...the real reality...with the exception of the true unicum class...is we are all potatoes...relatively speaking. 

Your entire premise is based on a logical fallacy...Most of the players complaining look like spuds in training. Spuds cannot carry other spuds, they keep rolling off their back.....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Scenario..... top 14 World of Warships Players go into a ranked battle against one another. 

8 of those players will be top dogs.

6 will be Potatoes.

• Funny 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I got to Rank 14 in Asashio for a reason. I cause distractions and will support my team. On the other hand, if my team does not support me I cannot support them so I end up torping and capping and keeping my stars. If you expect my Asashio to do something, you were wrong because she can't do it. Hence I support.

Edited by Vangm94

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,551 battles

When you start "not losing a star" 5 games in a row, you take a different view on potatoes. Good performance doesn't get you away from them. It just makes you frustrated that you aren't making any progress. Your chances of progressing are determined by what MM gave you, and not personal skill.

Ranked basically needs qualifying rounds. Not done by wins and losses, just filtered by a minimum score. Filter out those don't contribute instead of pulling them along to be rewarded, and you'd have healthier ranked games.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

If it is indeed a potato team, one must face the reality that if it's really a potato team....perhaps one is a potato too.

I had a battle in Randoms last night in which I killed two ships in my Edinburgh and wound up being the highest XP-scorer on the losing team. I can probably count on one hand the number of Random battles where I've topped the team on a win, so my first thought was "Man, if someone like me is top of team, there's a problem with the team." :Smile_teethhappy:

The potatoes that are going to get me through ranked (if at all) are mostly the ones that have been thin-sliced, cooked, flavoured and put into a foil bag.

• Funny 1

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

As a potato myself I find the best matches are when a more knowledgeable and skilled player will give some direction in chat.

Im able to follow and execute fairly well directions, be surprised what a little communication can accomplish even with potatoes!

[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles
3 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

When you start "not losing a star" 5 games in a row,

Maybe saving your star a certain number of times in a row should earn you one? IDK.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,810 battles

48.7% potato, +/- .7% potato.

Ranked is 7 random people deciding to work together, or not.

7, 40% potatoes can beat most teams if they work together.

Sadly, most potatoes bring the wrong ship, play their ship wrong and/or feel they can kill all and win.

Clan wars has taught me 3 things:

Stay together and focus fire.

Control map and vision.

Stay alive....

Btw, Asashio is a terrible choice max 2 targets to kill and not enough fire power to kill.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,397 battles
55 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Your not a real potato unless your Clan tag says you are lol.

Great clan name...  If I weren't in a clan I'd sign up lol

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,860 posts
13,076 battles
1 hour ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Your not a real potato unless your Clan tag says you are lol.

Only those who are not would call themselves so.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Only those who are not would call themselves so.

LOL trust me I have done quite a few things wrong in Ranked up to this point to qualify for top potato.

[PLPT]
Members
167 posts
8,727 battles

I think what makes unicums salty, is when they carry most of the team, and "potatoes" throw it away. Most of the better players will offer advice, then are summarily ignored. 

Watching your team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory gets old.

[UEFN]
Members
391 posts
11,853 battles

The better you played, the more potatoes you're gonna end up getting and have to carry. Probably as balancing act.

[UEFN]
Members
391 posts
11,853 battles
22 minutes ago, Zairinzan said:

I think what makes unicums salty, is when they carry most of the team, and "potatoes" throw it away. Most of the better players will offer advice, then are summarily ignored. 

Watching your team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory gets old.

+1  exactly that. 

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There are many posts herein about being on Ranked teams full of potatoes.  The apparent logic is these potatoes are a barrier to advancement.  They pull the good players down.  Ironically, the opposite is true.  If we assume everyone is equally likely to be on the potato team or the "good" team, and the "good" team will beat the potato team...then that covers 50% of one's advancement stars. 

the complaint is on huge skill gap created by potato, and the uncontrollable outcome associated in that, not "losing X amount of game cuz of potato" 

take for example, assume average is 10 and my own skill is 20, rest of my team vs enemy should be 60:70, so with me it's 80vs70 so we would win

with everyone being average, several games might go like 58:72 55:68 63:75 59:70, which i could make a difference every game if i was skilled enough

with enough potatoes here and there, gap could go like 30:60 60:40 20:50 60:50, in all cases win is win and loss is loss regardless of my skill, my WR stay at 50% even if i have 200% average player skill

this is super-over-simplification of the scenario but you get a feeling of what i mean

The 50% of time one finds themselves on the potato team, one will top out and not lose a star.  When the field is full of potatoes amidst one's excellence, one should advance faster up the ranks.

here you are also assuming exp is directly linked to contribution to team, but in fact it is very far off

spotting damage and cap control/area denial contribution are rewarded disproportionately small compared to what they actually should be

a DD that spots the entire game will simply lose star to a BB that just happened to RNG and multiple citadel/DS an enemy cruiser