You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Situation Report - Ranked Battles

125 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
899 posts
5,943 battles

After a full weekend of ranked battles, how does your outlook of this current season look like?

So far, I have been rotating a cycle of go-to vessels I feel confident in and things appear to be going in the right direction.

I've committed to provide my destroyers and cruisers to this ranked season:

1. Kidd - this ship is a Tier VIII Fletcher minus 1 torpedo tube. It has repair party and can lay down lethal 127mm gunfire at a blistering rate

2. LoYang - a Benson class destroyer with hydroacoustics to detect enemy vessels as well low detection range make her idea for spotting and securing objectives

3. Mikhail Kutuzov - her primary mission is a DD hunter. Rapid fire 152mm guns = quick and painless death to DDs caught in her crosshairs. In addition, she has been effective in providing gunfire support against other cruisers and battleships. Her AA cover has also lethal consequences for incoming strike aircraft

Reserve forces:

1. HSF Harekaze - I've selected the C hull for her and plan to employ her for ranked battle as a scout and gunboat platform for hunting DDs

2. Prinz Eugen - buffed with the damage repair party, her primary role is to support the heavy guns of the fleet with hard hitting 203mm armor piercing shells

3. Mogami - I unlocked her during the middle of the last ranked season but never saw action as I had yet to learn how to command the ship. Capable of laying deadly fire on any target regardless of size.

My aim is to try to grind as high as I can go and try to get under rank 10. 

What is your sitrep, what ships are in your ranked season fleet, and what goals do you have this season?

"Leadership consists of picking good men(and women) and helping them do their best." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
349 posts
3,442 battles

I have only 2 tier 8 vessels at the moment, both cruisers. Both the Charles Matel and the New Orleans seem to be holding their own. I managed to go from 23 to 17 without to many issues.

I suspect for now people are still getting their heads around tactics and how to plan for the maps. In most games it feels more like I am playing a random battle rather than ranked. Not much coordination or cooperation going on.

Planning to take advantage of the growth curve as long as I can before the game starts to get dominated by proven performers shipwise.

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,544 battles

I have been shooting for under 10 this season as well.  The lowest I have got to is 8, then stopped due to the two steps forward, five steps back matches I got into.

This season I am trying to help the team bringing the Chappy.  She's a good ship, but I find I need to withhold shooting until she has a bit of cover.  Out in the open, even changing speeds and direction, BB shells hurt (and the DDs hate the Chappy's radar so you are always PNG #1)

I also I using the HSF Harekaze to help spot for the team and deny areas.

For BB's I have used the Kii.  She works out well, but I am not getting the damage numbers I'd like.  Its funny though when people forget she has torps.

Some times I am overextending or firing too early.  Got to stop that

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

The new Ranked, same as the old Ranked. Mixed teams of people who know what they're doing and people who really don't (but think they do). Pray you get more of the former, or at least few enough of the latter that you can still carry the team to a win.

• Cool 1

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,800 battles

Sounds familiar Gneis, here's my stats so far (my 1st season of Ranked).

Made it to Rank 10 on Sunday, now trying to finish Grozovoi grind as I don't think the Khab is the best choice for Ranked (at least for me).

I agree with your choices, the Kidd did great, not always the most damage, but helping the team is the name of the game.

wow_ranked.JPG

Edited by digitaljustice
  • Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles

I wish I could get under 10 but I’m stuck. Can’t play ranked any now due to not having a tier 10. Overall the grind to rank 10 was fun. Personally I did better than last season.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

One interesting thing this season though, way more cruisers than past seasons. I wonder if Clan Battles are starting to affect player ship choices overall.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,729 posts
7,712 battles

Well as far as playing goes it was going just fine, unfortunately I just signed on a house and am going to be pretty busy for the next month.

Radar Chappy treated me well.

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,127 battles
10 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Well as far as playing goes it was going just fine, unfortunately I just signed on a house and am going to be pretty busy for the next month.

Radar Chappy treated me well.

congrats on the house, come find me near the end, i'm sure i'll still be there, just like the other seasons.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
48 posts
9,013 battles

goal was to go under 10, but I'm seeing an incredible amount of bads in ranked. lots of tirpiz, lots of guys with no camo, yolo play, broadsides. its just horrible.

• Cool 1

[FAITH]
Members
21 posts
7,698 battles

REEEE.PNG

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[DKM]
Members
115 posts
14,556 battles
1 minute ago, Kelsier3 said:

REEEE.PNG

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

we made a chat "Ranked 5 to 1" pls join so we can see who is avaible

[KRK]
Beta Testers
65 posts
7,365 battles

10 and under I figured the economy would be tweaked to compensate for the price of tier 10s... gonna be an expensive season... 

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
35 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

One interesting thing this season though, way more cruisers than past seasons. I wonder if Clan Battles are starting to affect player ship choices overall.

Tier 10 DD play isnt very enjoyable in ranked. You have to play perfectly to survive, its very difficult to carry, and even more difficult to save a star on a loss.

• Cool 2

[SOFOP]
Members
240 posts
3,555 battles

First ranked season for me.  Only have NO and NC to battle with (if they continue doing this method of switching tier ships at certain ranks, I think they should consider the loaner system as well like they did for CB, if nothing else for more variety).

I had heard horror stories of people going off in chat, that the environment was toxic, etc.  I haven't found it any more toxic than random so far, but I am only at R17.  I see the occasional guy that says you lost the game for the team because you did not follow HIS plan (doesn't matter that you have torn apart the other team, you didn't follow HIS plan). 

Most memorable game so far was a guy that said that me (In a NO) and another guy (in a NC) lost the game for the team because we appeared to be defending an uncontested cap (there was actually a BB and a DD that we killed moments before).  He laid it on fairly thick while I headed to the contested caps (with 2 kills already) and then took out a Chappy coming around a corner just before getting torped to seal the win.  Was fun :)

That said, I see plenty of BBs who think that because they sniped 2 people from 20km, that they are "good" and "playing well".  Nevermind that the CAs and DDs are getting shredded due to the lack of a BB threat and the presence of the enemy BBs actually pushing....you go ahead with your sniping!  Damage matters more than wins, amirite?

Overall the balance of having an all equal tier match is pretty fun though.  Not all ships are balanced, but its fun.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
19 minutes ago, Kevsteak1 said:

10 and under I figured the economy would be tweaked to compensate for the price of tier 10s... gonna be an expensive season... 

There's a camouflage for that...

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles

Sit rep:

Currently at rank 12 in 25 battles. 64% W/R

Forces committed:

Loyang  W/R 69%

Kidd W/R  80%

Kutuzov  W/R 50%

Asahio  W/R 50%

Hipper  0%

Current goal - Rank 10

Intermediate goal Rank 5

Planned end goal Rank 3 (drools at radar mod)

will try for 1 if time allows

• Cool 1

[KRK]
Beta Testers
65 posts
7,365 battles
8 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

5k gold premium camo? Couple of others I know, but not running premium puts a damper on things. Sorry can’t afford to buy camo or premium at the time

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,846 posts
13,064 battles

As they say, bring the ships your good in.  I've run Bismarck, Alabama, New Orleans, and Benson to Rank 14.  I'm about 55% including the pre-15 run, and Only about 44% at 15 to 14.  All four ships seem about the same for me in terms of my contribution, with the Alabama perhaps a neck ahead.

My goal is to simply play five Ranked games a day for the duration of the ranked season.  And let the chips fall where they fall.  I'm hoping this will alleviate the frustration that builds when going backwards.   

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,729 posts
7,712 battles
1 minute ago, Kevs02Accord said:

congrats on the house, come find me near the end, i'm sure i'll still be there, just like the other seasons.

Thanks, but I am sure you will be done by the time I am finished with everything. But if you are still there it will nice to see you in battle.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
52 minutes ago, Kevsteak1 said:

5k gold premium camo? Couple of others I know, but not running premium puts a damper on things. Sorry can’t afford to buy camo or premium at the time

I know buddy, I was just kidding around. It's just what "the company" hopes people are going to do is all. The motivation behind TX is pretty much financial. It'll get people to either finally buy ships they have had unlocked, throw a bit of FreeXP on em maybe, retrain captains/skills, slam some fancy camo on em, ect...

If they didn't get ya for Clan Battles they are hoping this carrot/stick combo will be the one.

70% WR so far (10 games), but I'm still in T8 and I've got a way to go yet. Luckily all 3 losses were on a non relegation rank @ 0 stars. 

Edited by Canadatron

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,280 battles

Stated at rank 19 and made it to rank 12 using principally Bismarck, Gascogne, and Kidd.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
41 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

As they say, bring the ships your good in.  I've run Bismarck, Alabama, New Orleans, and Benson to Rank 14.  I'm about 55% including the pre-15 run, and Only about 44% at 15 to 14.  All four ships seem about the same for me in terms of my contribution, with the Alabama perhaps a neck ahead.

My goal is to simply play five Ranked games a day for the duration of the ranked season.  And let the chips fall where they fall.  I'm hoping this will alleviate the frustration that builds when going backwards.   

Followed your 5 games a day plan. saves my blood pressure from skyrocketing.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
55 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Which is ALSO expensive ...

[LHG]
Members
1,653 posts
4,926 battles

The one thing that stands out about this season of Ranked is the almost complete lack of teamwork on a number of teams.  In previous seasons, a player going yolo spelled imminent defeat for the yolo player's side and it just didn't happen all that often once you got to rank 15.  Essentially, it was just hard for yolo players to advance that far. 

This year the yolos are everywhere and in large numbers.  It's very rare to see a game where you don't have multiple players heading off and doing their own thing so it's become a LOT like Random. It's just really really frustrating. 

Personally I'm coming to think that this is a consequence of Clan Wars.  Players who are able to play in Clan Wars naturally are team players and I think a number of them that might have participated in Ranked before are just kind of burned out after CW and Ranked just doesn't look as appealing.  Hence, Clan Wars has siphoned off many of the more team oriented players and left the rest of us with the Mal-de-Mer leftovers.  The only saving grace is that the red ships probably are dealing with the same problems which means, unlike in previous years, you can more often survive the yolo's and the sniper BBs which would have spelled instant death to your team before.   

Since you can't expect much in the way of team play this year (though it's great when you can get that) I feel I have to modify my game to play more like I'm in a Random Battle where there is at least a modest chance of finding a few players on your team that can work together knowing full well that if you run into an organize red team, you're toast. 

I'm not sure I agree totally with Soshi on her premise about potatoes.  Quite often if you are trying to help your team win, you'll place your ship into situations which are critical for victory but which are not likely to lead you to a large point total. Maybe it's denying a cap to the enemy for as long as possible even when you know you probably can't hold it forever, maybe it's time to push and inspire your lemming train to get out from behind it's rock and move forward, and they don't, or maybe you're just following your team's plan and you suddenly realize you're the only one following the plan.  

Quite often doing what needs to be done exposes your ship and leads you to take actions which are not going to maximize your point totals or your standing on the team, but which are vital to securing the win nonetheless.  If you do those things and you still lose, other players can easily outscore you by farming damage of taking actions which may inflate their point totals but be contrary to helping their team actually win the game.  

I'm currently at rank 13 and my overall win rate is 56.25%.  The ships I'm using are as follows. 

Bismarck- 11 games with a 72.73% win rate

New Orleans - 7 games with a 57.14% win rate

Lo Yang - 4 games with a 50% win rate

Tirpitz - 5 games with a 40% win rate

Alabama - 5 games with a 40% win rate.

Bismarck has been a beast for me this season especially in the higher ranked rounds I've played, New Orleans was the star in the lower ranks but is still rock solid.  Lo Yang, which was my star in the last season of Ranked, has faltered a bit this time around but is still 50/50.  I've fought a number of really good games in the Tirpitz so she is fighting well, but she's ended up on some of the most dysfunctional teams I've played on this season so her win rate doesn't reflect her actual performance.  Alabama has been something of a disappointment, but I'm a bit new to her having only received her a few days ago as a gift.  She cleaned up well when I was driving her in Randoms in preparation for Ranked, but her performance in Ranked just hasn't materialized yet. 

Anyway, fighting and scratching my way to 10 which is where I'll run out of ships to play. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1