Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gatorken

Leveling Up a New Ship

12 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
Members
37 posts
5,630 battles

What is the consensus on leveling up a new ship?  Do you just run it in Co-Op till all the modules are topped out? Also, if you don't spend the 500 doubloons, do you work the captain to 100% in Co-Op? Or just speed it in Randoms due to the better economy.  Which is the million dollar question why are the economies different from Co-Op to Random?  Why does WG care what you play as long as you play and spend money?

[OPGS]
Members
50 posts
13,680 battles

Depends on the ship.. For CVs.. I did co-op. For ships I just didnt want to grind through at all(pepsi) I just did a couple co-op games a day in it and just didnt worry about it. Also.. When you get 19 point captains.. you dont have to pay doubloons to retrain a captain.. Elite Captain XP FTW

[WOLF2]
Members
243 posts
4,355 battles

I won't answer your second question.  I usually only play random, even in stock hulls.  You can level up ships pretty quick to get out of stock.  If a stock hull is really bad, I'll use free xp to get out of it.  For captains, I use 50% and then train on a premium ship, unless I don't have one for that nation.

Edit:  I'll add, I don't play CVs very much because I don't feel its fair to screw my team over for my lack of skill.

Edited by real_icebeast

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,096 battles

Depends what tier you are at.  New players don't have enough FXP to fully upgrade a ship right out of the gate.

Personally, I have enough FXP and credits to fully upgrade from the start, as I refuse to sail stock ships.  If I didn't, I'd play other ships until I gained enough resources to kit it out before the first battle.

I also carry commanders up the line to T10, so I don't have an issue spending doubloons or using elite commander XP to retrain them at each new tier.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles

For me every ship was different but in general I spend some free xp on modules (never on ships) and just grind it out. Since I keep nearly everything I do grind out a new captain on most ships and Random is the best place for it. Yes you are gimped sometimes but not by that much.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,824 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, gatorken said:

What is the consensus on leveling up a new ship?  Do you just run it in Co-Op till all the modules are topped out? Also, if you don't spend the 500 doubloons, do you work the captain to 100% in Co-Op? Or just speed it in Randoms due to the better economy.  Which is the million dollar question why are the economies different from Co-Op to Random?  Why does WG care what you play as long as you play and spend money?

Just play it in randoms, or use free xp gained from your other ships to pay for the modules, 

Pay the 200k to half train them, it's not a lot and does save you a bit of time

Co op vs Random economy, Bots aren't the brightest although they can win from time to time, I guess WG preferred people playing randoms as its a race up the tech tree lines, people might need gold, which they buy, or flags, which they buy, basically I would say people, who play randoms would spend more over those that only played co op, I will have a disclaimer in case I'm wrong and someone wants to argue that point.

Many people at the start of the battle will say they're in a stock ship.  Most people respond with congrats on getting it, so don't be afraid to play it in randoms.

360 posts
194 battles

Similar to others, I Free XP critical modules, and do the 50% training on captain, and run them in a Premium with flags that boost XP across the board, Regular, Free, and Commander.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles
1 hour ago, real_icebeast said:

I won't answer your second question.  I usually only play random, even in stock hulls.  You can level up ships pretty quick to get out of stock.  If a stock hull is really bad, I'll use free xp to get out of it.  For captains, I use 50% and then train on a premium ship, unless I don't have one for that nation.

Edit:  I'll add, I don't play CVs very much because I don't feel its fair to screw my team over for my lack of skill.

Mostly what he said - though I will farm play scenarios for grind ships, too, if they fit the tier requirements.

And I don't play CV's at all, but that's only because I suck at playing them the way they currently work.  (But I did get to tier 6 before making that determination.)

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

This Game is "In My Opinion" Designed to let the Player Drive ships and shoot enemy ships driven by other players

. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. The scenarios are the one mode where you are forced to do the missions as designed.{Good Mode}

Random , Ranked, and even Clan Battles are  a free for all.

The missions are just suggestions, Some try to do the mission some want the damage count.

When I play any mission I try to play  as a team member. Once my team is exposed as a damage fest I go free for all.

Definition of Exposed .... My team turns tail  leaving me to fight  the enemy alone. {Damn Near every game.}

Definition of Free for All ... Doing my own thing selfishly gathering Kills and Damage  for my  benefit.

This reason  alone has made Scenarios the best mode. Even when Playing with {insert foul name here} I get the enjoyment  of a finely defined battle. 

This  is the reason when I grind a new ship to fully upgrade I use the Free Exp to research the modules from Scenarios.

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

If you are willing to pay, the exp flags gives you quite the boost and unlocking modules takes a very few games.

If you don't pay at all. You can still save up all the flags, especially the "special" flags like Ouroboros, and equip all 7 at once with the 8th being detonation flag, and grind through a line within hours.

Using FXP to unlock modules is not optimal. Only took my Baltimore 45 ish games to get to Des Moines with the flags (>60% win rate, higher win rate more efficiency you get out of exp flags).

Edited by NeutralState

[NAVY]
Members
1,007 posts
3,756 battles

Some ships I have used Free XP to upgrade the modules of the ship; so, I wasn't taking a stock ship into battle, but others, I have felt griding out the modules helped to learn how to play her. Once you get to tier 4 or 5, I advise not rushing to get to the next tier unless it is just a ship you don't enjoy playing.

Upgrading a ship in Co-op will, of course, usually take a lot longer than it would if you run it in randoms due to the reduced XP and credit rewards. Why the difference in rewards between Co-Op PvE and Random PvP? You'll have to ask WG on that one, but the prevailing viewpoint among the WoWs community is that winning and succeeding against the bots in Co-Op versus human players in Random battle mode is easier. From my experience, this is the case and the Co-Op matches are usually quicker as well. I can typically play 3 to 4 Co-Op games to 1 Random one. That is not to say you can just go into Co-Op and expect a win every time. You show your broadside to a bot BB or ignore a bot DD, and it'll delete you off the water just as a human player would. But the bots to follow certain patterns of behavior that are predictable after you've played Co-Op several times. I enjoy both battle modes, though, and I've played more Co-Op matches than I have Random in my time in WoWs; although, Operation Scenarios are right up there.

Speaking of the other PvE battle mode, Scenarios (aka Operations), one alternative to Co-Op or Random, specifically for tier 6 ships, is to run the Operations which have more lucrative rewards than standard co-op. Most of the Operation scenarios are tier 6 with the exception of The Ultimate Frontier and Narai, which are tier 7, although Narai is no longer available since update 0.7.2. The Hermes scenario is limited to tier 7 and 8 French BBs and tier 7 American, British, and French cruisers. I used operations to upgrade the tier 6 Cleveland and New Mexico as well as the Leander and Budyonny.

I agree with everyone on using credits to help retrain commanders up to 50% of the way if you are in the habit of moving commanders from one ship to the next tier ship up. Having a premium ship to help retrain commanders helps here, too, but you don't have to have one. You can also use the Zulu Hotel signal flags to help retrain commanders as they give a 50% bonus to commander XP earned in battle. The Dragon and Ouroboros signal flags also give a 333% and 777% bonus to commander XP earned, respectively.

Edited by daVinci761st

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,034 posts

Conventional wisdom for a new ship is that you play coop until you get a feel for how she handles, turns, speed changes, etc., and how her armaments behave, range, dispersion, traverse speed, reload.

You may want to revisit coop when you apply upgrades.

Other than that its your ship. You play her where you want to play.

Sign in to follow this