Sign in to follow this  
Gearhead68

Is this a bug (penetration no damage)

8 comments in this topic

[MOFOS]
Members
37 posts
4,528 battles

Hi, wondering if this is a bug. Happened at the start of the game, and took a shot at another bb at long range with my Texas. Two shots hit, both penetrations (orange ribbon). But zero damage recorded. Since this was the very start of the game I don't see how this could be a damage saturation issue, and you can see from the screenshot that it was an orange penetration, not a bounce, shatter, or over pen. But zero damage shown? Am I missing something?

shot-18.05.01_10.31.11-0054.jpg

Edited by Gearhead68

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

I've heard some noise about these in the past, had usually ignored them as damage saturation events.  

What I will say is that there is a minimum limit that must be reached before the damage counter will come up.  Even then, I am reasonably sure a full penetration (non-overpen) from a Texas AP shell should reach that threshold.  Not to mention two.

Curious to see what folks think and or know.

-R

[BTH]
Members
17 posts
11,618 battles

Have had this happen many times. From what I understand the shell has probably hit a module of some sort. Keep an eye out for the indication that a secondary or AA gun was knocked out.

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles

If it hasn’t changed, penetration of torpedo protection counts as a pen but doesn’t penetrate the actual hull so does 0 damage. Also if you hit modules and stuff like that it is possible to not do enough damage to destroy the module but “pen” it. It just depends on where and how you hit the target.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

So, from what I've heard, different modules on the ship (ship segments, as well as AA guns, secondaries etc) have different health pools. The ship's health pool we see displayed in-game is the sum of the ship segments health pools. This means that if a ship segment runs out of health (is 'saturated') then doing more damage to it no longer damages the ship's health. It also means that you can hit, penetrate and do damage to other health pools on a ship, such as the AA guns and secondaries, but because these aren't part of the ship's overall health pool, no damage is displayed. This is probably what happened to you in that screenshot.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

Had a bunch of these on a full health Lyon bot in Co-Op..   I was in a Normandie.

My shots were all pen (0 damage), overpen, and richochet.  I hit reverse, focused secondaries, and typed in chat to the Mogami to go ahead and torp the thing.

It didn't even notice the Mogami since it had already knocked me down to 1/4 health and I was burning.

8 Mogami torpedoes put a dent in it (more like a sledge hammer to aluminum foil)

Then I turned my turrets and single-shotted a New York.

Seems to be a new twist to Troll RNG.

[MOFOS]
Members
37 posts
4,528 battles

OK, got it, thx guys!

As a side note to devs, maybe a better post-battle indicator or ribbon system showing module damage.... so we don't have to guess what eff is going on?

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles

No, but it is the most annoying mechanic in the game. You did damage to a module's HP pool, but not the ship itself, so it counts as 0 damage. 

Example: Your shell penetrated and detonated inside of a secondary armament turret. It didn't destroy the module, because the penetration damage wasn't enough to deplete its HP pool, but the secondary turret contained the damage and it did not transfer to the ship's HP pool. You get the penetration ribbon because the shell detonated inside the ship, but zero damage because it did so in an area that's independent of the ships main HP pool. 

Modules that can cause this:

-Torpedo bulge (The usual culprit) 

-Secondary turrets

-Main battery turrets

-Torpedo launchers

-AA modules

-Steering gear

-Engine module (These are usually citadel hits though. I think the props are part of the module too and outside the citadel, but I don't know.)

Sign in to follow this