You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Reconsidering my previous stance re: Asashio in ranked

48 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles

Initially. I felt that the Asashio was the single worst ship for ranked play. I wish to recant: Asashio is not the single worst. That distiction belongs to Lexington. Asashio is the worst non-cv ship, but the overall worst remains the Lex. 

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Hey, my Lexington team won a game over the weekend against a team with a Shokaku.

I will artfully omit that the Lexington had been snoozing with the fishies for ten minutes by the time we won, but hey.

Very Helpfully,

-R

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,096 battles
8 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Hey, my Lexington team won a game over the weekend against a team with a Shokaku.

I will artfully omit that the Lexington had been snoozing with the fishies for ten minutes by the time we won, but hey.

Very Helpfully,

-R

Actually, my last T8 Ranked battle was with a Lex on our team, countered by a Shokaku on the reds.  He handily outplayed the Shokaku, even though everyone in chat was mentioning how good the Shokaku player was in the opening moments of the battle.  He definitely got my compliment and respect.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,228 battles

My favorite is when the red team has 2 Asahios and my team has a Benson (me) and a Kag... and there's only one BB per team. 

Such fun... well... for my team. 

• Funny 3

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,771 posts
6,976 battles

A well played Lex is a rare thing, but a well played Lex is a force to be reckoned with, in ranked as elsewhere.

as for Asashio, I can't see the point of anyone taking them into ranked. perhaps that extrza concealment, but it makes for very passive play.

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Awesome to know there are capable players out there who still take Lex out.  That ship is one of the first goals I had in this game, back in 2015.  I am still topped out on Independence with no real progress to speak of.

I will give the Lex skipper from my earlier post credit; he was pinched by the red team's two DDs.  His sacrifice made certain the two red destroyers were completely out of the game until their BBs and CAs were sunk, and they were next to go.

-R

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

So far I've seen 1 Asashio in Ranked.

He was trying to push in my cap. Loyang hydro stopped him of course.

He got away, but I blind torped him via RPF towards the end of the battle.

Pretty sure he was last place.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,681 battles

Negative, wait till you get to rank 10 and you're going to love the Midway and Hakuryu!   LOL

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles

It would really help the Asashio if the devs would have given her a second torp option, perhaps the same torps as the Harekaze has.  Regular IJN torps, but not the best torps that a Kagero could mount, so that if someone really wanted to run an Asashio in ranked (because it's an IJN premium into which they could dump their 19 point Shimmy captain), they could do it without nearly as much risk.  But no, the Asashio is just a super-high risk, one trick pony that's totally dependent on MM for its ability to contribute to the team's damage production.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles

Please don't turn this into another dull Asashio thread. Please. 

This is about the Lexington and how badly it sucks in ranked. 

Thanks.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
19 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Negative, wait till you get to rank 10 and you're going to love the Midway and Hakuryu!   LOL

Exactly why I have zero interest in Ranked battles this season, at least for rank 10 and above.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
3 minutes ago, legozer said:

Thanks.

If it was about the Lexington, you should have said Lexington rather than Asashio in the thread title.  :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles

No, you should have actually bothered to read the OP before posting your boring, already-THOROUGHLY-covered, off-topic crap to this thread.

• Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
5 minutes ago, legozer said:

No, you should have actually bothered to read the OP before posting your boring, already-THOROUGHLY-covered, off-topic crap to this thread.

Actually, I did read the OP, legozer.  Completely.  I just happened to prefer talking about the Asashio to the Lexington.  Deal with it.

I understand thoroughly what you're saying about the Lex relative to other tier 8 CVs.  To me, there's nothing there to discuss at all.  We all know that it's the worst t8 CV currently in the game, though once in a while a skilled Lex player can beat a different CV.  But we also know that those instances are rare, because good CV players would prefer to bring a better CV to Ranked if given a choice.

[INTEL]
Members
638 posts
7,548 battles
59 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Actually, my last T8 Ranked battle was with a Lex on our team, countered by a Shokaku on the reds.  He handily outplayed the Shokaku, even though everyone in chat was mentioning how good the Shokaku player was in the opening moments of the battle.  He definitely got my compliment and respect.

Was this last night?  Sounds like the same battle I was in.  The Lex sent planes to C Cap and spotted for my Kidd and I complimented him  on supporting my solo push.  Someone mentioned the Shokaku driver seemed to be good (stats lookup?)   Shokaku sent planes to C Cap and I shot down two and he ran.

We won.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Actually, I did read the OP, legozer.  Completely.  I just happened to prefer talking about the Asashio to the Lexington.  Deal with it.

I understand thoroughly what you're saying about the Lex relative to other tier 8 CVs.  To me, there's nothing there to discuss at all.  We all know that it's the worst t8 CV currently in the game, though once in a while a skilled Lex player can beat a different CV.  But we also know that those instances are rare, because good CV players would prefer to bring a better CV to Ranked if given a choice.

There are about 177 other Asashio threads you could have polluted. I don't think you read the OP.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles
1 minute ago, NeutralState said:

Asashitio

I'm furious.

[NUWES]
Members
1,651 posts
5,551 battles

Asashio really needs the 5 BB meta in normal to have a chance of being worthwhile. If you have a ranked match with only 1 or 2 BBs for example on a big map, Asashio is nearly useless. It can really only spot and cap, and even then only if the other team lets it. Lexington is a CV, it will always be useful for DD spotting and some damage even if it can't protect against the other CV's planes. It's just that any other CV would probably be better. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,387 posts
3,875 battles
48 minutes ago, legozer said:

Thanks.

To be fair, people whine about US carriers in every ranked season, so this thread is nothing new, original, or clever.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
5 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

To be fair, people whine about US carriers in every ranked season, so this thread is nothing new, original, or clever.

What else is new?

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
2 hours ago, legozer said:

There are about 177 other Asashio threads you could have polluted. I don't think you read the OP.

I don't appreciate being called a liar.  I most certainly DID read your OP because I was curious what caused you to reconsider your opinion of the Asashio in Ranked.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
2 hours ago, legozer said:

I'm furious.

You sure that you're not Glorious or Courageous?  :Smile_hiding:

Spoiler

For those that don't get it, that's a pun based on the names of the Royal Navy's Courageous class battlecruiser names, i.e. Courageous, Furious, and Glorious.

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,387 posts
3,875 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You sure that you're not Glorious or Courageous?  :Smile_hiding:

Hide contents

For those that don't get it, that's a pun based on the names of the Royal Navy's Courageous class battlecruiser names, i.e. Courageous, Furious, and Glorious.

He certainly isn't Victorious.  :Smile_hiding:

Edited by KiyoSenkan