Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

How do I boost the ketchup out of my secondaries in lower tiers?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
363 posts
2,175 battles

I'd say the best tier for a BB to actually go on hunting DDs are tier V to VI. Fuso is absolutely a monster when countering DDs. Most DDs can't survive my 1 HE + 1AP salvo combination.

However I'm trying to have some fun at tier III, and... my main guns are just useless against DDs. It constantly overpen and the head on pen doesn't do as much damage. 

Another thing I noticed is that the 2ndaries are pretty inaccurate. My rounds fly all over the place except landing on enemy DDs. 

What shall I do? 

On a related question: should I take MFC or AFT? Or HE ap boost so I can do more damage with my mainguns?

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,996
[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
1 minute ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

my main guns are just useless against DDs. It constantly overpen and the head on pen doesn't do as much damage. 

Against destroyers, load HE. The amount of damage you can do isn't the issue; overpenetration of AP is the issue, and using HE will fix this.

Expert Loader (1-point skill) halves the time it takes to switch between them.

Watch the minimap, keep your distance from destroyers, and try to engage them at ranges where you can reliably hit but from which their torpedoes cannot reach you.

Stay behind your cruisers and destroyers, but at a range where you can easily cover and assist them with your gunfire.

Manual fire control for secondaries really only has a beneficial effect at Tier VII and up.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,857
[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,668 posts
3,924 battles

Hold control, clicky target? Or is that just habitual for me these days? And yes HE at lower tiers against DD likely better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,468
[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles
30 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

What does that do?

It designates a priority target for your secondaries, or your AA if you do the same to an aircraft/squadron.  I don't know how much this really improves the effectiveness of AA/secondaries, particularly at lower tiers.  I always manually designate a target for my secondaries and/or AA, but I would like to know some facts on what affect this has without the specific captain skills.

Speaking of captain skills, "Manual Fire Control" for either AA or secondaries (one for each), boosts each pretty significantly.  They are 4 pt skills, however.  I use "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament" for my Bismarck/Tirpitz/Scharnhorst captain.

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
671
[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I'd say the best tier for a BB to actually go on hunting DDs are tier V to VI

There is so much wrong with this statement, always remember as a BB you are the prey, it's the DD that is the hunter, you are being stalked as soon as the battle starts

 

1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Most DDs can't survive my 1 HE + 1AP salvo combination

Most  decent DD players would never let you see them for you to even shoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,685
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,844 posts
11,546 battles

Manuel secondary skill for anything below t7 is a waste of points (may be an argument that is a waste for any tier).

Secondaries are fun but not efficient, I would not suggest relying on them,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23
[WOLF4]
Members
171 posts
2,860 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

It designates a priority target for your secondaries, or your AA if you do the same to an aircraft/squadron.  I don't know how much this really improves the effectiveness of AA/secondaries, particularly at lower tiers.  I always manually designate a target for my secondaries and/or AA, but I would like to know some facts on what affect this has without the specific captain skills.

Bottom of page.  A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus. The Manual Control for Anti-Aircraft captain skill gives a +100% DPS bonus to AA guns of 85 mm or larger against a manually designated target.

 

  • Mechanics:  If there are multiple targets on one side of a ship, the nearest target will be automatically selected. Captains can hold CTRL and left click with their mouse to to focus an enemy target for their secondary battery; this will order the guns to focus that target regardless of range. Unlike anti-aircraft guns, selecting a focus target for the secondary battery provides no bonuses of any type. (The commander skill Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armamentchanges this mechanic. See below for more information.)
  • If there are targets on both sides of a ship, the guns on each side will engage the nearest target. Only one target can be manually selected, regardless of which side of the ship they are on.

The WIKI is a good read sometimes :)

Edited by ZaCLoNer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
6 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Secondaries are a meme

Pretend they dont exist 

I thats what the f der said when i killed them with my secondarys in a kiev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26
[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles
4 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I'd say the best tier for a BB to actually go on hunting DDs are tier V to VI. Fuso is absolutely a monster when countering DDs. Most DDs can't survive my 1 HE + 1AP salvo combination.

However I'm trying to have some fun at tier III, and... my main guns are just useless against DDs. It constantly overpen and the head on pen doesn't do as much damage. 

Another thing I noticed is that the 2ndaries are pretty inaccurate. My rounds fly all over the place except landing on enemy DDs. 

What shall I do? 

On a related question: should I take MFC or AFT? Or HE ap boost so I can do more damage with my mainguns?

Somehow I don't think you've run across a good Clemson driver yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
471
[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,390 posts
5,086 battles
25 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Secondaries are a meme

Pretend they dont exist 

This is the best advice if you want to play optimally.

Secondary builds below tier VII aren't good even if you want to play for fun, because of the combination of poor range and garbage manual fire control. Secondaries on certain ships at tier VII and up can be fun but, again, not optimal.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,225
[WOLF3]
Members
6,439 posts
2,396 battles
8 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Speaking of captain skills, "Manual Fire Control"... boosts each pretty significantly. 

That is true above Tier 6.  Down at T3, the effect is minimal and not worth the 4 points.  (And remember, it also prevents auto-fire against non-designated targets.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,225
[WOLF3]
Members
6,439 posts
2,396 battles

Just in case no one else can read white-on-white text.

5 hours ago, ZaCLoNer said:

Bottom of page.  A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus. The Manual Control for Anti-Aircraft captain skill gives a +100% DPS bonus to AA guns of 85 mm or larger against a manually designated target.

  • Mechanics:  If there are multiple targets on one side of a ship, the nearest target will be automatically selected. Captains can hold CTRL and left click with their mouse to to focus an enemy target for their secondary battery; this will order the guns to focus that target regardless of range. Unlike anti-aircraft guns, selecting a focus target for the secondary battery provides no bonuses of any type. (The commander skill Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armamentchanges this mechanic. See below for more information.)
  • If there are targets on both sides of a ship, the guns on each side will engage the nearest target. Only one target can be manually selected, regardless of which side of the ship they are on.

The WIKI is a good read sometimes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×