You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Darthvader_9

Detonating friendly "OOPS" torps

13 comments in this topic

[RE]
Members
485 posts
18,106 battles

So I was thinking, ok many of you will think that's a new experience for me

What about we could have a function when that moment pops up when you launch torps and see a friendly moving in, most of us if not all had this happened before,

hit the detonate button and the torps detonate,

I think it could make the game more fun cause winning games when people torp 1 another isn't a great win in my books.

So lastly if the launcher don't detonate the torps it might be he wanted to Tk the player so in this case the penalties should be much harsher

Please don't shoot the messenger :Smile_hiding:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,225 posts
4,189 battles

Unfortunately this is a game that models technology from 1900 to 1945, and torpedoes back then just couldn't do that sort of thing.

So sorry, no. Not in this game.

• Cool 2

[RE]
Members
485 posts
18,106 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unfortunately this is a game that models technology from 1900 to 1945, and torpedoes back then just couldn't do that sort of thing.

So sorry, no. Not in this game.

true but radars could not go through mountains either and like you quoted its a game so anything is possible

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,824 posts
11,180 battles

Give me my homing DW torps on the Asashio now!!

But on a serious note, It would be funny shooting torps at friendlies only to detonate them before they hit, maybe the splash effect from the detonation should be able to put fires out.

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,762 battles
51 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

torpedoes back then just couldn't do that sort of thing.

Torpedoes now just don't do that sort of thing.  Most of the time they flood and just sink to the bottom, wherever that may be.

Agreed, though; no.  Not killing your allies is, believe it or not, a skill which should be developed.  I've been my share of pink and each time I learned something from it.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
True Fact #2402: Kites have evolved hive sentience and are only monitoring humanity before choosing their moment to strike.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
24,981 battles

I like the OP’s idea. You have to take action to disable torps which might hit a friendly.  Those torps also lose the potential of hitting enemies, unless your friendly is behind the enemy ship. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,225 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Torpedoes now just don't do that sort of thing. 

I know, but in a modern wire-guided torpedo it would at least be POSSIBLE to send a detonation command if you still have the wire or to arrange for some sort of sonar IFF. 

Members
4,530 posts
6,417 battles

OP with all due respect torping, as has been stated, is a SKILL.  If you got a team that torps team mates that is just too bad. May sound harsh but that is the way it is and IRL in WWII it was not possible to detonate a torp once launched. Your idea has some merit but it's just too arcady for me. Game is arcade enough as it is IMO. Sooooo, be careful when launching torps. Lots of players have proposed things to make it EASIER in this game. I tend not to agree with most of those kinda proposals. Carry on! 

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,931 battles

Detonating Torps would be bad for several reasons, not only the fact they were not from WWI-WWII, but also imagine those times when a ship has successfully dodged Toros and they are running along either side of the ship and the enemy detonated them. In very least it would result in damaged Rudder and engines, or would added some HP damage as well.

If you are worried about hitting allied ships with torpedoes just do what the rest of us have to do and simply be careful.

• Cool 1