You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

Ranked is a Sham

48 comments in this topic

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,861 battles

Why is level 15, 3 stars, or 3 sub-levels?

Why not make it single elimination single level?

You get stuck with a s++t team and flounder on half a dozen battles to progress to a level that throws you back after a huge expense of flags and consumables.

These stars are ridiculous.  One level, one fight.  That's it.

Edited by Sinton
  • Cool 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,652 posts
3,924 battles

If you have a +50% WR in randoms there shouldn't be a problem. You'd eventually get there.

Might be your ship selection, or your playstyle with said ship in comparison to 12 screwballs vs 7.

Carry harder bro.

[WORX]
Members
1,825 posts
12,872 battles

Ranked is not for the faint of heart. IF you know how to grind like you don;t have a job/responsibilities and/or you're in the southern hemisphere winter habernating in you home PC. Then you will eventually get to the top rank. If not, recommend getting rank 10 and stop. Cheers!

[WOLFB]
Members
1,723 posts
8,237 battles

Ranked especially in WOW is more about how much frustration are you willing to endure before getting whatever you're looking for. Last season I was really happy when they announced T8 ranked but then I realized ranked is just a saltier version of random. You find the same potato team mate but because it's ranked (and because they don't know they are the ones throwing away victory) they are starting to report you for whatever reason and giving up saying trash team are uncarriable.

Our clan leader spent a lot of time playing his Atago and managed to make his way to rank one, great for him but the rewards you get are not enough to make me play in this Saltier Random mode.  This season will probably become worst than the previous one because starting R10 I think, it's T10. You will have to endure even more salt from your "allies" and if you happens to lose, you will most likely lose money. 

I think you should just grind your ship, play with whatever you like and try having fun. Wait for new lines to come, play some CB if you want but stay away from Ranked if you want to keep your sanity. 

[DKM]
Members
113 posts
14,540 battles

The most frustrating thing in this season is the reward for veteran players. I now I am a minority here but after the black you get nothing for multiple ranking out and the rewards got worse with every season for the challenge that is rank 1. If the flag has a small boni for multiple ranking outs I would not complain but now it is just a blank with a 5 on it, what I can achieve for this season.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Seeing as I dont get unlimited hours to dump into the game, I generally only manage a few games a night if at all. I just set a reasonable goal for myself. The last several seasons that's been to hit R10 and leave it at that. I've made it to R14 so far in about 10 games with only a few losses thrown into the mix.

I've been getting there with a real lack of salt and actually enjoy ranked now that I'm not telling myself I have to rank out and get angry with teams as a consequence.

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
3 hours ago, Sinton said:

You get stuck with a s++t team and flounder on half a dozen battles to progress to a level that throws you back after a huge expense of flags and consumables.

The real problem is only 1 guy on the losing team keeps a star. If you assume you're going to get potatoes most of the time on your team, it's a safe bet to just play for yourself and try to get stop score. Guess what everyone does?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

It could be worse, make it so from level 15 you have to win 10 stars and so on.

9 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

The real problem is only 1 guy on the losing team keeps a star.

They should take that away, if you lose, you lose as a team ( this was loosely said )

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,401 posts
9,529 battles
3 hours ago, Sinton said:

Welcome to your first season of Ranked?  If R15 irks you, just wait to see what you still have in store.  More stars per rank (up to 5), and no more irrevocable rank safety nets after R10.  The Ranked grind doesn't even truly begin until R10.  So, buckle up and prepare yourself for the frustration.  Good luck.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

It could be worse, make it so from level 15 you have to win 10 stars and so on.

They should take that away, if you lose, you lose as a team ( this was loosely said )

I think it should go the other way and the top 3 should keep a star then you have more incentive to work as a team at least with 2 other people.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
548 posts
6,157 battles

People who choose rank, choose it not because it i easy. Rather, they choose it because it is difficult. 

• Cool 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
7 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

the top 3 should keep a star

No reward of keeping your star for losing, you either work as a team, right at the start, or you don't

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
609 posts
4,809 battles

Rank is not designed to be easy. Its meant to bring the salt out, as you have an ad-hoc team that has to try and work together.

It is fun though, but if you think the stars at rank 15 are bad, 10-2/1 there are more stars, plus no bonus star for entering a new rank tier. Its a long 40 stars to earn to get to rank 1. Time and patience get you there though.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Played a couple games..   Collected my flags...  

In my alt account, I actually carried my dead team to a win on one battle.  Four caps in one battle is a new ranked record for me.

The other win, my team finally assisted me after I lit the enemy Lo Yang up with hydro for 2 minutes.

No..  This is too tough when I'm the only one engaged.  These folks are mindlessly grinding..  I'm sitting this season out.

----

Besides, I have a downstairs bathroom to build.  Let's see..  Do I want that room finished, or do I want to rank out?

Hmmmm..  decisions... decisions...

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

I play the odd game of ranked, get to rank 9 or 10, I'm happy with that

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Rank has more to do with perseverance and less to do with skill..

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Ranked has become more painful with the move of making rank 10 irrevocable.  So many terrible players have now found themselves in the 10 to 5 bracket.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,074 battles

So far so good for me. Almost no salt and I'm having a good time. Kiev got me to rank 10 much quicker than expected and now I'm back to playing my Khab, which I would be doing anyway, so why not do it in ranked? Less enemies to focus fire me. 

[FACT]
Members
401 posts
3,935 battles

This is my 3rd season giving Ranked a go. I enjoy the smaller teams over Random, but it makes teamwork all the more important.

First time Season 7, T6 ships, I made it to Rank 11 and 2 stars. I had many fun games and enjoyable games. Never could get the win I needed to reach Rank 10 which was my goal. The teams/ players were just getting horrible. So I took it as I found my skill ceiling and called it good.

Second time, Season 8, T8 ships, made it to Rank 12 and 1 star. Again, game play, ship types at T8, teams/ players, I found I had hit my ceiling once again and called it a wrap. I found just like in Random, I can have some strong games in my US and German BB's and still never win the battle. Here's looking at you Alabama with a 20% Ranked Win rate...sigh...

This season, I have played (1) game, Rank 17 and 1 star. T8 simply does not excite me enough to want to play Ranked. The fact they also made Rank 10 the last Irrevocable Rank, nope. Not a reason to change it from Rank 12 like in the past, IMO. Everyone gets the 4-6 game losing streak before WG blesses (opps, mean RNG's) you with a win to sucker you into playing more. I even have a brand new Chappy and Charles Martel to play, but not the desire. Back to back seasons of the same tier. No thanks.

WG, I appreciate this season of ranked, but it holds no interest for me. Bummed about that really.

My opinion on Ranked and the Stars earned/ lost: I believe you either win as a team, or you lose as a team. There should be no star "awarded" to the top finisher on the losing team. WG should really look into doing away with it to encourage better game play.

To those who will attack the grind, good luck. Cheers!

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles

I've been rationing my playing to 5 games a day. It cuts down on the frustration. I decided to play dd's since that ship type has the biggest impact on the game. So far so good. 25 games and I'm at rank 12. Get to 10, celebrate, and then go to 3.  

Edit: Celebrate some more then aim for 1. 

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Members
1,936 posts

Pro tip

Ranked tried to mirror types and classes as well as possible,  so don't play what you want, play what youre best at, more likely to save stars that way.

I.e Id prefer to play BBs but, relative to other players, I'm  a much better CL player than BB player, so I play my CL.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,444 posts
11,731 battles

After 2 clan war season's, I have vastly improved my "Team" play. Unfortunately, I still see solo "artists" trying to play ranked.

When a group of 7 work together it is magic.

When 2 or more try to win the match, it is a disastrous wreck.

The 3 points to winning a match:

Stay together to support each other.

Control the map and enemy vision of map.

Stay alive.

[RKLES]
Members
7,197 posts
8,955 battles
5 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Ranked especially in WOW is more about how much frustration are you willing to endure before getting whatever you're looking for. Last season I was really happy when they announced T8 ranked but then I realized ranked is just a saltier version of random. You find the same potato team mate but because it's ranked (and because they don't know they are the ones throwing away victory) they are starting to report you for whatever reason and giving up saying trash team are uncarriable.

Our clan leader spent a lot of time playing his Atago and managed to make his way to rank one, great for him but the rewards you get are not enough to make me play in this Saltier Random mode.  This season will probably become worst than the previous one because starting R10 I think, it's T10. You will have to endure even more salt from your "allies" and if you happens to lose, you will most likely lose money. 

I think you should just grind your ship, play with whatever you like and try having fun. Wait for new lines to come, play some CB if you want but stay away from Ranked if you want to keep your sanity. 

I would like to add that this season will also be about how many credits you are willing to burn as well since tier 8 can sometimes be costly, but X certainly is especially when running some Premium Consumables which tend to be vital to improving scores, but at the same time in a Ranked grind it gets tough.

Which is why I have stopped after getting my 250 Doubloons, instead I am doing a grind for the next Ranked in which I hope will be be tier 6 or 7. Lol with Wargaming doing the current crazy Ranked season at least I have a lot more time to prep for the next season.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,581 battles

Yes. We know it is. The only winning move has been to not play. Season 3 was the last “fun” season. 

Just grind out your T8 cruisers or whatever else you have. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

I tried a couple of games, won one, lost one, picked up a few credits. Got to thinking the meta isn't for me this time round - I was too new to the ship I'm using (Edinburgh) and would probably be a liability.

I might try again in a couple of weeks if I feel a little more confident in my ability to stay alive and contribute. For now I am working my way through those Yamamoto and Honourable Service missions to which my ship is best suited (or least unsuited!). Progress in that should be faster once the Cleveland moves up and I have a ship with HE shells in the  main guns.