You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

What dd do you take into a Ranked Battle?

33 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles

My first season in Ranked.  I'm driving a Benson with a 16 pt captain.  I have been surprisingly successful in her given that she is a new ship for me (46K ship HP) and this is my very first foray into Ranked battles.  In previous posts, I have asked about Radar ships, so I'm VERY sensitive to where they are -which helps.  I'm thinking that the red team focuses on the Fletchers and other Tier IX dds and tend to dismiss the lowly Bensons?

Anyway, am enjoying the play and wanted to get your thoughts on your favorite dd to take into a Random battle.  What dd do you take and why?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles

For me, the HSF Harekaze and the Kagero for ranked. Great stealth, good torps, good speed and maneuverability. Guns are good and passable respectively. I pulled the Akizuki out for a match, and found her too big and clunky to play around in caps.

For Random's the Yugumo and the Shimakaze. The Yugumo (12 km torps) for all the same reasons I use the Kagero in ranked, ninja DD is fun to play. I like the Shimakaze (12km torps) as a flanker and going down the side of the enemy spotting, turning BB's, ect... She's a little clumsy for contested capping. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,340 posts
14,832 battles

Akizuki brought me screaming to T10.  You partner with a loyang and you can take any cap.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
3 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Akizuki brought me screaming to T10.  You partner with a Loyang and you can take any cap.

My problem was, I didn't have the Loyang to partner with, they did. I gave up on ranked after hitting 15 so I'd get my flag that I'll never fly. Not worth the frustration of carrying potato byproduct that bought their tier 8's, yet have tier 4 skills.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Anyway, am enjoying the play and wanted to get your thoughts on your favorite dd to take into a Random battle.  What dd do you take and why?

Oops, I was asking for your favorite dd in a RANKED battle -sorry about that.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles
29 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

For me, the HSF Harekaze and the Kagero for ranked.

A Harekaze/Benson wolfpack should make the red team shudder.  We devastated the C cap during a recent battle 

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles
31 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Akizuki brought me screaming to T10.  You partner with a loyang and you can take any cap.

Agreed.  Met an Akizuki/Loyang team and tried to  use my Benson "sea mines" to chase them away (no Joy).  Got my dander up and opened up with guns.  Needless to say, it didn't end up well for me.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
1 minute ago, AMajor said:

A Harekaze/Benson wolfpack should make the red team shudder.  We devastated the C cap during a recent battle 

Both the HSF Harekaze and Kagero partner well. I don't have a Benson, but it looks like it's maneuverable enough to cause trouble.

[RLGN]
Members
8,241 posts
17,222 battles

Akizuki.

Worked great for me last season; not so much this time.

35 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

My problem was, I didn't have the Loyang to partner with, they did. I gave up on ranked after hitting 15 so I'd get my flag that I'll never fly. Not worth the frustration of carrying potato byproduct that bought their tier 8's, yet have tier 4 skills.

Same here. 15 games, R19 to R15, 7 wins, 8 losses. Two days and I'm done. See you in season 1o.

[RED2]
Members
107 posts
6,604 battles

The Kidd is quite insanely good for ranked. It can take any other DD head on in a one on one fight (though you may need to stop to heal a couple time if its an Akizuki). Its fast, has good guns,  has the AA is best in tier if you spec for it and have defensive fire running (which is useful for swatting catapult planes even without a CV), is pretty damn stealthy, and of course it has that heal. The only real downside is that it has torpedo launcher of rather average torps. If you use your particular set of skills well enough you can eliminate all the enemy DDs early on and give your team a huge advantage and then just spend the rest of the match getting spotting damage and controlling the caps.

Members
3,758 posts
13,982 battles

I've been using Lo Yang. 25 battles with her so far and have been doing pretty good. I use the 6.7 km torps, not much range but they hit hard and reach the target PDQ. Teaming up with a Benson or Kidd works great.

I have Kidd too but I don't do very well with her in Randoms so I wont drive her in ranked.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
28 posts
7,474 battles

25 battles in my Lo Yang to get to ranked 10.  Its a solid ship with the hydro, as long as there is no radar/hydro on the other side near me I just pop smoke and [edited] the dd I am dueling, if they launch torps I see them instantly.

[SEC_8]
Members
140 posts
3,493 battles

I already have my Gearing and z-52, so I used the tier 8 portion of ranked to level up my HsienYang and Kagaro.  Sadly, I hit the tier 10 portion already and wish that I had more time in the lower gameplay...  I guess it will all turn out for the better because the credit grind for those ships is way harder than the xp grind...

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,663 battles

Loyang, the undisputed king of DD for T8 ranked.  Its the ideal predator to get top 1 most of the time.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles

Akizuki/HSF Harekaze. I have Lo Yang, but captain skills are too low to be viable. So far, pretty happy with Akizuki; it does pretty well against Benson players.

1,542 posts
26 battles

I don't often play Destroyers but I do play a little with Fletcher. She has quick reload so I just fire torps and run away

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,409 battles

Kidd. She doesn’t have the loyang hydro but dem guns and heals. I bow tanked a dd hiding in smoke dodging torps then there she is. Tried to ram me but dem guns took her out. Heal. Went to kill another dd

Edited by wstugamd

[BBP]
Members
334 posts
4,312 battles

I have mostly used Kiev and Loyang.  Kiev was working fine at first.  In the first ranks DDs were willing to engage with Kiev which ended very badly for them.  But in the 2nd league players are wiser and DDs usually spot Kiev while their cruiser pal blasts it.  So I mostly use Loyang in the 2nd league.

Members
243 posts
On 4/30/2018 at 10:24 PM, Chimera2 said:

The Kidd is quite insanely good for ranked. It can take any other DD head on in a one on one fight (though you may need to stop to heal a couple time if its an Akizuki). Its fast, has good guns,  has the AA is best in tier if you spec for it and have defensive fire running (which is useful for swatting catapult planes even without a CV), is pretty damn stealthy, and of course it has that heal. The only real downside is that it has torpedo launcher of rather average torps. If you use your particular set of skills well enough you can eliminate all the enemy DDs early on and give your team a huge advantage and then just spend the rest of the match getting spotting damage and controlling the caps.

Agreed.  Once you learn to play against the Loyang (e.g. angle into caps so you can kite away without firing until beyond hydro then circle back) the Kidd is the better ship.  The Loyang is a one-trick-pony.  The Kidd's ability to punish enemy DDs (who cannot heal), pull back, heal, and keep doing this all game is huge.  And, being able to negate CV planes is a bonus.  There is good reason the Kidd was limited release and the Loyang is still for sale.  However, many Kidd players lack the discipline to know when to pull back and heal. And, sometimes you have to play conservative for 2 heals to get back in the thick.  If you lack discipline the Loyang is the better boat.

Edited by nhf

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
24,981 battles
13 hours ago, nhf said:

Agreed.  Once you learn to play against the Loyang (e.g. angle into caps so you can kite away without firing until beyond hydro then circle back) the Kidd is the better ship.  The Loyang is a one-trick-pony.  The Kidd's ability to punish enemy DDs (who cannot heal), pull back, heal, and keep doing this all game is huge.  And, being able to negate CV planes is a bonus.  There is good reason the Kidd was limited release and the Loyang is still for sale.  However, many Kidd players lack the discipline to know when to pull back and heal. And, sometimes you have to play conservative for 2 heals to get back in the thick.  If you lack discipline the Loyang is the better boat.

I’m glad to read this. Other players do really well in Lo Yang, but the firepower seems really anemic with only 4 rifles and the torps are lame. Slow and much lower damage than Benson, let alone other T8 DDs. When I switched to the Kidd I moved up to Rank 10 quickly. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,931 battles

Yeah Harekaze can be major force for anyone fortunate enough to be able to get one.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Beta Testers
1,834 posts
10,762 battles
On 5/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, WolfofWarship said:

I don't often play Destroyers but I do play a little with Fletcher. She has quick reload so I just fire torps and run away

You can't take Fletcher to ranked this season since it's T9. But Kidd is a good substitute.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:05 AM, SgtBeltfed said:

For me, the HSF Harekaze and the Kagero for ranked. Great stealth, good torps, good speed and maneuverability. Guns are good and passable respectively. I pulled the Akizuki out for a match, and found her too big and clunky to play around in caps.

Kagero works well if you know her shortcomings (which are a lot). Know when to and when not to cap is the key. Be the eye of the fleet. Torp when given a chance. Cap when you have support or know the red ships are not around. Stay alive.

Got to R10 exclusively running Kagero in 17 battles. So I know she works.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,420 posts
5,953 battles

Getting back to your actual question (you really should've worded your thread title differently), my favorite destroyer in randoms is almost certainly going to be different than yours--it's a question of play styles, tactics that you're comfortable with, and what tiers your skill level in a given DD will match up with.

For me, personally, my go-to destroyer when I want to de-stress and just have some fun is the Kiev.  I loved its old tier 7 version, and I love the current T8 ship.  It's not quite as great as it once was, as more players have learned how to counter it and there are more high-velocity cruiser guns in the T8 matchmaking spread, but it's still tough to beat being able to fly around the map openly firing on everything you see and watching your potential damage ticker roll.  It also makes for a bit more heart-pumping when circumstances force you to at least attempt an early cap in Kiev.

Honestly, there are very few destroyers which I flat-out disliked, and even most of those become decent with a skilled captain.

[PLPTS]
Members
725 posts

Tier 8

1) Lo Yang

2) Kiev with a AFT trained captain

3) Akizuki with a IFHE trained captain

4) Benson

5) HSF Harekaze with TRB

6) Kagero?

7) Anything else is not advisable

Why is the Benson so low? Because it'll get out-gunned and killed by a LoYang, Kiev, or Akizuki. It's no longer the top dog. It's just adequate for all tasks. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Worst idea ever? The Asashio. It can only hit maybe 3 targets max. If that. And gets out-gunned by a Harekaze ffs. Yet dummies still bring em' in game.

Tier 10

1) Z-52

2) YueYang

3) Gearing

4) Anything else is not advisable

What about the Shimakaze you might ask? Problem is the torpedos are just to easily spotted. BBabies at this tier have finally mastered the art of turning. The ships effectiveness is negated by WASD hax and gunboats.

Why not the Khabarovsk? Because it's too slow in turns and frequently gets nailed by cruisers (Hindenburg, Moskva). It can work, but the Kiev has a slight advantage making it more viable.

Grozovoi? Only if you can predict the future and know when a carrier is in que...

So what wins in ranked? The same bull-crap that wins in everything else. Radar/Sonar boats...

Edited by ElectroVeeDub