You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
457th_FighterGroup

Thoughts on farragut

21 comments in this topic

Members
217 posts
2,039 battles

I've been grinding up the US DD line lately, and from looking at the stats the Farragut seems to be completely inferior to the Nicholas aside from torps. Worse concealment(even though it's a smaller ship) same guns, less hitpoints, same levels of AA, etc. I have the Nicholas fully upgraded and enjoy playing it.

What is the general opinion on this ship? Good or bad?

[SYN]
Members
14,461 posts
10,475 battles

It's well balanced

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
4 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It's well balanced

Yes ... it's a steaming pile in ALL of it's attributes!

Never liked Farragut, loved Nicholas; maybe I just got mad at having to give up 2 torp launchers for an extra 0.9 K range which the ship can't make use of because she adds another kilometer of detection above Nicholas. Farragut has crappy armor, crappy AA, and crappy HP no matter which hull you use.

If Nicholas had Farragut's "B" torps she'd be a monster, because then she could invisitorp. But she doesn't, so she's only great!

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,463 posts
5,655 battles

I enjoyed it more than the Nicholas personally, it's a pretty good tier VI DD. The extra range and speed on the torpedoes lets you use them from longer ranges and shortens the time they travel to the target. The guns are still pretty good for the tier, but like any other USN DD they're rather floaty past 7km or so.

Most people like the hull with the additional gun, but the AA hull with DFAA is still pretty strong against same and lower tier carriers. At tier V-VI you're going to see a fair amount of CVs, so it's not an awful idea to try out the AA hull with DFAA if you're getting irritated by planes.

Overall Farragut is the transition ship from the close-in torpedo style of the Nicholas to the more midrange flanker style that you're going to see for the rest of the USN line.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,590 posts
3,753 battles

Well, you get the extra gun, smaller turning circle and longer ranged torps. Something to consider is that you can stealthtorp with the 6.4 km torpedoes, as long as your opponent is rushing you. The ship size also plays a role in how survivable you are.

[LHG]
Members
1,195 posts
4,986 battles

You're forgetting the substantial RoF buff for the guns and better coverage on torp spreads due to better spread and range.

I loved the Farragut honestly. I still have her in port as a kind of freemium due to the New Year's convoy event.

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,686 battles
31 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

I've been grinding up the US DD line lately, and from looking at the stats the Farragut seems to be completely inferior to the Nicholas aside from torps. Worse concealment(even though it's a smaller ship) same guns, less hitpoints, same levels of AA, etc. I have the Nicholas fully upgraded and enjoy playing it.

What is the general opinion on this ship? Good or bad?

Farragut is the most underrated hilariously OP ship in the hands of a good player in her tier. 

She is a swiss army knife, she's not terribly exceptional in any given trait, but does everything reasonably well. She's the best cap control boat relative to her tier in the game with the possible exception of Z-52. She can carry harder than any other boat I own except for Clemson. She's not as intuitive as some other boats, she has a fairly high skill floor to excel in her (and I don't mean just unicums are good at her, just that you need to adapt to the boat and learn how to get the most out of her.) But her skill ceiling is stratospheric. 

You may not always get the most damage in Farragut, but if you play her right, you'll find ways to win games with her. It's all she does is win, because there's so many different ways to carry with her. 

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
385 posts
23,182 battles

In the proper hands it is an EXCELLENT ship.

[-I-]
[-I-]
Members
85 posts
11,140 battles

Very fun, excellent ship, good gunboat, and can stealth torp if done right as previously stated.

• Cool 1

[DARTH]
Members
537 posts
11,502 battles

Hmm ... I somehow managed 64% in my Farragut, she's a fun boat, you just have to learn to use her strengths.  :)

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles

The Farragut is an acquired taste.  I will be honest, I didn't spend a ton of time with her on my way up (currently doing damage in Ranked battles with the Benson).  I enjoy playing the Sims and the Mahan more (especially since my Sims is set up as an AA dd - SURPRIZE red CV).  It alway bothered me that I didn't play her better, so I've recently gone backwards in the line to learn the lessons that I should have learned if I had been patient.  Here's what I did (you might want to try it):

1) Go back to the lowest tiered USN dd that you have (for me, it's the Clemson).  Play the ship in Co-Op until you can consistently do significant damage and be in the top 3 of your team.

2) Switch to Random and see what you've learned from Co-Op.  Stay there until you are again consistently in the top 3

3) Move to the next tier in your port.  Repeat 1 and 2 above.

Going back down and playing the lower tiered ships have significantly improved my gameplay with my higher tiered ships and it has given me a healthy new respect for the ships that I "skipped" over.  I did not like the Nickolas much the first time I played her.  I have a new respect for her.  She is an excellent ship to practice gunnery and not have to worry about other things until ship is up-tiered in a VII battle and then you play defensive.

One other suggestion.  Play at least one or two other dd lines.  There is no better way to be able to counter a dd in battle than to have played her on the other side.  You have to look inside yourself and find the playstyle that fits you.  If gunplay is your jam, you will enjoy the Russian dd line as they are glorious dedicated gunboats.  If invisibility and torp strikes make you smile, play the IJN line (just be ready that it takes time to have functional guns).  The Pan Asian line is unique with their deep water torps and never ending smoke.  USN dds are gunboats first until mid-tier when they become balanced designs, much like the German dds.  For me , I play the USN, IJN, and Pan Asian dds and I'm getting ready to try those deadly Russian boats.

Within each line, you will find that there are certain ships that you do better in than others because of your play style.  Identify your style and your weaknesses (I tend to stay too long in smoke waiting for my torps to reload - lots of devstrikes but I die too).  Also, decide how you feel on a particular day.  Some days, I want to be a ghost so I play my IJN dds.  Other days, I need to beat other dds into submission (USN).  If I want to go BB hunting, I crank up my Pan Asian dds.

Hope that helps.  I will stick with my Farragut until I'm comfortable with  her like I am with the Nick.   

• Cool 2

1,542 posts
26 battles

Farragut is quite speedy and her torpedoes have decent enough range. A lot of players praise her concealment too. Heard she is an enjoyable #sneakyboat

[IXM]
Members
184 posts
4,155 battles

Also the Farragut has one other thing no one else mentioned. It's the first DD to be able to mount the DFAA consumable (with C hull only). Ever were annoyed by that CV parking their buzzy things over your head preventing you from being all sneaky-beaky? Well fret no more! Equip the Fly Swatter™ consumable right now and make those pesky CVs regret they ever entered the battle!*

*your mileage may vary. CVs not guaranteed with every game.

Edited by Aessaya
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
15 minutes ago, Aessaya said:

Also the Farragut has one other thing no one else mentioned. It's the first DD to be able to mount the DFAA consumable (with C hull only). Ever were annoyed by that CV parking their buzzy things over your head preventing you from being all sneaky-beaky? Well fret no more! Equip the Fly Swatter™ consumable right now and make those pesky CVs regret they ever entered the battle!*

*your mileage may vary. CVs not guaranteed with every game.

I thought the Nicholas could too with the C-hull?

[IXM]
Members
184 posts
4,155 battles
12 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

I thought the Nicholas could too with the C-hull?

No C hull on Nicholas. Only Farragut, Mahan, and Benson get it. Fletcher and Gearing don't have it, but can mount DFAA on stock/B hulls by default. You're probably confusing it with Phoenix/Omaha.

Edit: looks like Nicholas can mount DFAA on B hull. My bad for this one.

Edited by Aessaya

[STW]
[STW]
Members
25 posts
13,504 battles

I play the entire U.S. dd line a lot. Except the Farragut. The affection I have for a full AA spec Nicholas is difficult to measure. It beats down t-4/5/6 planes and will discourage t7 drops with manual AA and proper use of the F**k off button. It's one of the easiest boats in the line to do a full AA spec on due to the fact that it doesn't really detract from any of the ships other superlative skills and you almost always see cvs. The fact that this leaves you with a Full AA spec captain to put on the Kidd is just gravy. I never gave the Farragut much respect. It doesn't have great torp reload, the detection is a little hairy and the HP pool was a couple grand less than the Nick. Clearly, it's a high skill boat and i need to get gudder in it. I'll get on that and return with my results.

-JJ

[STW-M]
Members
2,105 posts
5,907 battles

Farragut is a ship that one has to truly understand to play well. The key to playing it well is as a destroyer hunter and a lurker of the islands.

Unfortunately, I never did figure out how to play it. It just wasn't suited for my tastes, I suppose.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,737 battles

I blew through them both Nicholas and Farragut on my main account but have been helping my cousin go up the US DD line and have found it to be an excellent ship. 

Don't overextend, use cover and smoke to get the most out of your guns and work closely with your team and it is hard to beat.

DxaynB7.jpg

[STW]
[STW]
Members
25 posts
13,504 battles

Played a match tonight in the Farragut for the first time in a long time. Forgot how much fun that boat can be. Same style as the Nick when torping approaching BB's. Just fewer torps. AA wasn't bad either. Just need to buff it a bit.

-JJ

[AK]
[AK]
Members
425 posts
22,445 battles

2837_19_1501809292.jpg

ik this might be VERY rare, but the 127s can do dis to a BB.....would still do a torpedo build on usn DDs.....since groz is the king of aa of any DDs

Spoiler

idk if we should nerf the ap pen on the usn DDs, buff the armor on the usn BBs, or fix the bug ;-)

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

Farragut is the Swiss Army Knife of Tier 6 DDs. It is very nimble. Five rifles fire fast, although with s-l-o-w shells that take a while to adjust to. Even though the torpedo range is 200 meters shorter than Concealment (6.4 vs. 6.6), the torps are surprisingly useful. Islands are your friends, and your smoke lasts forever. And if you go for a full-on AA build you can actually shoot down some planes.

Fubuki and especially Hatsuhara have much better Concealment and 10 km torps, but their guns are wretched. Gnevny and Anshan have much longer effective gun range, and Anshan has 8 km torpedoes. The trade off is less maneuverability, slower reload, and much slower turrets. Ernst Gaede has hydro and can mount 150 mm rifles, but he’s awkward, slow, and has a slow rate of fire. 

It’s odd but players seem to have neglected using smoke to hide teammates since the smoke detection mechanic was introduced. That change made smoke mostly unusable by battleships.  However, cruisers typically have a smoke firing range between 5 and 8 km. Nothing comes close to a USN DD when it comes to laying down smoke that lasts and lasts, although the new Pan Asian DDs can refresh their smoke very fast. Farragut can smoke very effectively for friendly cruisers. Unfortunately, most mid-Tier cruiser players in Random battles today have no clue how to use smoke. Div up with a Cleveland or a Budyonny, figure out what their smoke detection range is, and go create mayhem!  A Sims/Atlanta division can be very potent, especially if there are CVs. 

• Cool 1