Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about Musashi

29 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

Looking at some gameplay and reviews it seems to be OP at tier 9. Is that the impression others have about it? 750,000 free xp is a lot of time and I just want to make sure it's worth the purchase. TIA

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles

It is a Tier X Yamato with horrid AA and slightly less accurate guns, stuffed into Tier IX, and called "Balanced."  Mind you, she isn't invincible.  She has very definite strengths and some weaknesses as well.

It's a broken ship in Tier IX but at the same time, it's not a ship I recommend unless you've played Yamato or seen extensive IX-X BB time.

One of the reasons Musashi does very well statistically, are IMO, a bunch of the early adopters indeed had the right experience.  There are guys on her that have ample time on Yamato herself and know exactly what to do with her.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
1,841 battles

My understanding is that it is a Tier 9.5 or 9.75 ship that is always balanced by a Tier 9 on the enemy team, unless they also have a Musashi.  This makes the team with the Musashi effectively a Tier 10 ship up on the team without the Musashi.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles

If you know how to play Yamato, Musashi, the only thing Musashi truly has to be terrified of are Carriers.  It has to be emphasized how bad that AA on Musashi is.  You have to look at Tier V-VI BBs to see AA this bad, and Musashi as a Tier IX faces the strongest CVs in the game.  The nice thing in Musashi's favor is that CVs are rare, and the Tier IX-X ones are practically extinct.  But if you do see CVs with Musashi, you are worried.  She's like Tirpitz, Roma.  You can try speccing into an AA Build, but the result is so poor that it's not even worth trying.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
31 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Looking at some gameplay and reviews it seems to be OP at tier 9. Is that the impression others have about it? 750,000 free xp is a lot of time and I just want to make sure it's worth the purchase. TIA

She is very worth it. Missouri printed credits, Musashi prints xp. That and it is absolutely hilarious to citadel enemy battleships trying to bow tank.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,855 posts
10,641 battles
24 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It is a Tier X Yamato with horrid AA and slightly less accurate guns, stuffed into Tier IX, and called "Balanced."  Mind you, she isn't invincible.  She has very definite strengths and some weaknesses as well.

It's a broken ship in Tier IX but at the same time, it's not a ship I recommend unless you've played Yamato or seen extensive IX-X BB time.

One of the reasons Musashi does very well statistically, are IMO, a bunch of the early adopters indeed had the right experience.  There are guys on her that have ample time on Yamato herself and know exactly what to do with her.

17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you know how to play Yamato, Musashi, the only thing Musashi truly has to be terrified of are Carriers.  It has to be emphasized how bad that AA on Musashi is.  You have to look at Tier V-VI BBs to see AA this bad, and Musashi as a Tier IX faces the strongest CVs in the game.  The nice thing in Musashi's favor is that CVs are rare, and the Tier IX-X ones are practically extinct.  But if you do see CVs with Musashi, you are worried.  She's like Tirpitz, Roma.  You can try speccing into an AA Build, but the result is so poor that it's not even worth trying.

These ^^^

It is a really good BB but you need some T9-T10 BB experience to get the most out of it and even better if you have Yamato experience. It has a unique playstyle. And as said the AA is just flat out atrocious. God help you if there is a CV in the game (even a bot CV in Co-op). It deals massive damage if you can shoot properly and it earns very well. But it has weakness as HG said and it is not invincible.

IMO it is worth the Free XP. I got it the morning it came out (think I was one of the 1st people on NA server with it) and am happy with doing so. Have Yamato too and enjoy playing both.

[RLGN]
Members
8,265 posts
17,271 battles
51 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Depends on your reserves of fxp.

After fxp-ing to Des Moines like the stupid morronic idiot I was back about Jan ‘15, not spending ANY fxp before Missouri came out made getting it, Nelson, and Musashi easy.

Getting it may also depend on what you define as ‘fun.’

I have five Randoms in Musashi; after that I said ‘to hell with this,’ and have only used it in Co-op ever since. Enough fun for me smashing bots, and I pretty much never lose credits. (For me, if I make even one credit in any game/mode, that’s good enough.)

35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

At work and can’t remember right now if I boosted Mushi’s AA or not...

In any case; I have more trouble from other bots in Co-op than I do from the bot CV. Auto drops and reacting appropriately means they aren’t generally an issue.

As to ‘having the right experience,’ I’ll openly admit I don’t. That and hating high tier games in the first place is pretty much why I’ll only use Musashi (and Missouri for that matter,) in Co-op.

13 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

God help you if there is a CV in the game (even a bot CV in Co-op). It deals massive damage if you can shoot properly and it earns very well. But it has weakness as HG said and it is not invincible.

IMO it is worth the Free XP. I got it the morning it came out (think I was one of the 1st people on NA server with it) and am happy with doing so. Have Yamato too and enjoy playing both.

1st para; Randoms CVs sure, but why Co-op? They annoy me more by forcing me to turn instead of sailing straight to and murdering the CV itself than anything else.

2nd para; once @UltimateNewbie (I think...)   convinced me to get closer and not think attempts at bowpenning were a complete waste of time, using Musashi became fun.

Totally worth it; even if I do only ever use it in Co-op.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

She's slightly OP when there are no CVs in-game, more due to the overmatch advantage than anything else. Still vulnerable to citadels at soft angles due to her armor scheme, still vulnerable to careless broadside baring, and still has the same slow turret traverse as Yamato. Her secondaries and AA are only roughly around T7 level, if not less, so she's also more vulnerable to bold DDs or cruisers going in for a guaranteed torpedo drop than Yamato.

But the moment one CV is present, Musashi is likely to be hugging the nearest AA-heavy ship or else she'll be the first one sunk (and they tend to be sought out first). And a Musashi attempting to avoid being nuked or cross-dropped is effectively one less BB in play; moreso since she, like Yamato, has the slowest turret traverse in the upper tiers, and takes just as much time to bring the guns back on target after an evasion attempt.

So while CVs are mostly a rarity, she's a worthwhile ship to play. But if/when WG gets their CV overhaul out, expect her to spend more time in port or hugging an AA-heavy teammate willing to hang back with her.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

At work and can’t remember right now if I boosted Mushi’s AA or not...

In any case; I have more trouble from other bots in Co-op than I do from the bot CV. Auto drops and reacting appropriately means they aren’t generally an issue.

As to ‘having the right experience,’ I’ll openly admit I don’t. That and hating high tier games in the first place is pretty much why I’ll only use Musashi (and Missouri for that matter,) in Co-op.

It's just that Yamato isn't like a lot of lower tier BBs that can speed around and maneuver.  Yamato and by extension, Musashi are poor in that regard.  Their turret traverse even with Expert Marksman are abysmally bad.  Even GK, Montana, Conqueror can sail, turn, and bring guns to bear.  Yamato-class turrets are SLOW.

Both ships also need to be super-paranoid about that citadel weakness on the forward bow-sides, something you don't worry about in other high tier BBs.

Yamato-class invites a lot static play because that turret traverse and citadel ship kind of warrant it.

The bombers against Musashi is a big concern.  PVP most especially.  In PVP, well, good luck :Smile_glasses: Not even an actual AA Build saves her.  Yamato OTOH, if specced for AA is actually pretty good.  Not Montana good, but she'll take care of herself.  Not so with Musashi.  Like I said, you can spec Musashi into AA if you want, just like Tirpitz, Roma.  But when you look at how much AA you actually get in return for the cost in captain points and upgrades, the performance stinks, just like on Roma, Tirpitz.

Beta Testers
2,462 posts
5,635 battles

My impression? It's a less accurate, worse Yamato. But it's a tier lower, and you can absolutely rofl-stomp tier 7s with it. If there's any carrier presence, you're screwed. Otherwise you're rather durable. Between Musashi and Missouri (if Missouri was still around), I'd take Missouri every time because she's a flat out stronger ship compared to Iowa. Musashi on the other hand is a handicapped Yamato put a tier lower, and the only thing that makes it gives it the OP potential is that lower tier.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ikr, literally EVERY freakin Musashi I see has them pink shell trails, crazy 20km snipes, camo, etc

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I just want to make sure it's worth the purchase.

Then read @LittleWhiteMouse's review of the ship; it's why she makes them.

• Cool 1

[BLUE_]
Members
399 posts
14,376 battles

She's worse than Yamato (that's expected due to tier balance), but still the strongest battleship at tier 9.

Missouri can deal with cruisers, destroyers and carriers better because of radar, higher speed, more accurate guns, citadel that is limited to the waterline and i don't need to mention AA.

In the other hand, a well played Musashi is almost invincible against the average player in WoWs if she's top tier (everytime when i was the top of the food chain with her and there weren't carriers - my Musashi was never in danger of being sunk, even overextending a bit sometimes. Sure it could be luck so far in these situations, still impressive anyways).

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
  • Muasashi has more hit points than any other tier IX Battleship.
  • She has more armour too.
  • She does more AP damage than any other tier IX Battleship.
  • Her HE shells hit harder too.  The only thing they lack is the Royal Navy penetration.

Musashi is the Yamato at tier 9.  She was not nerfed sufficiently to shoe horn her into that tier to be called balanced.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • Her HE shells hit harder too.  The only thing they lack is the Royal Navy penetration.

Musashi is the Yamato at tier 9.  She was not nerfed sufficiently to shoe horn her into that tier to be called balanced.

Ah was wondering when you would join in LWM. Still for a bit more detail check out her review @crazyferret23777

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,844 posts
13,064 battles

Musashi, as in real life, is balanced until she takes a broadside of air launched torpedoes.  Then she capsizes.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
3,824 battles
4 hours ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

I'd take Missouri every time because she's a flat out stronger ship compared to Iowa. Musashi on the other hand is a handicapped Yamato put a tier lower, and the only thing that makes it gives it the OP potential is that lower tier.

Well the Missouri is a slightly stronger Iowa, the Musashi is a slightly weaker Yamato.

View it in this perspective and the Musashi is stronger in its tier than the Missouri is.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
5 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

731f4S9.gif

:Smile_glasses:

It doesn't help the other ships at Tier VII-IX that one of the natural predators of Musashi, Carriers, are very rare :Smile_teethhappy:

The funny part?  A Musashi comes across a Nelson.

Musashi: "That's a nice Repair Party you got there.  It'd be a shame if someone were to... SH*T ON IT!"

The funny part is when a Musashi sneaks into a good firing position and finally opens up, revealing herself, you can watch the ships scatter like roaches in the kitchen when the lights are turned on.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,855 posts
10,641 battles
11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

1st para; Randoms CVs sure, but why Co-op? They annoy me more by forcing me to turn instead of sailing straight to and murdering the CV itself than anything else.

Because the AA is totally useless even in Co-op. It doesn't do diddly.

You can generally dodge the torp drops (most of them anyway - more than 1 squadron at a time though and you will eat torps) while hoping that while doing so it doesn't turn you broadside to any BB guns (always seems to happen to me). It has really good torp protection like Yamato does (56%) so taking a few torps generally isn't the end of the world unless you are low HP already. It is the dive bombers that are it's Achilles heal.

It is too sluggish to maneuver well enough to dodge dive bombers dropping on you. They always get through and pound you because the AA just doesn't knock them down. The bomb damage usually isn't bad but it is the fires. The dive bombers just wear the ship down over a match unless it ends quick and there is nothing you can do about it. The AA is truly abysmal. A Bogue's strike planes could get through.

I have a pathetic 2.47 planes shot down avg per game with a high of 14 in Musashi. And the 14 is a miracle. Also, in almost every instance, the planes you do shoot down are those flying off after they have dropped on you. You almost never shoot one down as it comes in.

I like the ship a lot but the AA is hot garbage.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
9,037 battles

She’s overpowered when you fight her battle. Against destroyers, a half decent CV, or flank her and she gets equalized pretty fast. 

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,539 posts
25,060 battles

Musashi shells do catastrophic damage when they hit. Just like Yamato. Pitting her against Nelson, Gniesenau, Colorado, etc. is just cruel, and she does fine in terms of damaging Tier 10 BBs.  Just like Yamato. 

No one has mentioned that Musashi’s citadel is higher than Yamato’s.  (Edit correction)

Poor handling plus the horribad turret traverse and exposed broadside citadel mean that positioning is vitally important. I’m still learning and don’t especially like the Yamato play style. Watch Flamu’s video on Yamato and positioning:

Missouri is much more maneuverable and it has radar.  If I had to rate the three Free XP ships so far, I’d pick Nelson (partly due to lower cost), Missouri and Musashi last. Why?  I’d rather just play Yamato. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles
2 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

No one has mentioned that Musashi’s citadel is higher than Yamato’s.

Because it isn't, or its so negligible that your more likely to shoot down planes in the shipfu's AA then notice the citadel being "raised".

Members
1,936 posts

Is it true her credit generation,  per Flamu and some others, seems to be less than Missou and more in line with tier 8 premiums?

This is what's  keeping me from the ship

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
3,824 battles
3 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

No one has mentioned that Musashi’s citadel is higher than Yamato’s. 

Because time after time it's been discussed and revealed that the citadel heights are virtually the same as the Yamato and it has no influence on making the Musashi any more vulnerable than the Yamato.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,849 posts
4,742 battles

Musashi is a ship I routinely set on fire and make the people who own it regret grinding for it. 

Sign in to follow this