You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
danhaggerty

What to do if a 'real life' emergency happens during a game?

179 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
3,651 battles

I just had a situation where I started a game, and a real life emergency came up, so I hit exit to port and exited the game. Coming back later on, I see I get a team killer penalty for being non supportive.

While I do understand this is a team game, and I do mean GAME, real life does happen sometimes. you just tell someone to bleed out cause I'm in a GAME?

Maybe then the 'exit' needs to be disabled until defeat or game over? Or there is nothing one can do to leave should something happen in the real world?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

Just deal with your real life emergency. It's more important than a pink username.

Also, instead of hitting exit to port, have you considered setting autopilot to yolo and just leaving the game running, or does your emergency affect your computer?

• Cool 1

Members
106 posts
7,928 battles

I had a situation where my mom tripped on the stairs to her basement trying to get me to do some chores but i was in a middle of a battle. I think she broke her ankle but i couldn't hear her yelling in pain because i had my esports headphones on.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,649 battles

I think if you at least type in chat that you have to deal with an emergency people will be less of a [short for Richard] about it...

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 1

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles
15 minutes ago, danhaggerty said:

I just had a situation where I started a game, and a real life emergency came up, so I hit exit to port and exited the game. Coming back later on, I see I get a team killer penalty for being non supportive.

While I do understand this is a team game, and I do mean GAME, real life does happen sometimes. you just tell someone to bleed out cause I'm in a GAME?

Maybe then the 'exit' needs to be disabled until defeat or game over? Or there is nothing one can do to leave should something happen in the real world?

Why hit back to port...aim ship for a far corner...type a quick going afk to let team know (if there's time based on level of emergency...although IMO if you even have time to exit to port you have a different definition of emergency than me)...& maybe the emergency will resolve itself quicker than you think & you can get back in before battle ends...& if not at least you don't go pink.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[SIM]
Members
2,553 posts
4,192 battles

Nothing happens. Being pink is a warning status, not a penalty status. Solve your emergency, then go back to gaming when everything is taken care of. 

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles
12 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Just deal with your real life emergency. It's more important than a pink username.

Also, instead of hitting exit to port, have you considered setting autopilot to yolo and just leaving the game running, or does your emergency affect your computer?

This.  If I have to afk, I just put the auto turn on, and spin doughnuts in the backfield.  RL comes first though.  A TK penalty is really no big deal.

Members
33 posts
3,651 battles

It isnt so much pink I dont care but mainly was wondering what people normaly do. I thought the exit to port removed one from the game, never done it during a game  before. Sounds like there really isn't a 'exit strategy' if something does come up. I though maybe I dodn't know or there was a way to exit properly if needed to

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

This kind of scenario makes me wonder why Razer hasn't developed and marketed a line of gaming diapers.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles
4 minutes ago, danhaggerty said:

I thought the exit to port removed one from the game

It removes the player from the game (as you can't log back in once you've exited but your ship just stops where you last were & only 2ndaries & AA function if anything gets close enough).

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,963 posts
10,751 battles
34 minutes ago, danhaggerty said:

Real life takes precedence over  a game each and every time all the time. IF anyone thinks otherwise they are the ones with screwed up priorities.

"IF" you have time type a quick message saying something like emergency got to go will try and get back. Then just go. Don't exit. Leave the ship in the game. If it is so serious every second counts just drop everything and go.

NEVER let a real life emergency slide over a game. 

Now, if you know something is coming up or might come up it is probably best to just not play until you are sure it is safe. That is showing respect for others. But if it is something that just happens mid game go deal with it and have a clear conscience. Again, this is just a game.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 11

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles
11 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Why hit back to port...aim ship for a far corner...type a quick going afk to let team know (if there's time based on level of emergency...although IMO if you even have time to exit to port you have a different definition of emergency than me)...& maybe the emergency will resolve itself quicker than you think & you can get back in before battle ends.

What I would do is just set 5 auto pilot waypoints that are long range since in the rare event of an emergency your ship will be active and you might avoid being pink.

• Cool 2

Members
707 posts
4,406 battles

When someone finally dies because the person responsible for saving them can't stop thinking about how his account in World of Warships is going to go pink for a game I hope WG will finally realize its mistake and put this long nightmare of undeserved pink behind us. It's shattered too many lives. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,723 posts
9,112 battles
1 hour ago, danhaggerty said:

If a real life emergency happens you tell the team you have to bail and accept the pink status for inactivity. If these things are happening too often consider not playing WoWS during periods when they are likely.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,453 posts
4,302 battles

Hit W four times and YOLO to your doom if it's that urgent. Then go to the emergency. Your secondaries or AA may even hit something, or set it on fire and burn it down.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Being pink isn't a big deal. Playing co-op isn't a big deal. I hear thousands of players voluntarily play co-op for the fun of it.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CO_OP]
Beta Testers
160 posts
2,828 battles

why are people even asking this question.... feels like some people need some common sense .. this is a game 

• Cool 3

Members
33 posts
3,651 battles

I think alot of responders missed my point.  I was asking if there is a proper way to exit built into the game or a proper protocol. Got some good answers, others seem to answer like I am a [edited].  I just didn't know if there is a certain or proper way to leave or not

[-AVA-]
Members
143 posts
7,539 battles
1 hour ago, Rocketpacman said:

When someone finally dies because the person responsible for saving them can't stop thinking about how his account in World of Warships is going to go pink for a game I hope WG will finally realize its mistake and put this long nightmare of undeserved pink behind us. It's shattered too many lives. 

So being pink is shattering lives?

Wow.

Just wow.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, danhaggerty said:

Never Put any game above Real life situations. Screw the Game.

I would rather deal with Pink status than a Funeral.

• Cool 1

[PRDEF]
Members
80 posts
3,604 battles

There is no proper exit protocol built into the game.  If you hit "Esc" and exit the battle while still alive, you'll get a penalty for leaving battle early.  For me, if I've got time to drop a quick message in chat, I will.  I'll also set a few waypoints on the map to try and keep vision for the team.  If it's urgent, I'm off to handle my business without a second thought.

Also, as you've seen, there are some shipmates here who view going AFK as a some sort of crime against humanity that should be punished in the most severe manner.  I find this mindset disturbing, considering we are talking about a game.

• Cool 2

Members
4,581 posts
6,535 battles
7 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Never Put any game above Real life situations. Screw the Game.

I would rather deal with Pink status than a Funeral.

Rational

[YORHA]
Members
3,361 posts

You aim your ship at the nearest neutral or red cap and set it at half speed.  Leave the game running.  At least that way you can draw some fire and do some good for the team.  Running to a corner is just as bad as leaving the battle.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,279 posts
7,899 battles

Becoming Pink is just a warning for you not to AFK again in the near future -- Orange is the status you want to avoid which is repeating the same offense sequentially. If you're not pink, going pink for a while is not going to punish your game in any meaningful ways. So attend to your real life emergency, just don't play again while pink until you're sure you can get rid of your pink status safely.

Edited by Woofship