You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OlTanker

MM question

24 comments in this topic

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

What in the name of neptune's navel lint do you have to do to get away from being saddled with potato teams 70% of the time? I have been studying and working to better my own stats in the game on several tiers of boats in the US, German and Japanese lines (DD cruiser and BB) but I can't make much headway when I keep getting sunk into teams who either have no clue that capping wins games or they decide to go guns a blazing into a nest of enemy cruisers and BB's single file until I am the last one left on the team. I understand that I am far far from a "good" player but for crying out loud I can't carry the darn battle with a team that makes me look GOOD. IO have games where I get 45k to almost 80K or more of damage but it all goes down the drain because the rest of the team is such a waste of oxygen. Heck i had one game today where I had an internet block and when I came back tried to do my best. I was top player with 2k damage. Please for the love of sushi stop slamming me into the sewer of teams......... Ye gads I am so freaking frustrated......

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,795 battles

I am a pretty casual player when it comes to randoms; so, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but in my experience, your teams in randoms will run the gauntlet from terrible to great with everything in between. It is just the way it is. You can mitigate this to some degree by division-ing up with other players.

But aye. It can be frustrating at times.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,700 posts
9,112 battles

Get better, for real. I am sorry but you are one of the potatoes. You need to work on the basics - when to attack and how to attack. Looking at your stats and your survival rate it appears that you are actually too tentative.

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

I never said I wasn't a poor to average player. I cannot get good however when I get MM that sets me up to win one game and lose the next 5 - 7 - 9 games in a row. I have tried to play for 3 days in a row now. I get one win and have 5 to 6 losses before I get fed up with this crap and leave for the day. Today was a great example. Won the second battle but played in 7 battles. Only had the one win. My stats are NOT going to get better as long as I continue to get slammed with teams like that on the majority of the games I play. I am not talking about 60%, lately (April and May) it's been 90%.

Edited by OlTanker

Members
18,354 posts
5,238 battles
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM, OlTanker said:

IO have games where I get 45k to almost 80K or more of damage but it all goes down the drain because the rest of the team is such a waste of oxygen.

Something to keep in mind is that often, you'll get those 45-80k damage games because the rest of the team is a waste of oxygen.

A game I had today in Bismarck, I travelled with a Conq, Moskva, DM, and a Benson. We went from one side of the map to the other, sank 9 out of 12 enemies, and took 3 caps. We rolled like a well-oiled machine, and went through the enemy like a hot knife through butter.

I ended up with 31K damage, and (on a standard account) a net profit of 563 credits. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Skpstr

Members
3,490 posts
6,189 battles

MM does not know how any individual will play so it really can't determine which team will lose and MM doer snot pick players out and make sure they don't win.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
On 4/30/2018 at 5:55 PM, OlTanker said:

What in the name of neptune's navel lint do you have to do to get away from being saddled with potato teams 70% of the time? I have been studying and working to better my own stats in the game on several tiers of boats in the US, German and Japanese lines (DD cruiser and BB) but I can't make much headway when I keep getting sunk into teams who either have no clue that capping wins games or they decide to go guns a blazing into a nest of enemy cruisers and BB's single file until I am the last one left on the team. I understand that I am far far from a "good" player but for crying out loud I can't carry the darn battle with a team that makes me look GOOD. IO have games where I get 45k to almost 80K or more of damage but it all goes down the drain because the rest of the team is such a waste of oxygen. Heck i had one game today where I had an internet block and when I came back tried to do my best. I was top player with 2k damage. Please for the love of sushi stop slamming me into the sewer of teams......... Ye gads I am so freaking frustrated......

Well I can't answer as Neptunes Lint {lol} But It is the nature of the beast called World of Warships. There are no rituals or sacrifices you or anyone else can do to get Starch Free {potatoes}games. No amount of Cash or Credit will nullify the effect of the MM. Try to do your best to Carry the team to victory. Not an easy task but an Honorable one.

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

Another day, 1 win 6 losses. Going to keep posting daily results to show how crewed up MM is.

Edited by OlTanker

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

After 5 blowout losses in a row I decided not to continue to try and get my 1 token win for the day.

[FML]
Members
1,776 posts
10,159 battles
On 01/05/2018 at 8:55 AM, OlTanker said:

Hi. Yes it can get frustrating, but the good news is that you don’t need your team to win in order to keep improving yourself. Players who critically reflect on what just happened (eg, I was too focused on shooting down range and didn’t change my course and speed, that’s why I just ate a bunch of torps), surprisingly rapidly improves your overall play. I, even still, get a feeling of “shouldn’t do this, but going to anyway” immediately prior to getting killed - it makes the critical reflection much easier. 

I’d be happy to division with you if we’re both online at the same time. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,859 posts
13,076 battles

In the long run, it should equal out.  I've had terrible random experiences over the past several days.  Some of the worst play I've seen in a while...and a win rate in the 40s to boot.  But I just take it in stride.  At some point I'll have runs in the 60s...and a long term rate in the mid to upper 50s.  It is what it is.  Take the good with the bad.  Try to have fun.  And press on.

Edit: Not to mention, I still have potato moments here and there.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,700 posts
9,112 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

In the long run, it should equal out.  I've had terrible random experiences over the past several days.  Some of the worst play I've seen in a while...and a win rate in the 40s to boot.  But I just take it in stride.  At some point I'll have runs in the 60s...and a long term rate in the mid to upper 50s.  It is what it is.  Take the good with the bad.  Try to have fun.  And press on.

This, to many people lose track of that and only see the bad while ignoring the good.

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

Should even out but doesn't.

Saturday the 12th had 6 wins 5 losses.

Sun the 13th 7 each

Mon the 14th 1 win 7 losses.

Members
18,354 posts
5,238 battles
12 minutes ago, OlTanker said:

Sun the 13th 7 each

It's not necessarily going to even out day by day.

I find I tend to go in cycles of a week or two.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,859 posts
13,076 battles
3 hours ago, OlTanker said:

Sun the 13th 7 each

As one statistician said...which I will paraphrase here:  Events don't really "even out" in the sense of some greater balance.  Events going forward do not "remember" past events and somehow manage to offset a series of events that is significantly off mean.  Rather, the events going forward, when aggregated under the same statistic, will simply swamp out the prior off mean events.  

We say things "even out" because that is the realization in practical terms as the aggregated "swamps" out the offsets.

[NOBS]
Members
552 posts
5,979 battles

We live in a culture of "me first" and play a game of "team first". 12 individuals will get beat by 2 groups of 2 working together most of the time. It's not easy, but I do try my best to pair up with a boat early in the fight. Be a leader in chat, or back up a leader in chat. 

And as far as winning and losing, if I lose but learn from it, I'll be better. If something isn't working, continuing with it will result in the same. If my team gets wiped out, what did the red team do? If a single boat is successful, what did they do? If there is a spot on the map full of dead boats, good chance it will always be a killing zone. 

I agree, it will be nice when the learning curve is more of a hill then a mountain. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
On 01/05/2018 at 8:55 AM, OlTanker said:

On 10/05/2018 at 6:25 AM, OlTanker said:

I never said I wasn't a poor to average player. I cannot get good however when I get MM that sets me up to win one game and lose the next 5 - 7 - 9 games in a row. I have tried to play for 3 days in a row now. I get one win and have 5 to 6 losses before I get fed up with this crap and leave for the day. Today was a great example. Won the second battle but played in 7 battles. Only had the one win. My stats are NOT going to get better as long as I continue to get slammed with teams like that on the majority of the games I play. I am not talking about 60%, lately (April and May) it's been 90%.

The first part of your post is how far people get when they read it, it comes off as another whine thread.

I looked at your stats, you have room for improvement, its on you to make this happen, sure teams are what help you win, but what are you doing to help your team.

Have you learnt how to aim correctly, I would say you have not, again numbers do not lie.

You need to get back to the basics, go back to playing BB as they're more forgiving, and play in tier 4 so you can learn first without getting punished in 2 seconds.

I watched ichases how to aim video ages ago and it made a huge difference in my ability to hit ships properly, but there are newer ones now so watch them all.

Armour angling, is especially important for tanking damage and keeping you in the game, staying in the game is paramount for doing the most you can do for you and your team.

Sticking to the objectives, and not chasing people, that are no longer part of the match, ( to far away to influence )

If I were you I would stay in T 4 and learn, the next step would be to learn how to play a DD well.  It will make you a better BB player, as you will gain the knowledge of what it takes to torps a BB.

Learn to use the F3 button to call targets, people love shooting low health people for the kill, don't waste a 30 second reload on a target that has 300hp when there are other ones with a higher potential to either damage or kill them, unless you have no choice (people not shooting them/your the only one with a shot on them/you need the kill for a mission)

Go into the training room with some bots and learn where to shoot different types of ships

In your settings make sure you have "alternative battle interface" turned on, "hit terrain" on, "smoke indicators" turned on

Give cruisers a rest till you get the basics down.

You can only do your best with what is handed to you as far as teams go, but do not underestimate what you can do if you play well.

But mostly have fun, once you start getting more citadels, 1 shotting CA's, or dev striking BB with torps, you will see, your personal stats improving dramatically.

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

After the 17th, 4 losses in a row out of 4 games played, I decided that I would play until I got 3 losses in a row. After that I just shut the game off as it isn't worth my time and damn sure not worth my money. Since then, the19th and today the 20th I played a total of 6 games over both days. Yup all losses. Like I said the MM is not balanced it is not random.

Edited by OlTanker

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

Decided to keep track of the last week of the month. So far I have shut the game off after 3 losses in a row each day. Highest number of games played in the last 6 days was 5. Had 3 days where I won the first game then lost the next 3. Had 2 days where I just had 3 losses in a row, no wins. Only one day with 2 wins at first then MM dumped on me as usual.  This ain't random MM this is the freaking norm and it sucks. it needs to be changed or just forget about keeping any new players.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
9,013 battles

With the overabundance of radar gripes today, someone just HAD to make an MM thread for the sake of balance.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

With the overabundance of radar gripes today, someone just HAD to make an MM thread for the sake of balance.

This thread is older.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
9,013 battles
3 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

This thread is older.

They're all getting old.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

They're all getting old.

Same thing, different day, different week, every week.