Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackBinary

Coming from clan battles, ranked feels pretty awful.

44 comments in this topic

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
570 posts
3,350 battles

As always, carriers have way too much influence. A skill disparity in your carriers determines the match before it begins.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Members
9,959 posts

Funny how they admit they are too unbalanced to run in Clan Wars, particularly with smaller teams, yet perfectly ok in Ranked, with the same numbers....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Funny how they admit they are too unbalanced to run in Clan Wars, particularly with smaller teams, yet perfectly ok in Ranked, with the same numbers....:Smile_teethhappy:

Seems like WG wants to shoe horn in carriers wherever possible. And yet they admit they can't balance them. :Smile_facepalm:

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,672 battles

this is exactly why i immediate press esc when i see 1 in carrier count

• Cool 4

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,799 posts
10,299 battles

Oh, I thought the main problems are:

• The map choices and layouts (where they differ from CB) are garbage
  • Maps don't work with randoms and encourage the most static, selfish play possible
  • Lack of class restrictions make for some crummy 4xBB 1xCA games rather too frequently

Most importantly:

• I spawn and within seconds I realize I'm playing with 6 people who I fundamentally despise, rather than 6 friends (but that's just me)

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

And yet CVs in ranked are still incredibly rare.

You are not allowed to counteract peoples' attempts at exaggeration and overemphasis.

Anyways, Ranked is Randoms, but in smaller team format and far more saltier.

Selfishness is the key in Ranked, as "teamplay" gets you rekt and thus, very likely to lose your star.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-NQ-]
Members
47 posts
3,537 battles

CVs just put too much power in one person's hands. I don't like being able to tell whose team is going to win before the battle starts.

A rather extreme case of this is a game I had earlier today. We had a pink CV with a patch next to his name, and the enemy team had a CV with a "Aircraft Carrier Commander. Elite Forces" emblem next to his name. My guess was completely correct, and we got steamrolled.

Also, I've found that I can determine which team is going to win with a rather high degree of accuracy just by looking at the symbol people have in front of their name, even when there are no CVs. It seems there is a very strong correlation between the symbol in front of a players name and the players skill level.

Edited by Xanderzoo123
first grade spelling

Members
9,959 posts
10 minutes ago, cometguy said:

And yet CVs in ranked are still incredibly rare.

Pretty hilarious coming from a Carrier main, who only plays carriers in ranked....:cap_hmm:

I don't bother with ranked, so I have no concerns either way ...but unless you're blind, carriers in a 7 vs 7 format are completely unbalanced....:Smile_teethhappy:

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,672 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Pretty hilarious coming from a Carrier main, who only plays carriers in ranked....:cap_hmm:

I don't bother with ranked, so I have no concerns either way ...but unless you're blind, carriers in a 7 vs 7 format are completely unbalanced....:Smile_teethhappy:

they are rare not because they are weak, but because the moment you show up, you start seeing in-que numbers move down then back up, and next thing you know, it's 1cv+5NC/kii+1kidd per side or 1cv+5dm/mino+1grozo per side(IF there actually is another CV in que)

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 2

Members
28 posts
4,995 battles

Carriers should just be removed completely. Because there isn't a way to balance them. The whole point of carriers was to dominate the sea and sky. And they did just that. Battleships used to be the backbone of a navy, and the strength of a nation was estimated by just how many battleships it had. Now we build fleets around carriers, and battleships don't even exist except as floating (or maybe not so much) museums. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
7 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

they are rare not because they are weak, but because the moment you show up, you start seeing in-que numbers move down then back up, and next thing you know, it's 1cv+5NC/kii+1kidd per side or 1cv+5dm/mino+1grozo per side(IF there actually is another CV in que)

This is also my experience. Most people I know bail out of queue if they have the opportunity when they see a Carrier hanging out in Q.

I've personally had a fun run so far in Ranked. I rather the clan wars format but the timing made it tough for me to participate with the specific windows. Ranked is easier to access for me, it's all the time.  In my 9 games played I've gone 7-2, but most of all have had a good deal of fun and some very good teams.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,724 posts
7,682 battles

I dislike being unable to play with my friends. Nothing like having someone else you can depend on to help pick up the slack and who is incredibly cool with things. As someone who primarily plays this game with a friend being unable to share the experience is incredibly unappealing.

People in ranked can also get incredibly salty for the smallest things while the CB team I played on took the ups and downs without any tempers flaring or heated words being exchanged. Nothing like those players who wont work with the team and then loudmouth in chat when things inevitably start going south.

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
16 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

This is also my experience. Most people I know bail out of queue if they have the opportunity when they see a Carrier hanging out in Q.

I've personally had a fun run so far in Ranked. I rather the clan wars format but the timing made it tough for me to participate with the specific windows. Ranked is easier to access for me, it's all the time.  In my 9 games played I've gone 7-2, but most of all have had a good deal of fun and some very good teams.

Most people I know wouldn't care if there was a carrier in que, they aren't that childish. You'd find it easier to get stuck with someone double dropping CV's to farm their bot doing that. I find it strange, but I have yet to see a CV game in ranked, seen a few in que, but didn't actually have them in a match. If I did keep getting bad CV's, I'd just bring my own. Makes it easier to point fingers at the bad CV.

The potato players have been like a plague, my favorites I've heard so far are:

"You go ahead, I'm gonna hide by this island" from a NC driver.

"I'm better of tanking in C" where said Bismarck got torped to death.

"Asashio can't torp cruisers right?" "Last I heard no?" Comments in general right before a red Asashio put torps under our Chapayev, and then called [edited] when they didn't connect. He apparently didn't understand what he had bought.

So no, CV's haven't been bad, they've been non-existent. Had enough potatoes on teams to make me think I had moved to Idaho. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
20 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I dislike being unable to play with my friends. Nothing like having someone else you can depend on to help pick up the slack and who is incredibly cool with things. As someone who primarily plays this game with a friend being unable to share the experience is incredibly unappealing.

I often don't play nearly as much as I'd like to, mostly because I don't often have people to play with. I find this game needs play with friends/buddies in order to really enjoy it. If I'm overly negative about the game it's usually because I haven't been divisioning lately and solo play has ground me down.

Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles
25 minutes ago, MajorHavoc said:

I thought deep water torps DID hit cruisers?

Asashio is the exception...only BBs & CVs...but the are very fast & go 20km.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Hey, I play what I'm good at. But I'm never going to rank out because no one plays them. If all it took to rank out was to play CV, and be better than the other CV, why aren't more people playing them?

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
2 hours ago, JackBinary said:

As always, carriers have way too much influence. A skill disparity in your carriers determines the match before it begins.

Lol this yet another reason I wanted Tier 6 or 7 Ranked because at those tiers the CVs gain a lot less influence with more limited supplies of planes and good AA on many ships that can empty a CV hangar.

• Cool 1

[OPEC]
Members
943 posts
5,108 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

So no, CV's haven't been bad, they've been non-existent. Had enough potatoes on teams to make me think I had moved to Idaho. 

Hey!  Some of us in here might live in Idaho.  Besides, ranked so far for me has been filled with not only potatoes, but plenty of other root vegetables.  :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

[WNNR]
[WNNR]
Members
225 posts
12,881 battles

Stop crying about CVs, CVs are the top of the food chain. If you use proper tactics you can combat a CV.Even with a sub-par  CV on your team. And yes I hate seeing CVs, but I understand that they made BBs obsolete, in WWII.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

And what is sad is that they refuse to fix either one.

2 hours ago, jason199506 said:

they are rare not because they are weak

No, they are rare because of the horrible and ongoing skills gap between a beginning CV player and a Unicum CV player. The Unicum CV player can run wild across the map while the beginning CV player usually gets his lunch money taken away and then severely spanked. That is why you see so few CVs in the game, because they're just impossible to get good at fast enough while veteran CV players can dominate them, and the rest of the match, so easily

2 hours ago, Trowa03 said:

Because there isn't a way to balance them.

There IS a way to balance them; remove fighters and remove manual drops, then review the NEW meta in the game; say after 6 months or so which gives the devs some time to get a good look.

1 hour ago, MajorHavoc said:

I thought deep water torps DID hit cruisers?

Pan-Asian deep water torps DO hit cruisers; Asashio deep water torps do not!

15 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

Stop crying about CVs, CVs are the top of the food chain.

And that is the problem; in a balanced game, no one is supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,243 posts
7,212 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

Hey, I play what I'm good at. But I'm never going to rank out because no one plays them. If all it took to rank out was to play CV, and be better than the other CV, why aren't more people playing them?

Gah!

Too much logic!!!

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol this yet another reason I wanted Tier 6 or 7 Ranked because at those tiers the CVs gain a lot less influence with more limited supplies of planes and good AA on many ships that can empty a CV hangar.

I'd be all over tier 6 ranked again, especially if there was a third tier 6 CV, binary matchmaking kinda sucks.

At Tier 7, only the truly dedicated would be complaining about CV's, all the other whiners would be complaining about the Belfast's

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles
3 hours ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

People in ranked can also get incredibly salty for the smallest things while the CB team I played on took the ups and downs without any tempers flaring or heated words being exchanged. Nothing like those players who wont work with the team and then loudmouth in chat when things inevitably start going south.

I'm the opposite view. If my clan synch drops, we normally end up on the other side. That means for me to win, they would have to lose and vice versa.

The maps and cap points are the same. Enough that you can give  "suggestion's and there enough clan members who would know what you mean.

Sign in to follow this