You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SteelClaw

I agree with this video 100%

18 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

This has already been discussed here, but it's probably several pages down now.

He makes good points, but he weakens his argument by routinely posting games with enormously high damage totals. Perhaps he is trying to expiate his sins? IDK.

I disagree with farming damage just to pad XP, but ultimately damage is the only way you kill ships, and I don't think we've yet seen a game where a team loses the game when all its ships are still afloat.

• Cool 1

Members
798 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This has already been discussed here, but it's probably several pages down now.

He makes good points, but he weakens his argument by routinely posting games with enormously high damage totals. Perhaps he is trying to expiate his sins? IDK.

I disagree with farming damage just to pad XP, but ultimately damage is the only way you kill ships, and I don't think we've yet seen a game where a team loses the game when all its ships are still afloat.

True, but the main thing i see is that it encourages camping. Why should a DD go spot taking a huge chance of getting sunk and get crap XP for spotting while the guy camping gets a ton of XP for damaging what the DD spots....etc.

Edited by SteelClaw
  • Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,694 battles

this is why i am pretty happy with the introduction of spotting damage and potential damage into the battle UI in the most recent patch

may mission briefings i also saw a few missions requiring a certain amount of potential damage

they have started to move in the right direction, just give them a bit more time

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 2

Members
798 posts
1 minute ago, jason199506 said:

this is why i am pretty happy with the introduction of spotting damage and potential damage into the battle UI in the most recent patch

may mission briefings i also saw a few missions requiring a certain amount of potential damage

they have started to move in the right direction, just give them a bit more time

Awesome!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't think we've yet seen a game where a team loses the game when all its ships are still afloat.

Early quick caps were somewhat common, before the player base got an understanding in how the game really works, in standard battle and I saw that from both sides.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,443 posts
11,731 battles

Every player needs to ask themselves, what is my goal, when hitting the battle button.

Is it to increase WTR,  W/R, AVG DAM, OR KDR?

I mean, this is a game where best stat wins right?

Farming solo he damage on a Conq will not win a match, but 3 or more focusing him may.

This is a team game tryi g to get a bunch of Yolo players working together.

Most of us just potato around, trying out best as we understand it, while trying to have fun.

Ranked has shown me players still don' get it, teamwork and I map control most often wins,  not kill em all.

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

People are focused on damage numbers just as they are in other games ... because they don't get that there's more to be proud of than big damage numbers. Hell, even on replays or on Youtube, it's always the large number games that are shared, not the boring heavy support ones where a players runs around capping three caps and shooting down 30 planes. Also doesn't help that WTR, which is considered this sacred cow by far too many players here, only takes into account damage for the most part, and kills next. Not what you're shooting at, not how many bases you cap, not how much you tanked for the team or spotted ... well, you get the idea. It's a whole lot easier for a cruiser player to rack up huge damage numbers by setting fires on battleships than it is shooting at enemy DDs sitting in caps. So they ignore that DD, even if killing that DD actually ends up being much more valuable to them and the team.

Easy solution: Add another statistic called "% damage inflicted" that is a reflection of *effective* damage. So a cruiser who burns away 50k health from a tier 10 BB might get a score of 50%, whereas another cruiser who tossed out 40k damage and killed two tier 10 destroyers could get a score of 200%.

Also, the ONLY goal a player should ever have in a game is winning. I never ever look at a player's damage stats for me to know how good he is. I see how many solo games he's won.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
9,345 battles

Big problem with not capping early is that IF the other team gets anywhere close to the cap they will spot your heavy units and they will get shot at before they can return fire...enemy CAs can hide in smoke closer to the cap and be much more effective.  DDs that sit back to farm damage are not helping the team, they cannot do more damage than whats being done to their heavy units.  It is unfortunate that rating systems depend so much on damage and kills, which of course are important but its not what wins the game.  Ever been in a game where your team was  up 3-4 ships and lost cause they got capped out...that is a bad loss.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Personally, I'm all about the win. Usually that means staying alive longer to kill more enemy ships or contest caps longer till help arrives. Sometimes it means cashing out early with a ram to make sure you take one more enemy ship out with you since you're about to go down anyway. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,242 battles
2 hours ago, jason199506 said:

this is why i am pretty happy with the introduction of spotting damage and potential damage into the battle UI in the most recent patch.

Was it? I keep trying to see that, and all that shows up is regular damage... (except for on the detailed report page, of course.)

Is there something under settings I need to toggle?

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

First i agree with flamu.

However, he plays from a competitive standpoint most of the time. His focus is not all players focus.

The only time i see people damage farming that isnt useful, is when they focus on an AFK rather than the guns that are shooting. Unless that kill changes the score.

I was happy they heard him (and others) and added the other counters in game. I hope they consider more of his suggestions in that video.

But that will not change everyone.

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,694 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Was it? I keep trying to see that, and all that shows up is regular damage... (except for on the detailed report page, of course.)

bottom right corner of settings page, above "language bar" and "show time in port"

beside "display team lineup"

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yes, under settings, the 2 checkboxes below the damage counter.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,242 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

bottom right corner of settings page, above "language bar" and "show time in port"

beside "display team lineup"

1 hour ago, c3shooter said:

Yes, under settings, the 2 checkboxes below the damage counter.

Thanks.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

@c3shooter - I will take the time to kill an AFK because there's no guarantee they'll stay that way. I've come back partway through and done significant damage on some occasions, and I don't trust others not to do so.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@c3shooter - I will take the time to kill an AFK because there's no guarantee they'll stay that way. I've come back partway through and done significant damage on some occasions, and I don't trust others not to do so.

In no way did i mean it should not be taken out, but i recall 3 or 4 times watching people getting shot by another player and focusing on the afk. That is mind numbingly annoying. I mean set a quick fire on afk sure, or launch torps. But then clear your area before finishing an afk'r.

Like many things, there are nuances to good play. Everything has a time and place. Damage can win a game, but not at the expense of what needs to be done to win.